Confirmed with Link: Mark Recchi and Jeremy Jacobs elected to Hockey Hall of Fame along with 5 others

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
The 2017 class discussion has begun. SN's Emily Sadler reviews the front runners for consideration. Recchi is of course in the mix again. Betting he does make it this year. Wonder if this guy might get to join him?

"Tim Thomas
Thomas was really good, but not for really long. Because his time in the NHL spotlight came later than most, the netminder’s resume is shorter than other goalies in the HOF conversation — but still worth considering. In the span of just a few seasons, he won two Vezinas (2008-09, 2010-11), one William Jennings (2008-09) and a Conn Smythe to go with his Stanley Cup in 2010-11."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/class-2017-might-inducted-hhof-year/

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Teemu Selanne is a lock so that leaves 3 slots open.

Daniel Alfredsson (1st year eligible)
Mark Recchi (4th year eligible)
Chris Osgood (4th year eligible)
Curtis Joseph (5th year eligible)
Paul Kariya (5th year eligible)
Jeremy Roenick (6th year eligible)
Alexander Mogilny (9th year eligible)
Dave Andreychuk (9th year eligible)
Theo Fleury (9th year eligible)
Kevin Lowe (16th year eligible)

Tim Thomas is not on the ballot.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind17prolog_firstYearEligibility.shtml

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Recchi should be in the Hall of Fame but he's not a Hall of Famer in my mind if that makes sense. Where is BiggioRainesHOF. Need his input.
:laugh:

As much as I like Recchi I just don't feel he's hof material. I don't think he was dominant enough. But obviously I'm happy if he does make it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Kind of surprised Fleury is not in after nine years.

Recchi better make it this year.

It would be interesting if Selanne and Kariya went in together.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Recchi should be in the Hall of Fame but he's not a Hall of Famer in my mind if that makes sense. Where is BiggioRainesHOF. Need his input.

It's an interesting comparison and brings to light just what the qualifications for induction are.

I watched Biggio (and Bagwell) their entire careers; was huge fans of both, and am happy both are in. But I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't make it.

In addition to the subtle media bias against certain markets, both were very good for a long time. So their lifetime stats are impressive. I can see Recchi in a similar light.

I admit my bias with Tim Thomas - he's my favorite Bruin of all time.

While he wasn't 'very good for a long time' like Biggio and Bagwell, he was 'great' for a short time. Under the umbrella of 'great' are two Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, and a Stanley Cup which let's face it - was a team effort but without Thomas doesn't happen.

I would love to see Thomas get in, but like the aforementioned baseball players, won't be surprised if he doesn't. He may have to wait a while.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

Have to wonder what Sadler was thinking with the comments in her article. Was suprised that he was in the conversation at this stage given the potential candidates listed ahead of him as you point out.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Have to wonder what Sadler was thinking with the comments in her article. Was suprised that he was in the conversation at this stage given the potential candidates listed ahead of him as you point out.

Alfredsson most likely gets in but then it is a guess on what the committee will do.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

I know some people get mad when team success is considered when determining personal success. But if Osgood managed to win Game 7 against the Pens in '09, I think he'd be a shoe-in. Thanks a lot Max Talbot! ;)

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I know some people get mad when team success is considered when determining personal success. But if Osgood managed to win Game 7 against the Pens in '09, I think he'd be a shoe-in. Thanks a lot Max Talbot! ;)

Speaking of team success... How about Claude Provost with nine Stanley Cups?!

....who is Claude Provost? :laugh: (Apologies if I should really know more about him, but his name doesn't exactly stand out like Orr, Howe, or Gretzky lol)

That list is very interesting.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Speaking of team success... How about Claude Provost with nine Stanley Cups?!

....who is Claude Provost? :laugh: (Apologies if I should really know more about him, but his name doesn't exactly stand out like Orr, Howe, or Gretzky lol)

That list is very interesting.

He's the Robert Horry of the NHL. ;)

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
If there was a hall of very good, Recchi would be the poster boy. Recchi was just very good for a long time, he was never an elite guy. I don't think Recchi should get in, but he will eventually because the HHOF lets in too many players.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
for me hof always meant famous or legendary. this should be for guys who were one of the top 30 best players of their era and in special cases one of the 10 most popular players of their era

guys we talk about 20 years after they retire, and we still know who they are because our dads and friends talked about them all the time

i dont need to see 4 guys go into this hof every single year just to fill a quota

to me a guy like cam neely goes in because people who saw him play argue hes the best power forward ever... a guy like mark recchi doesnt because his claim to fame is he was one of the 25-50 best players for 18 years and hung around long enough to get some career totals.

i put in guys like eric lindros and pavel bure even though they didnt play forever, but because once you saw them they amazed you for a lifetime

and i would vote for tim thomas for that same reason

(and vote for terry oreilly because he was special too)

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Maybe it's just because I've read his book, or that I love smaller feisty players, but I would be thrilled if Theo Fleury got in the HOF. Guy had a hard life, but he was an excellent hockey player for a good while.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Maybe it's just because I've read his book, or that I love smaller feisty players, but I would be thrilled if Theo Fleury got in the HOF. Guy had a hard life, but he was an excellent hockey player for a good while.

If I had to take 4, I'd take Selanne, Recchi, Andreychuk and Roenick/Fleury in that order.

I don't see how you can keep a Top 15 All Time goal scorer out (Andreychuk) out for 8 straight years.

It's a toss up for me between Roenick and Fleury. Roenick is an atrocious commentator, but both guys were dominating players for multiple years in their prime.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
It would be interesting if Selanne and Kariya went in together.

Paul Kariya was a Hall of Fame talent, but I don't know if he's going to get in because of his career getting cut short from injury.

I do know, that I will never forget this moment (Game 6, Stanley Cup Final):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__H6Gvdn8WY

I CAN tell you, that with current player safety rules, we will NEVER see something like that again.

What kind of suspension do you think Stevens gets if that happened today?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Paul Kariya was a Hall of Fame talent, but I don't know if he's going to get in because of his career getting cut short from injury.

I CAN tell you, that with current player safety rules, we will NEVER see something like that again.

Well, Lindros' career was shortened by injury, and he's in. But I'd take him over Kariya anyway.

Scott Stevens. Ugh. I was never a fan of his. I'd hope some of his hits would be suspended today.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

One of my favorite all time defensemen, played the game the way it is suppose to be played. Don't want to get knocked cold? Keep your head up and don't admire your passes. The fact that Stevens would be deemed dirty today is all that needs to be said about everything that is wrong with the current state of hockey in general.

Watching that hit again, that is what a hit is suppose to be like, elbow down, no jumping, clean hit.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
One of my favorite all time defensemen, played the game the way it is suppose to be played. Don't want to get knocked cold? Keep your head up and don't admire your passes. The fact that Stevens would be deemed dirty today is all that needs to be said about everything that is wrong with the current state of hockey in general.

Watching that hit again, that is what a hit is suppose to be like, elbow down, no jumping, clean hit.

Yeah, not allowing hitting to the head is everything that's wrong with the current state of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad