Mark Scheifele potential

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Well yeah, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but whether they want to air it or not is up to them.

when you choose to air such a controversial opinion in such an abrasive manner, you should really know what to expect.

personally, he says all the right things and seems very committed to his development, so I'm fairly hopeful we'll see him crack the big squad next year, and it's only going to be up from there. If he ends up in the AHL, it's all good but as far as I can tell he's smart enough, it just depends on how much he can bulk up.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Glad to know you are a professional scout, I'll make sure to ask for your opinion next time for sure :sarcasm:. The kid is beating kids, great. When it came to playing with the big boys 11 games can make or break you in a professional tryout (which is what he was given). He didn't make the cut, that isn't to say he won't, ever, just not yet, and IN MY OPINION it won't be next year either.

He will be sent to the Rock and in 2 seasons he may be ready. He won't take Little's job unless Little starts to tank, with the Winnipeg Jets he is destined to Cap at 2C unless we pickup a better 2C then he will be bumped to 3C.

I literally have no idea what your position is anymore. :laugh:

Best case scenario, Mark Scheifele's career-best production will resemble ___?

BTW, my answer would be: best case is Eric Staal type production, most likely consistent 20G 35A production, floor would be as an ok 2nd line C/great 3rd line C who typically cracks 40 points.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ive been MIA from these boards for a few days but needed to chime in on this thread. Schief will be a beauty and most of us know it. I see him at worst developing into a Zajac type player. But he has more upside as his scoring touch is far superior so he may end up as a Spezza type player.
I don't know if those are the best comparisons but I know one thing, he will be a great player for years to come!

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I would of liked to see Scheifele stick with the Jets this season and get his feet wet centering the third line. I see the same scenario next year with Little, Jokinen, Burmistrov and Slater returning. He is not a winger so I see Scheifele spending the majority of the season in St Johns.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm with those who see a bright future for Scheifele. Top potential I think he has the vision and offensive skills to become a legit #1 C. The floor is a 2nd - 3rd line tweener that has a tough time finding a role. What he has going for him is an exceptional work ethic and attitude, so IMO he is more likely to reach his top potential then fall to his floor.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele likes to park himself in front of the net. Being able to do that in the NHL is no easy task. I think with time he will be exactly what the Jets need.
1st or 2nd line Centre. Having someone to feed Kane is a huge void on this team.
im not even looking at what the floor might be at this point.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
This kid will be a solid NHL player....too much drive and smarts not to make it IMO.....Floor is a 3rd line center....he will prob top out as a very good 2nd line center or a bottom half NHL 1st line center man.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jason Spezza is an interesting comparison. I hadn't thought that he had that level of offensive upside, but he has really improved. His hands, shot and vision have continued to improve.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Everyone gives him too much praise. He's still weak on the puck or gets knocked over. I believe sending him back to Barrie was a mistake because he isn't learning anything. He's tearing up that league again.

If the Jets would've sent him to St Johns where he would have some NHL exposure then he would've been able to develop his strength on the puck, boards and on his feet.

I fear that if he makes the team next year the fans will get on him for not scoring or losing the puck a lot.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Everyone gives him too much praise. He's still weak on the puck or gets knocked over. I believe sending him back to Barrie was a mistake because he isn't learning anything. He's tearing up that league again.

If the Jets would've sent him to St Johns where he would have some NHL exposure then he would've been able to develop his strength on the puck, boards and on his feet.

I fear that if he makes the team next year the fans will get on him for not scoring or losing the puck a lot.

Yes, that would have been a great plan. I wonder why they didn't do that? Hmmmmm.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

There is no such thing as 'the fans', but rather, 'some fans'.
Pesonally, I see Scheif developing exactly according to plan. He has not dominated Juniors at a ~ 2PPG pace until the past few months. That was the ultimate OHL target. Next comes the pros.
Whether he succeeds on the Jets next year or the year after is inconsequential, but anyone who has watched his progress objectively, or can extrapolate from a growth chart--including most pro scouts--knows that he will succeed.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
To me the big thing is that Scheifele is starting to win over the third party scouts who thought he wasn't a top10 pick at the time of the draft.

Guys who thought he was projecting to be a 2nd-to-3rd line tweener are now starting to say he has the vision to possibly become a legit 1st line centre.
These aren't guys who wear homer goggles and they say it how they think it (doesn't mean they are always right or wrong, but just say it how it is).

Whether or not he reaches the ceiling is a completely another question. The percent chance of reach such ceiling has nothing to do to where the ceiling is. The ceiling is legit #1C and IF he reaches it, few years down the road we'll be a very very happy fan base.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
To me the big thing is that Scheifele is starting to win over the third party scouts who thought he wasn't a top10 pick at the time of the draft.

Guys who thought he was projecting to be a 2nd-to-3rd line tweener are now starting to say he has the vision to possibly become a legit 1st line centre.
These aren't guys who wear homer goggles and they say it how they think it (doesn't mean they are always right or wrong, but just say it how it is).

Whether or not he reaches the ceiling is a completely another question. The percent chance of reach such ceiling has nothing to do to where the ceiling is. The ceiling is legit #1C and IF he reaches it, few years down the road we'll be a very very happy fan base.

Good points. He seems to be very advanced in how he thinks during a game. He has developed great hands, and patience with the puck that some players never have. He delivers passes when and where players can do some damage (which is why I think he would be an effective line-mate for Kane).

To me, I think he has to play C to fully utilize his skills and vision.

His shot and scoring ability continue to improve.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nobody is going to be getting on him. It would take awhile. He the franchise's first pick and seems like a nice kid.

Some of the jackals on our board will be on every slip and fall saying "I told you so on draft day" but on balance he will get a fair shake. ;)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good points. He seems to be very advanced in how he thinks during a game. He has developed great hands, and patience with the puck that some players never have. He delivers passes when and where players can do some damage (which is why I think he would be an effective line-mate for Kane).

To me, I think he has to play C to fully utilize his skills and vision.

His shot and scoring ability continue to improve.

Agreed he most certainly isn't a winger. I'm hopeful that they can get him to Roberts camp this summer to really develop his balance and strength. It looks like it did Lowery a world of good and I can only think of what Scheifele will look like next fall if he achieves similar gains.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Nobody is going to be getting on him. It would take awhile. He the franchise's first pick and seems like a nice kid.

I can't wait for the MSM to [mod] him for his offence while he puts up Burmi (from this year) like numbers. Obviously production will depend on where he sits on the depth chart and powerplay time, but similar even strength scoring rates would be about par for the course.

Hopefully he puts up more if he does play in the bigs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Glad to know you are a professional scout, I'll make sure to ask for your opinion next time for sure :sarcasm:. The kid is beating kids, great. When it came to playing with the big boys 11 games can make or break you in a professional tryout (which is what he was given). He didn't make the cut, that isn't to say he won't, ever, just not yet, and IN MY OPINION it won't be next year either.

He will be sent to the Rock and in 2 seasons he may be ready. He won't take Little's job unless Little starts to tank, with the Winnipeg Jets he is destined to Cap at 2C unless we pickup a better 2C then he will be bumped to 3C.

Avatar bet says he won't play one game in St. Johns outside of a conditioning stint or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad