Confirmed with Link: Mark Recchi and Jeremy Jacobs elected to Hockey Hall of Fame along with 5 others

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Happy for Recchi. Montgomery Burns should not be anywhere near the HOF. What a crock. Was the worst owner in sports for decades.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpg

"I am flattered to be included in with this great group of 2017 inductees, and I am humbled to be included with the legends of hockey that went before me," said Boston Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs. "Owning the Boston Bruins for 42 years has been one of the most rewarding honors of my life. I am indebted to our team's leaders and players, but most of all, to our fans, for giving me a broad and deeply appreciative perspective of the game."

"I was absolutely thrilled to learn the news that my father was selected to the Hockey Hall of Fame," said Boston Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs. "As owner for 42 years of the Boston Bruins and long-serving Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors, he has made unparalleled contributions to the advancement of hockey and the growth of the NHL."

"On behalf of the Boston Bruins organization I want to congratulate Mr. Jacobs on his election to the Hockey Hall of Fame," said Bruins President Cam Neely. "As a player I knew of Mr. Jacobs' passion for the Bruins. Over the past decade while in the front office, I have seen first hand his dedication to winning, by consistently providing the Bruins the resources that we need to compete for Stanley Cup Championships and also his unmatched commitment to growing the game of hockey."

"It is certainly deserved," said long-time Bruins executive Harry Sinden, who is also a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame's "Builders" category. "A very well deserved honor to one of the finest Governors and owners in the National Hockey League."

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Really happy for Recchi, conflicted about JJ

Nail on the head. Recchi's amazing - almost bookended his career with Stanley Cups. Three cups on three different teams - that's the sign of both an outstanding individual AND an outstanding teammate.

Jacobs...well, I'm a little more conflicted about, so I'll go from bad to good. I don't think we can exactly blame him completely for 2004-5, although he WAS an owner at the time. Can we? He was certainly a part, but I'd have to research a little to jog my memory. But, to a large degree, the jumbo home-cooked meatball of the 2012-3 lockout rests squarely on his shoulders as chairman of the Board of Governors.

Blaming him for things like ticket/concession prices doesn't quite hit home for me. Yes, I think some of the prices are ridiculous, and he's cheap as hell with the gameday freebies (compare the Blackhawks), but it's what he thinks the market will bear. He's a known Robin Hood, which has a good side to it...he's made huge charitable donations that have had a positive impact on Boston and his hometown of Buffalo.

But let's not forget - we're a cap team. That's literally spending millions of dollars on the players. Ask Florida how they feel about the cap. And for the most part that money's been well spent, both on ice (2013, anyone?), and off the ice. I'm only guessing that Jacobs' philanthropic example has encouraged and helped some of the Bruins in their own charitable endeavors...Bergeron's suite, Brad's Brigade (is that still a thing?), Savard's suite, Pucks and Pups, Backes with the MSPCA, the Halloween trips, etc.

And remember: We won a cup. Almost got a second. After a 40+ year drought, you can't discount how that bolsters a franchise.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The hall of very good lowers its standards once again.

Andreychuk & Recchi are both compilers. But only 11 players in history have more points than Recchi and only 13 players have more goals than Andreychuk. Everyone ahead of them is a Hall of Famer. Hard to keep them out.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Andreychuk & Recchi are both compilers. But only 11 players in history have more points than Recchi and only 13 players have more goals than Andreychuk. Everyone ahead of them is a Hall of Famer. Hard to keep them out.

Andreychuk is also the all-time leader in PP goals.

Deserving addition to the hall.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If this were the baseball HOF, would there be a debate over which team's cap Recchi would wear on his plaque?

I think of him as a Flyer.

Could you make an argument for the Penguins?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Andreychuck arguably the best net front forward to ever play

I saw him score 5 goals in a game and 4 for the Bruins before he was traded to Colorado

Recchi was a gamer and a winner and I would put him in

Andreychuck not in was a joke

The Andreychuck-LaFontaine-Mogilny line for a few years was top 5 I ever saw

Bergeron is a lock since he's a better all around player than Gainey

Chara Bergeron Recchi from 2011 Cup team

Could be 3 more from that lineup

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
42471-1408x792.jpg

I have mixed emotions concerning Jacobs I really hated him when he tried and almost succeeded in moving the Bruins to New Hampshire.

The biggest knock on Jacobs is he didn't spend to win in the late 70's and early 90's but he made a business decision he was not going to lose money to win a Cup like other teams were willing to do. But after he got his cost certainty the Bruins won a Cup in 2011 and made the Final in 2013.

Delaware North treats employees very well and and he is fiercely loyal to his hometown of Buffalo even though he could save millions by moving Delaware North to a tax friendly state. TD Garden was built on the cheap but many of those cost cutting moves were green lighted by Boston based executives that he later fired.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Asking sincerely, what's the case for Jacobs being in the Hall?

List of others who are builders

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Hockey_Hall_of_Fame#Builders

Jacobs gave these reasons 2 years ago when he was elected to the US Hockey Hall of Fame

http://buffalonews.com/2015/12/18/patrick-trophy-a-humbling-honor-for-jacobs/

The honor shouldn’t have been as shocking as it was. While Jacobs calls Bettman the engine of the NHL, the Buffalo native can be looked at as the conductor. Jacobs has served as the chairman of the board of governors since 2007, helping drive the league to its most prosperous era.

“It’s a great to see the evolution of hockey in this country,†Jacobs said. “It’s been amazing. We’ve gotten the teams south and in the deep west, where we never were before.

“When I think of expansion, I’m thinking of the National Hockey League expansion, but each time that moves, it moves so many other things with it. By that I mean the game starts to take on roots of its own in those communities. That’s the part that really counts. That’s the part where you get the community involvement. That’s the excitement.â€Â

Jacobs sees potential for much more growth. As one of hockey’s key decision-makers, he’s helping funnel money into the grassroots level to get more people playing.

“What we’ve focused to fund on within the league is the growth of youth hockey,†Jacobs said. “It’s how do we grow it and put money back into the system, as opposed to the necessarily team issues in the system. It’s how do we make the awareness better, how do we get the experience more.

“Being in Buffalo you know what it takes getting a kid ready to play hockey. It takes a family to get to the rink. You can’t send them out with a basketball. You’ve got to get them there, and it builds community and it builds interaction between parent and child, which I don’t think other sports can match.â€Â

Jacobs saw firsthand how families can interact through hockey. His father purchased the American Hockey League team based in Syracuse in 1940 and moved it to Buffalo, where it became the Bisons. Jeremy Jacobs became an owner in 1975 when he bought the Bruins.

His standing as one of the NHL’s longest-tenured owners is what led to him becoming a driving force in the NHL and Bettman’s go-to guy.

“I was one of the earliest owners that is still in existence today, so I think in some way I’m a resource as to the history of it all, not that I’m a particularly great historian,†Jacobs said. “But every time you mention something it has a history to it. I think when you first start something, you look back and you talk to some of the oldest people involved with the league and say, ‘How do you see this?’

“So I think you carry a little different message. It’s not a short-term message. It’s a long-term message.â€Â

Jacobs’ focus on the long term has led to many unpopular decisions, particularly two lockouts in the past 11 years. But the chairman sees how the shutdowns to create a salary-cap system have benefited the league and will continue to do so.

“We’ve achieved something that other professional leagues he attempted or will attempt or have gotten in place,†he said. “That is a balance of competitiveness. That competitiveness really comes about by the balance of our cap system.

“When you see a Tampa or a Carolina team win the Cup, you know that you’ve got some balance there. It’s not a big-city only.â€Â

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Asking sincerely, what's the case for Jacobs being in the Hall?

the only thing I got is they let Peter Karmanos in last year so basically any owner ever except for that guy that bought the Islanders with a 50,000 dollar net worth can be allowed in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad