Confirmed with Link: Mark Recchi and Jeremy Jacobs elected to Hockey Hall of Fame along with 5 others

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So the a*****e who sees the Bruins as an ATM not a hockey team with passionate fans isn't the worst owner in Boston sports history because he wasn't an overt racist like Yawkey? Setting the bar pretty low. Like comparing Mussolini and Hitler, because you aren't Hitler doesn't mean you win man of the year.

This.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So Tom Yawkey was a worse owner than Jeremy Jacobs because he was a bigot? Not surprising that Steve Buckley would hold that opinion.

I'd like to ask Mr. Buckley if ANYONE ever decided to not receive treatment at the Yawkey Center for Cancer Care at the Dana Farber because of Tom Yawkey's racist legacy? How many inner city kids refuse scholarships from the Yawkey Foundation because of Tom Yawkey's racist legacy?

How about this: http://yawkeyfoundation.org/pdf/Letter from the Yawkey Foundations_2.12.17.pdf

Naturally, dying newspapers like the Boston Globe and Boston Herald love to kick people when they're down, and twist the knife while they're at it to grab readers any way they can.

Tom Yawkey WAS a bigoted racist. That will follow him forever. However... where is the Jeremy Jacobs Center for Cancer Care? How many scholarships does Delaware North give out? Has Jeremy Jacobs done ANYTHING to benefit Boston; because he certainly hasn't provided us with a winning hockey team. The Garden is nothing but a trough to him and you can figure out the rest.

I'll go as far as to say this - Jeremy Jacobs is NOT the worst owner in Boston sports history. That distinction is pinned squarely on Harry Frazee. So, at least J.J. isn't as bad as THAT guy...

Yawkey did agree to take over sponsorship of 'The Jimmy Fund' in 1953 after the Braves moved to Milwaukee and for over 20 years the only ad in Fenway was for the charity.

Twenty years ago I had the good fortune of sitting next to Will McDonough on a flight to the west coast and we hit it off and talked the entire trip. He told me Yawkey was not as racist as history has painted him but his two closest advisers in Boston were (Joe Cronin and Pinky Higgins). More importantly post WWII Boston was not a racially tolerant city. Yawkey was convinced that integration sped up the demise of the Braves leaving for Milwaukee. Billy Sullivan's son Pat who today owns Game Creek Video in NH has told me his father felt the same way.

Today the Yawkey Foundation has donated millions and millions but that was under the direction of John Harrington who became the defacto owner of the Red Sox when Jean Yawkey died.

Jacobs has donated millions to medical facilities in his hometown of Buffalo

Jacobs family makes historic $30 million gift to University at Buffalo medical school

I am now convinced Jacobs was not the problem in his first 30 years of ownership as he simply gave the keys to Harry Sinden and his cronies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
How does Harry Sinden factor into this discussion?

Was there a mandate from Jacobs to keep costs down?
Was there a certain dollar figure or internal salary cap?

How much of it was Harry?

EDIT: Fenway aka the old man in the cave sort of beat me to it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How does Harry Sinden factor into this discussion?

Was there a mandate from Jacobs to keep costs down?
Was there a certain dollar figure or internal salary cap?

How much of it was Harry?

EDIT: Fenway aka the old man in the cave sort of beat me to it.

20 years ago Mike Milbury emphatically told me in a Cambridge bar that Harry was his own man and Buffalo allowed him to do what he pleased. What we do know is things did not change until Charlie was sent to Boston and reported back to his father.

When the new Garden opened, Jacobs was supposed to build a new North Station as well and most of us remember how bad that was for the first 10 years of the arena.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I went back and reread the Joe McDonald article from a couple of summers ago.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/13285631/nhl-boston-bruins-putting-trust-harry-sinden-experience

Do we get the sense that Harry, at all, has his fingerprints on the decision making process at this point?

I stand by my claim that the best decision this franchise has made in my lifetime was going outside the organization to give Chiarelli full control over hockey decisions.

IF Harry has any input I hope the Bruins listen and do the complete opposite :laugh:

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
20 years ago Mike Milbury emphatically told me in a Cambridge bar that Harry was his own man and Buffalo allowed him to do what he pleased. What we do know is things did not change until Charlie was sent to Boston and reported back to his father.

If J.J. allowed Sinden to run the Bruins into the ground; to me, that's all the more damning of Jacobs.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Jacobs family makes historic $30 million gift to University at Buffalo medical school

I am now convinced Jacobs was not the problem in his first 30 years of ownership as he simply gave the keys to Harry Sinden and his cronies.

Well... bully for Buffalo.

When will Jeremy Jacobs do something for us? He makes enough money off us. The sooner his Bruins ownership ends, the better. Chuckie couldn't possibly be any worse.

Putting Harry out to pasture was a good first half-step. The Jacobs family has miles to go before they get a shred of credit or respect from me. Truth be told, the Bruins got their last cent from me a while ago and the only time they get from me now is when I come here to vent and see if any progress is being made. Per usual, I am underwhelmed.

I'll be back watching the Bruins when I stop feeling like Jeremy Jacobs is stealing my money and my time. At least I can earn more money... but I can never get my time back.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I stand by my claim that the best decision this franchise has made in my lifetime was going outside the organization to give Chiarelli full control over hockey decisions.

You're not wrong.

Peter Chiarelli wasn't boxed in by that defense first, win 0-0, hard work > talent, loser mentality.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I went back and reread the Joe McDonald article from a couple of summers ago.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/13285631/nhl-boston-bruins-putting-trust-harry-sinden-experience

Do we get the sense that Harry, at all, has his fingerprints on the decision making process at this point?

Love it.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Yawkey did agree to take over sponsorship of 'The Jimmy Fund' in 1953 after the Braves moved to Milwaukee and for over 20 years the only ad in Fenway was for the charity.

Twenty years ago I had the good fortune of sitting next to Will McDonough on a flight to the west coast and we hit it off and talked the entire trip. He told me Yawkey was not as racist as history has painted him but his two closest advisers in Boston were (Joe Cronin and Pinky Higgins). More importantly post WWII Boston was not a racially tolerant city. Yawkey was convinced that integration sped up the demise of the Braves leaving for Milwaukee. Billy Sullivan's son Pat who today owns Game Creek Video in NH has told me his father felt the same way.

Today the Yawkey Foundation has donated millions and millions but that was under the direction of John Harrington who became the defacto owner of the Red Sox when Jean Yawkey died.

Lets not pretend that since Sinden left, this team has been some kind of dominant force. They've made it past the 2nd round twice in the last 17 years...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I get the Jacobs consternation and all, but lost in all the hate is the simple fact that MANY Bruins teams in the 80's, 90's and 00's choked pretty hard in the playoffs. They lost quite a few series they were the favorites in that time.

Also, people seem to forget how powerful the Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers were during the teams they met up. They weren't called dynasties for nothing.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If J.J. allowed Sinden to run the Bruins into the ground; to me, that's all the more damning of Jacobs.

If I failed at my job for 30 years I would be fired. Long before 30 years as well. What that tells me is JJ did not and does not care about anything involving the Bruins but money. He let Sinden run this team into the ground by being cheap or he told him to be cheap, either way the blame is placed on the decision maker, in this case Jacobs for allowing or ordering Sinden to make sure profit matter more than winning.

I will hate both of the until the day I get dropped in the ground. The Bruins biggest adversaries over the years wasn't the Canadiens, it was these two refusing to spend money to win.

The only time JJ crawled out of his hole was to make a hockey decision was when Marty Lapointe was a free agent, Mike Illitch had told Jacobs what he was doing in Boston was wrong and they had issues regarding the lock out. Bruins finally spend money on a free agent and it happens to be the one from Detroit, pretty sure that wasn't a coincidence.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I get the Jacobs consternation and all, but lost in all the hate is the simple fact that MANY Bruins teams in the 80's, 90's and 00's choked pretty hard in the playoffs. They lost quite a few series they were the favorites in that time.

Also, people seem to forget how powerful the Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers were during the teams they met up. They weren't called dynasties for nothing.

You are correct but what if they spent money on that always missing piece, if you want to go back and look at players moved during the late 70's Habs run, another solid defenseman or wing would maybe have put the Bruins over the top, they were the second best team in hockey. But those players cost money, if you can fill the old Garden for as many games in the playoffs and lose the balance sheet is the same or more profitable.

The early 80's were a bit different, the Bruins were an aging team and needed an injection of youth and a rebuild/retool. The second playoff loss to the Islanders they got as far as Peeters could carry them. Teams need to rebuild, no blame placed there.

The late 8o's/early 90's teams were the proverbial one player away. No they don't beat the 88 Oilers but the 90 Oilers they could have with a couple additions, the Penguins in 91 and 92 were beatable, not saying it would have been easy but once again the ledger sheet is the same win or lose and if not having a second line or a solid number three D equals pure profit I believe that is the way this team looked at it, profit over on ice success.

If you want to talk about some of those late 90/early 2000's team where you had no choice but to spend money to be competitive and can find a legitimate way to defend Jabba the hut and his henchman please let me know.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You are correct but what if they spent money on that always missing piece, if you want to go back and look at players moved during the late 70's Habs run, another solid defenseman or wing would maybe have put the Bruins over the top, they were the second best team in hockey. But those players cost money, if you can fill the old Garden for as many games in the playoffs and lose the balance sheet is the same or more profitable.

The early 80's were a bit different, the Bruins were an aging team and needed an injection of youth and a rebuild/retool. The second playoff loss to the Islanders they got as far as Peeters could carry them. Teams need to rebuild, no blame placed there.

The late 8o's/early 90's teams were the proverbial one player away. No they don't beat the 88 Oilers but the 90 Oilers they could have with a couple additions, the Penguins in 91 and 92 were beatable, not saying it would have been easy but once again the ledger sheet is the same win or lose and if not having a second line or a solid number three D equals pure profit I believe that is the way this team looked at it, profit over on ice success.

If you want to talk about some of those late 90/early 2000's team where you had no choice but to spend money to be competitive and can find a legitimate way to defend Jabba the hut and his henchman please let me know.

I'm not defending him. I'm saying the Bruins had plenty of 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 play-off series losses in their day where they are the better seed, I'm not counting the series where they were even or worse, you are correct they could have used some help.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

That's pure bull. The Canadiens of the late 70's may very well have been the best team ever.

The reason they lost to the Islanders 1983 was because Peeters couldn't stop a beach ball against them (30 goals in 6 games).

Yet no one beat those Penguins teams with Mario, Jagr, Francis, Tocchet, Barrasso, Stevens, Recchi, Mullen, Murphy. Who were the Bruins going to add, Gretzky and Messier?

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's pure bull. The Canadiens of the late 70's may very well have been the best team ever.

The reason they lost to the Islanders 1983 was because Peeters couldn't stop a beach ball against them (30 goals in 6 games).

Yet no one beat those Penguins teams with Mario, Jagr, Francis, Tocchet, Barrasso, Stevens, Recchi, Mullen, Murphy. Who were the Bruins going to add, Gretzky and Messier?

Bruins had no chance against Montreal in 1977, 1978 they closed the gap a little. 1979 :cry::cry: Grapes spoke for all Bruins fans after that crushing Game 7 loss.

The Bruins were fortunate to beat Buffalo in 7 games in 1983.

The 1991 Eastern Finals was maddening. The Bruins won the first 2 games and then the Pens flipped a switch and totally outplayed the B's the next 4 games.

If they had won Game 1 in 1990 they very well could have won the Cup.

The first 17 years that Jacobs owned the team (1975-1992) the Bruins more often than not were in the mix. 1993-2007 for the most part was pretty grim as even promising seasons stopped suddenly in the first round. The team lost something when the old Garden closed and with the exception of 2011 they still struggle at home in big games.

But what has been forgotten is how close Jeremy Jacobs came to buying the Patriots in 1994 but wound up walking away when Robert Kraft paid what was then a record price for a NFL team and everyone thought Kraft was insane to pay what he did for the Pats.

Garden owner eyes the Patriots, with megaplex as home
[City Edition]
Boston Globe (pre-1997 Fulltext) - Boston, Mass.
Author: Will McDonough and Don Aucoin, Globe Staff
Date: Dec 22, 1993
Start Page: 1
Section: METRO/REGION

Globe staff writer Peter J. Howe contributed to this report.

As state leaders inched closer yesterday to a deal on a $700 million convention center and football stadium, the owner of the Boston Garden said he wants to buy the New England Patriots and see them play in the new megaplex.

"I am not a football maven, but I do enjoy the game," said Jeremy Jacobs, the owner of the Garden and the Boston Bruins and the prime mover behind the new Shawmut Center, which will replace the Garden and is scheduled to be completed by 1995. "I'm very interested in buying the Patriots and we will pursue getting the team."

"My bigger interest here is to see that the Patriots do not move out of Boston," said Jacobs in a telephone interview from Buffalo. "I believe in that city. I have major interests in that community. I know what the governor, the state and the city can do. We worked together and we have the new building under way."

At the State House, meanwhile, House Speaker Charles F. Flaherty, who had been skeptical about financing the entire megaplex with public dollars, said he is still "negotiating with myself" on whether the deal makes sense for the state.

"I'm trying to see if there's a way to do this," the speaker said in an interview after he met with more business leaders to ascertain whether private interests can come up with $100 million toward the $700 million cost of the megaplex.

Flaherty also told the Globe that he has sought assurances through third parties from National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue that the new facility would get to host a Super Bowl.

Jacobs said he has placed Garden president Larry Moulter and Gail Edwards, chief financial officer of Jacobs' company, Delaware North, in charge of obtaining the Patriots. Moulter said he and Edwards expect to meet soon with representatives of Goldman Sachs, a New York investment firm, "to get the type of financial information we need to arrange our bid."

Moulter, who supports a megaplex, said he believes the Patriots would fit perfectly with Jacobs' many sports and concession businesses in Boston. But he said he has asked the state to include a non-compete clause in any megaplex stadium lease, as protection for the new Shawmut Center.

"All we asked is that the stadium not be turned into a 20,000-seat concert center and take away some of the events that we need to support the new Shawmut Center," said Moulter.

"The megaplex is supposed to have 70,000 seats and just be used for major events, so there should not be any problems," Moulter added. "But we still want some protection for events that would normally go to our building."

Jacobs withdraws from bidding for Patriots
Boston Globe - Boston, Mass.
Subjects: Professional football
Author: McDonough, Will
Date: Jan 21, 1994
Start Page: 41

The strange saga of the alleged sale of the New England Patriots took another bizarre twist when Jerry Jacobs withdrew his name from consideration.

Jacobs also looked into buying the Red Sox in 2001

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
1993-2007 for the most part was pretty grim as even promising seasons stopped suddenly in the first round. The team lost something when the old Garden closed and with the exception of 2011 they still struggle at home in big games.

Don't know why that is. In person, I actually never saw the Bruins lose a game at the old barn. I had some great times in there with my father and brothers. And the Bruins struggled at home in big playoff games in 2011. Games 1, 2, and 7 against Montreal. They were lucky to win Game 7 and I think most fans forget how close the Bruins were to pissing that game (and the season) away.

But what has been forgotten is how close Jeremy Jacobs came to buying the Patriots in 1994 but wound up walking away when Robert Kraft paid what was then a record price for a NFL team and everyone thought Kraft was insane to pay what he did for the Pats.

I've seen you post about this before. Thank Christ Jacobs walked away or he would have ruined two Boston sports teams! Had he bought the Patriots, I'm convinced that we'd still be waiting on our first Super Bowl appearance since January 1986.

I won't even think about Jacobs buying the Red Sox.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don't know why that is. In person, I actually never saw the Bruins lose a game at the old barn. I had some great times in there with my father and brothers. And the Bruins struggled at home in big playoff games in 2011. Games 1, 2, and 7 against Montreal. They were lucky to win Game 7 and I think most fans forget how close the Bruins were to pissing that game (and the season) away.

I've seen you post about this before. Thank Christ Jacobs walked away or he would have ruined two Boston sports teams! Had he bought the Patriots, I'm convinced that we'd still be waiting on our first Super Bowl appearance since January 1986.

I won't even think about Jacobs buying the Red Sox.

I don't think Jacobs would have won 5 Super Bowls :D

As someone who grew up with the 'Sons of Billy Sullivan' I continue to be flabbergasted that Foxborough has become the center of the NFL universe. Look at how bad their home attendance was in 1992.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1992/attendance.htm

They played the Colts in Foxborough and drew less than 20,000. 1993 wasn't much better.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1993/attendance.htm

Starting in 1994 the Patriots have sold out every home game.

BUT - When the Patriots finally collapse and become a bad team for a few years will attendance hold? Unless you are very wealthy or work at the stadium you have to deal with Route 1 and not have access to Putnam Parkway.

Here is the X factor when you look at Jacobs owning the Bruins. Back in 1975 nobody locally stepped up to buy the team from Storer Broadcasting because while the Bruins controlled Boston Garden, they did not own the land it sat on which was owned by the Boston & Maine Railroad and later the MBTA.

ClassicB

Jul 3, 2006
For me, it always starts at the top. Taking Ray Bourque to arbitration in 1993. Changing the classic Bruin uniforms in 1995 in favor of some Winnipeg Jets knock-offs.
JJ is on the same level as Bettman as far as I'm concerned. JJ and Bettman, the good ol boys club!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Recchi would look good as assistant or an associate coach on the Bruins staff.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't think Jacobs would have won 5 Super Bowls :D

I 1000% agree. Jeremy Jacobs is amazing at making money. I have seen nothing to make me believe he's any good at anything else.

As someone who grew up with the 'Sons of Billy Sullivan' I continue to be flabbergasted that Foxborough has become the center of the NFL universe. Look at how bad their home attendance was in 1992.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1992/attendance.htm

They played the Colts in Foxborough and drew less than 20,000. 1993 wasn't much better.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1993/attendance.htm

I also grew up watching those teams - although I'm somewhat younger than you. I very vividly remember the no-so-good old days when my younger brother and I were the ONLY Patriots fans in school. I've paid my dues ;)

Starting in 1994 the Patriots have sold out every home game.

BUT - When the Patriots finally collapse and become a bad team for a few years will attendance hold? Unless you are very wealthy or work at the stadium you have to deal with Route 1 and not have access to Putnam Parkway.

If attendance drops... the traffic won't be so bad!!!

Do you really think the Patriots will collapse? We all know this won't last forever, but I'm sure that as long as the Kraft family owns the Patriots, a three year span like 1990-1992 just isn't likely to happen again.

Here is the X factor when you look at Jacobs owning the Bruins. Back in 1975 nobody locally stepped up to buy the team from Storer Broadcasting because while the Bruins controlled Boston Garden, they did not own the land it sat on which was owned by the Boston & Maine Railroad and later the MBTA.

That's too bad.

The Bruins have one of the worst owners in sports. I'll say this, though - Jacobs has never threatened to move the Bruins any farther than Salem, NH or sell to anyone who would move the team away altogether.

At least when I wake up tomorrow I'll know that I have a hockey team. Even if they've only made it out of the second round twice in 25 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad