Confirmed with Link: Mark Recchi and Jeremy Jacobs elected to Hockey Hall of Fame along with 5 others

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Congrats to everybody except JJ. There is precedent with other upstanding human beings like James Norris, Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz already being in so the scourge of Boston hockey should be in as well. JJ would have fit in so nicely with the original six owners it's scary.

I will now take the tact of if you have nothing nice to say about somebody don't say anything at all and I have nothing nice to say about Jacobs, today, tomorrow or ever.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
1 Cup in 42 years? Plus some Adams Division Finalist banners?

Yeah...I have no idea what his case is. None.

its almost as if he nominated and awarded himself. what a sham from an owner who cheerleads for NHL lockouts. Distracts from the the real award winners like Recchi and Kariya

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Isn't Wirtz, Illitch that whole crew in.

This is what they do I'm suprised he's not in I would have figured he went in about the time KDP did

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
cut.jpg

"I am flattered to be included in with this great group of 2017 inductees, and I am humbled to be included with the legends of hockey that went before me," said Boston Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs. "Owning the Boston Bruins for 42 years has been one of the most rewarding honors of my life. I am indebted to our team's leaders and players, but most of all, to our fans, for giving me a broad and deeply appreciative perspective of the game."

"I was absolutely thrilled to learn the news that my father was selected to the Hockey Hall of Fame," said Boston Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs. "As owner for 42 years of the Boston Bruins and long-serving Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors, he has made unparalleled contributions to the advancement of hockey and the growth of the NHL."

"On behalf of the Boston Bruins organization I want to congratulate Mr. Jacobs on his election to the Hockey Hall of Fame," said Bruins President Cam Neely. "As a player I knew of Mr. Jacobs' passion for the Bruins. Over the past decade while in the front office, I have seen first hand his dedication to winning, by consistently providing the Bruins the resources that we need to compete for Stanley Cup Championships and also his unmatched commitment to growing the game of hockey."

"It is certainly deserved," said long-time Bruins executive Harry Sinden, who is also a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame's "Builders" category. "A very well deserved honor to one of the finest Governors and owners in the National Hockey League."

Seriously this reads like Monty Burns got an award and they got quotes from his childhood teddy bear Bobo and Waylon Smithers. I'd rather have the agent that ripped everyone off still in there over Monty Burns Jacobs.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Isn't Wirtz, Illitch that whole crew in.

This is what they do I'm suprised he's not in I would have figured he went in about the time KDP did

There is no question they made Jacobs wait for the honor.

Karamanos got in 2 years ago but even though he is best known here for moving the Whalers he at least has spent a small fortune on youth hockey in Michigan.

Dollar Bill Wirtz also spent a great deal of money on youth hockey in Illinois. Mike Illich also was very supportive of youth hockey and he was beloved by Red Wings fans.

Jacobs is a primary reason the Ottawa Senators exist as he led the opposition to prevent Hamilton. Ontario to get a franchise in 1990 because he feared it would cripple the Sabres and hurt his good friend Seymour Knox who owned the Buffalo team.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
When I think of Hall of Fame worthy owners, Jeremy Jacobs name doesn't pop into my head. The argument could be made he did more harm than good to the Bruins in the last 40 plus years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There is no question they made Jacobs wait for the honor.

Karamanos got in 2 years ago but even though he is best known here for moving the Whalers he at least has spent a small fortune on youth hockey in Michigan.

Dollar Bill Wirtz also spent a great deal of money on youth hockey in Illinois. Mike Illich also was very supportive of youth hockey and he was beloved by Red Wings fans.

Jacobs is a primary reason the Ottawa Senators exist as he led the opposition to prevent Hamilton. Ontario to get a franchise in 1990 because he feared it would cripple the Sabres and hurt his good friend Seymour Knox who owned the Buffalo team.

I actually thought JJ was in :laugh:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
When I think of Hall of Fame worthy owners, Jeremy Jacobs name doesn't pop into my head. The argument could be made he did more harm than good to the Bruins in the last 40 plus years.

He's going in as a builder, what the Bruins have done doesn't really factor in much.

I would say he would be best remembered for keeping the NHL financial sound over a lot of bad times.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Sliding across the offensive zone on his back will always stick with me. Best scrappy player ever!

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i still dont get this argument for longevity... and also dont get the whole cup thing either.

ive actually heard people say longivity is underated

for me a hof should be for guys that are famous. guys whose name value is so specracular even non-hockey fans remember the guy... names so special that fans in other cities buy tickets just to see you play... guys whose sweaters end up in the rafters... guys who you wish you were born earlier to see them play

for example... cam neely... he was uniquely special... eric lindros, pavel bure... i dont care how many cups these guys won or if they played 20 years... these guys were special

mark recchi and dave anderchuk lasted a long time...were very decent players... but does anyone ever say 'remember when recchi took over that series? or remember when anderchuk put that team on his shoulders and carried them?

the hofame becomes the hogood when too many of these guys make it

nothing wrong with having a history section and naming all the guys with 500 career goals but to actually induct someone they should be special or it tarnishes the gretzkys and orrs to be kept on equal footing with the clark gillies and the paul hendersons

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Just wait till Jermeny pays Charlie's way in. What horrible stench the HOF has now

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Jeremy Jacobs in the Hall of Fame is disgraceful.

What has he done to help the Boston Bruins? The Stanley Cup they won in 2011 was the aberration. Years like 1988, 1991, and 1992 were the norm. Almost but not quite good enough and he couldn't have cared less as long as he sold tickets, beer, and hot dogs.

A businessman who doesn't care about his customers until they stop coming to the games and watching on TV. Only acts when he has to. One title in how many years? I honestly feel like he didn't care at all until the Patriots, Red Sox, and even the Celtics all but pushed his Bruins off the sports pages and off of talk radio. Look at the Boston sports scene today - who is number one and who is number four?

If our great run of Boston sports success has taught me anything is that good management is CRUCIAL. And good ownership is key to good management. Look at the Celtics ownership and Danny Ainge - they're busting their arses trying to build a winner. Look at the Red Sox - no titles in 86 years to three in a nine year span under new management. Yes, there have been missteps; but John Henry got more done than the Yawkeys ever did. The Patriots under Robert Kraft speaks for itself.

How many Stanley Cup rings has Jeremy Jacobs' negligence cost great Bruins players? Two? Four? Who knows.

I love the Boston Bruins. I love the game of hockey. But to borrow and paraphrase from a movie about a different sport - I've come to realize that the Bruins just don't love me back. Hell... the Bruins don't even like me. I'm not even angry anymore. Whatever.

I've always been a huge Patriots fan. Even when they were 1-15 in 1990. Even when they were at their most God-awful, I believed they actually wanted to win. Incompetent? Yes. Apathetic? I'd like to think not. It wasn't long into my hockey fandom that I realized that was not the case with the Bruins.

Jeremy Jacobs in the Hockey Hall of Fame? Fine. Enjoy your ego trip, J.J. All your billions will never buy you a shred of respect. Patriots training camp starts in 30 days. See ya 'round, a*****e.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Jeremy Jacobs in the Hall of Fame is disgraceful.

What has he done to help the Boston Bruins? The Stanley Cup they won in 2011 was the aberration. Years like 1988, 1991, and 1992 were the norm. Almost but not quite good enough and he couldn't have cared less as long as he sold tickets, beer, and hot dogs.

A businessman who doesn't care about his customers until they stop coming to the games and watching on TV. Only acts when he has to. One title in how many years? I honestly feel like he didn't care at all until the Patriots, Red Sox, and even the Celtics all but pushed his Bruins off the sports pages and off of talk radio. Look at the Boston sports scene today - who is number one and who is number four?

If our great run of Boston sports success has taught me anything is that good management is CRUCIAL. And good ownership is key to good management. Look at the Celtics ownership and Danny Ainge - they're busting their arses trying to build a winner. Look at the Red Sox - no titles in 86 years to three in a nine year span under new management. Yes, there have been missteps; but John Henry got more done than the Yawkeys ever did. The Patriots under Robert Kraft speaks for itself.

How many Stanley Cup rings has Jeremy Jacobs' negligence cost great Bruins players? Two? Four? Who knows.

I love the Boston Bruins. I love the game of hockey. But to borrow and paraphrase from a movie about a different sport - I've come to realize that the Bruins just don't love me back. Hell... the Bruins don't even like me. I'm not even angry anymore. Whatever.

I've always been a huge Patriots fan. Even when they were 1-15 in 1990. Even when they were at their most God-awful, I believed they actually wanted to win. Incompetent? Yes. Apathetic? I'd like to think not. It wasn't long into my hockey fandom that I realized that was not the case with the Bruins.

Jeremy Jacobs in the Hockey Hall of Fame? Fine. Enjoy your ego trip, J.J. All your billions will never buy you a shred of respect. Patriots training camp starts in 30 days. See ya 'round, a*****e.

hockey Ogliarchy at its finest, lapped up by the fans of Boston ( not their fault of course). Hall of Shame more like it. They could make a section in the HOF for his family as one of the worst cancers the NHL has every had. That is history IMO. I remember those lockout years and seeing restaurant owners suffer from no customers bc this disgrace and his lockouts. This just another kick in the nads from the Bettman Olympic hating crime organization.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
“I actually started in Buffalo with the Sabres when they first came into being … so when I purchased the Bruins in ’75, I had a background and a base to work from,†Jacobs said. “Plus the fan base that exists in these two cities is incredible. I think Boston is definitely No. 1, but Buffalo is a close second to it. In my mind, it’s a great basis to come from.â€Â

The owner of Buffalo-based Delaware North has long been one of the most dominant figures in shaping the business of hockey.

“The length of my ownership perhaps plays a role in this, but my continued participation with the league at the league level was something that I truly enjoyed more than anything,†Jacobs said. “I’m very appreciative because I know a lot of the people that preceded me in here. They were good friends. It’s just a wonderful group. You flatter me very much by including me in it.â€Â

http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/26/h...ng-run-success-dave-andreychuk-jeremy-jacobs/

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Does anyone else find it odd that a guy owns one team ( Bruins), yet is a fan of another team ( Sabres), and spends most of his time in another city?

It's complicated.

Jacobs father Louis backed the Knox family when they tried to get a NHL team in 1967 and would finally get one in 1970. Louis died in 1968 and his 3 sons took over the business and young Jeremy was more concerned in cleaning up the company.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/03/27/jeremy-jacobs-family-history/

But it was a given that Jacobs would have the concessions for the Sabres and still does and he has without a doubt seen more Sabres games in person than the Bruins.

Jacobs pounced in 1975 when the new owners of the Bruins (Storer Broadcasting) wanted out and he wanted the concessions. He paid TWO MILLION in cash and gave TV38 rights to the Bruins at no charge for 10 years ( worth $8 million on paper)

In 1984, Jacobs, the Red Sox and TV38 started NESN.

Steve Buckley in the Herald speaks for many of you.

Buckley: Jeremy Jacobs now a Hall of Famer, but not to Bruins fans

At face value, Jacobs’ ascendence to hockey immortality has merit. He’s going in as a “builder,†which by the Hockey Hall of Fame’s definition honors the best of the best in the area of “coaching, managerial or executive ability, or ability in another significant off-ice role, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her organization or organizations and to the game of hockey in general.â€Â

That’s a lot of gobbledygook there, so let’s re-define “builder†in a way that works locally: He built something. He built what is now known as TD Garden, which replaced the old Garden, which, and I’m sorry if this breaks the hearts of the sentimentalists, was a rat trap.

The new Garden is no palace. And nobody’s pretending Jacobs gathered his Delaware North power base around the kitchen table one night and said, “We must do this for the good people of Boston.â€Â

Given the development that’s going up and down Causeway Street, it’s safe to say the Jacobs family has made a solid investment at North Station.

That’s a plus, not a minus: He invested in Boston. And Boston isn’t some yahoo Sunbelt town that’ll happily fork over a few billion dollars for a taxpayer-funded arena, ballpark or stadium. The owners need to pony up. Jacobs ponied up. In Foxboro, Robert Kraft ponied up.

But don’t expect thousands of Bruins fans to be rushing to Toronto to attend Jacobs’ Hall of Fame induction. That kind of relationship has never existed between Jacobs and Bruins fans, and the warm and fuzzy glow of a Hall of Fame speech isn’t going to change things. Especially a Hall of Fame speech delivered by Jacobs.

In the pre-salary cap days, Jacobs was viewed as the owner who wouldn’t pay for talent but could charge high ticket prices because he knew B’s fans loved their hockey.

And let’s face it, Jacobs is not Robert Kraft, who worshipped the Boston Braves when he was a kid growing up on Fuller Street in Brookline and vowed the Patriots would never leave town on his watch.

He’s not Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca, a pair of overgrown frat boys who yell and scream from their floor seats at every Celtics game and at times talk about their team as though they’re callers on Felger & Maz.

He’s not John Henry and Tom Werner, who, despite occasional overreaches into the world of baseball ops, invested millions in player payroll and Fenway Park improvements, the result being three World Series titles in a span of 10 years, and this after no championships over the previous 86 years.

Jeremy Jacobs has detailed his son, Charlie, to be the family rep in Boston. That’s done nothing to make Papa Jacobs a more popular figure around town. He remains a stiff, uncomfortable presence when he’s in Boston. Who could forget the Bruins’ Stanley Cup celebration in 2011, when Jacobs took a stab at humor by making a comment about how team president Cam Neely never won a Cup during his playing career? That was classic tin-ear stuff.

Jacobs has owned the Bruins since 1975. The team has had some very good seasons and some very bad seasons. And just one Stanley Cup. That, and the simple fact that Jacobs has never been one of the boys in the same way other owners can at least pretend to be, makes it hard for Bruins fans to get revved up over the Hall of Fame announcement.

In the industry of hockey, Jacobs has been a hard-liner and a backroom presence. And it’s the industry of hockey that’s honoring Jacobs, not the old Gallery Gods.

HOWEVER

But if it’ll make Jeremy Jacobs feel any better, he’s not even close to being the least-deserving owner of a Boston franchise to be inducted into his league’s Hall of Fame. That dubious honor belongs to Thomas A. Yawkey, longtime owner of the Red Sox. During the more than 40 years he owned his team, the Red Sox won just three American League pennants and zero World Series championships. Yawkey’s Red Sox were also the last big league team to integrate, with Pumpsie Green joining the big club more than 12 years after Jackie Robinson debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Compared with Tom Yawkey, Jeremy Jacobs is a giant among Boston sports team owners.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Quote:

But if it’ll make Jeremy Jacobs feel any better, he’s not even close to being the least-deserving owner of a Boston franchise to be inducted into his league’s Hall of Fame. That dubious honor belongs to Thomas A. Yawkey, longtime owner of the Red Sox. During the more than 40 years he owned his team, the Red Sox won just three American League pennants and zero World Series championships. Yawkey’s Red Sox were also the last big league team to integrate, with Pumpsie Green joining the big club more than 12 years after Jackie Robinson debuted with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Compared with Tom Yawkey, Jeremy Jacobs is a giant among Boston sports team owners.

Steve Buckley in the Herald speaks for many of you.

Buckley: Jeremy Jacobs now a Hall of Famer, but not to Bruins fans

So the a*****e who sees the Bruins as an ATM not a hockey team with passionate fans isn't the worst owner in Boston sports history because he wasn't an overt racist like Yawkey? Setting the bar pretty low. Like comparing Mussolini and Hitler, because you aren't Hitler doesn't mean you win man of the year.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So Tom Yawkey was a worse owner than Jeremy Jacobs because he was a bigot? Not surprising that Steve Buckley would hold that opinion.

I'd like to ask Mr. Buckley if ANYONE ever decided to not receive treatment at the Yawkey Center for Cancer Care at the Dana Farber because of Tom Yawkey's racist legacy? How many inner city kids refuse scholarships from the Yawkey Foundation because of Tom Yawkey's racist legacy?

How about this: http://yawkeyfoundation.org/pdf/Letter from the Yawkey Foundations_2.12.17.pdf

Naturally, dying newspapers like the Boston Globe and Boston Herald love to kick people when they're down, and twist the knife while they're at it to grab readers any way they can.

Tom Yawkey WAS a bigoted racist. That will follow him forever. However... where is the Jeremy Jacobs Center for Cancer Care? How many scholarships does Delaware North give out? Has Jeremy Jacobs done ANYTHING to benefit Boston; because he certainly hasn't provided us with a winning hockey team. The Garden is nothing but a trough to him and you can figure out the rest.

I'll go as far as to say this - Jeremy Jacobs is NOT the worst owner in Boston sports history. That distinction is pinned squarely on Harry Frazee. So, at least J.J. isn't as bad as THAT guy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad