Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I can see ehlers being a bit of a difficult player to play with to start because of his puck carrying abilities and ability to cut in and out east and west at high speed. I agree with you I hink they'll be fine as the season progresses. It's not like they're bad right now either.
Much. I don't think he has any natural chemistry with Ehlers (though that might come with time), but I think he has looked like a #1C the past couple of games, and the stats (obviously not particularly reliable over a 2 game sample) backs the eye-test up.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
I genuinely think Mark Scheifele is an exceptional player. I think he's getting a bit of a bad rap because he's playing against other top lines (McDavid / Matthews, etc) and his internal wiring is to go score goals rather than defend. His defensive woes have been discussed ad nauseam so I'm not looking to spark old debate.

This is what I need to get off my chest - and it's a pet peeve of mine! Selfishness.

Certainly not saying he's a selfish guy in everyday life, perhaps he's wonderfully generous with his friends / families / charities / etc ...

I'm talking on ice selfishness. With his ice time so high over the last few years, I've really noticed a pattern of always being the last guy (on his line) to change. No matter the situation, he's ALWAYS the last guy to come off the ice. It's one thing to lurk for an extra offensive chance when the opportunity presents itself. It's another to constantly *hope* an offensive chance will come your way as justification to extend your shift.

It's even worst on the Power Play. He'll always find a reason to not change unless there's a whistle. The puck can be dumped out three times, all other players have changed, and he'll *involve* himself just enough to justify not changing. The PP1 unit has remained the same all year, so their PP ice time should be relatively similar. Yet Scheifele has played 57 mins while Wheeler / Stastny etc are at 47 mins ... that's purely *stealing* time from the 'next guy up'.

Lastly, if the Jets are ever in a situation where they have the lead late in the game and the opposing net is empty, HE WILL NEVER COME OFF THE ICE UNTIL A WHISTLE. Watch Lowry in contrast ... plays 40 secs, they chip puck out of zone (not icing) and he bolts to the bench. Sheifele will ALWAYS play 90-120 secs straight even with multiple dump outs. Again, the *pretend involvement* as justification to not change in hope's of scoring an empty net point.

Not sure if this ever bothers the Centre's playing behind him ... but I know when I play, if the guy in front of me does that crap, it absolutely eats away at me. *Stealing* ice time from teammates is just selfish after awhile.

Again, I think he's a great hockey player ...

Reactions: dlam and Mbraunm

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have noticed that Scheifele tends to extend his shifts longer than others. Some of it might be on coaches (who might tell him to stay on longer on the PP, or to change last among his line's forwards). Also, Scheifele is almost certainly fitter than most teammates.

Even so, Scheifele's average shift length over the past 3+ seasons was only 2 seconds more than Connor, 3 seconds more than Laine, and 4 seconds more than Stastny. Wheeler, who is often castigated for long shift lengths ranks 5th among Jets regular forwards in average shift length.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
He seems to be *leaning into* this trend:

This year alone, his average shift length is 57 secs (NHL average is 46).

Amongst Jets forwards this season:

Scheifele - 57 secs
Connor - 53 secs
Stastny - 50 secs
Wheeler - 49 secs
Ehlers - 49 secs
Copp - 48 secs
Harkins - 45 secs
Perreault - 45 secs
Appleton - 45 secs
Lowry - 44 secs

Obvsiously, the top 4 guys play PP1 so that is a longer shift. But kind of shows that in all scenarios, he's always the last to change. Even amongst in PP unit, he's the last to come off. This should balance over time, but it never does ... depending on puck placement, you're either 1st, 2nd or 3rd to come off for a change.

Reactions: Channelcat

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The shift length for 55 to me is emblematic as a guy who doesn’t play much in transition...it’s either going well and they are set up in the O zone or they are buried in the D zone and can’t get across the blue line.

Reactions: Jet

Whileee

May 29, 2010

49:05 interview starts

Really enjoyed this Scheifele certainly seems enthusiastic about this Jets team, and seems to genuinely like Maurice. Looks like he and PLD be hitting it off, too.

Reactions: GNP

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

One of the best Scheif interviews I have ever listened to. You really start to understand how deep he thinks this game.
Fun interview, and a podcast worth following.

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Really enjoyed this Scheifele certainly seems enthusiastic about this Jets team, and seems to genuinely like Maurice. Looks like he and PLD be hitting it off, too.
1. Found it interesting Connor said the same thing yesterday, really likes this team
2. PLD and Scheif, on the bench looks like they were having a chuckle together, good to see.

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just to put Scheifele's season in a bit of perspective. He is currently 6th in points despite getting less TOI per game minutes than all 5 players ahead of him. His current pace of 1.47 points per game would put him on 120 point pace for an 82 point season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad