Mark Alt

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Alt is more of a known quantity, the first few games were tryout games where guys who were fringe or juniors got to showcase before being cut or sent back.

He was the first call up last year before he got injured, so I doubt they've just written him off. It'll be interesting to see the pairings, I would think Morin - Ghost and Hagg - Alt.
No he wasn't.

He needed Mark Streit and Carlo Colaiacovo to get sick and Andrew MacDonald, Mark Streit and Luke Schenn to get hurt to get called up. Not to mention Gostisbehere was out for the year at that point and Manning was already with the NHL club. He'll be even further down the depth chart this season.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
01. Provorov (18)
02. Sanheim (19)
03. Gostisbehere (22)
04. Sam Morin (20)
05. Del Zotto (25)
06. Hagg (20)
07. Gudas (25)
08. Schenn (25)
09. Manning (25)
10. Alt (23)

Our U25 defensive list clearly demonstrates why Alt doesn't have a realistic shot at making the Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
01. Provorov (18)
02. Sanheim (19)
03. Gostisbehere (22)
04. Sam Morin (20)
05. Del Zotto (25)
06. Hagg (20)
07. Gudas (25)
08. Schenn (25)
09. Manning (25)
10. Alt (23)

Our U25 defensive list clearly demonstrates why Alt doesn't have a realistic shot at making the Flyers.

Christian Marti likely enters the season ahead of Alt on the depth chart as well. It's just going to be tough for him to get a call up this year with now Morin & Marti joining the pro level on top of Hagg. The days of players like Laurdisen, Konan, Manning, etc. occupying the top of the call up list appears to be gone for a while.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Marti enters the season buried, because I think he's out to November with a shoulder injury. Then they'll probably be careful with him to avoid re-injuring it.

L Schenn is a good bet to have a new address.

Provorow and Sanheim are 1-2 years away.

So while this is a "do or die" season for Alt, he's not facing insurmountable odds. His problem is that if he treads water this season, he'll drown next year. So he does have to step it up, if only to be showcased as part of a potential trade package (Hextall got a 3rd for McGinn and Rinaldo, so he can perform miracles)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Last year was "his year". He got hurt and underperformed when he wasn't hurt.

Drewiske is probably ahead of him on the NHL depth chart for this year as well.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Last year was "his year". He got hurt and underperformed when he wasn't hurt.

Drewiske is probably ahead of him on the NHL depth chart for this year as well.

I will forever be a Drewiske hater for taking minutes in a televised preseason games over the the rookies I wanted to see (ex Morin, Hagg, Ghost) lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hoping Alt nabs the 7th defenseman spot. He's going to be 25 in October, it's kind of time to decide.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's a good AHL defenseman. He's not an NHL player, but he's a good guy to have in the system.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well he'd be a good guy to be a #7, especially as it seems Brandon Manning will be more than that.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Well he'd be a good guy to be a #7, especially as it seems Brandon Manning will be more than that.

More than that on the Flyers you mean? If Provorov makes the team, I don't see how Manning has any spot besides 7D. He's behind Schultz on the depth chart

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think we are going to be stuck with Barf for another year. At least we will still have our jokes.

I must be the only one(other than the coaches and GM)who thought Manning played very well from the time he went back into the lineup on a regular basis on throughout the playoffs. The dislike for ManDog on this board overshadowed the solid play he had with Gudas as soon as they were paired together.

I wouldn't be too quick to write him off for next year. I still think something happens with one of the veteran D-men before the season, and that will open up a spot for Manning as the #6/#7. The guy definitely improved from the beginning of the season to the end...it can't hurt to give him a shot in training camp to see what happens.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I must be the only one(other than the coaches and GM)who thought Manning played very well from the time he went back into the lineup on a regular basis on throughout the playoffs. The dislike for ManDog on this board overshadowed the solid play he had with Gudas as soon as they were paired together.

I wouldn't be too quick to write him off for next year. I still think something happens with one of the veteran D-men before the season, and that will open up a spot for Manning as the #6/#7. The guy definitely improved from the beginning of the season to the end...it can't hurt to give him a shot in training camp to see what happens.

He'll eat too many hotdogs this offseason and get cut for not reporting to camp in decent shape

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Alt is a guy who's attitude really benefits the organization whether or not he ever reaches the nhl level. Hes pretty much consistently improved since we acquired him and that shows humility and work ethic. We have no shortage of more talented players in the pipelin but i see a large value in a guy like him being settled in at #8

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I think he is better than AMac, Manning and could be a good third pairing d-man. I am annoyed they haven't given a couple of games to see how he would do with the big club.

Alt is a very good skater and good defensively. He is not a blackhole offensively. I don't get why he hasn't gotten a look yet.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
So tell me why again Holmgren traded JVR for Luke effin Schenn? :shakehead

Look I thought that Holmgren should have received more for JVR but the guy had to be moved. He seemed to have little injuries and there were games where he was a total no show. I think playing here near home had a effect on him that seemed to hinder him somewhat. Also if you remember the leafs were going to make Luke the face of their organization. Instead of moaning about the past let's look at our future here. This is Ron's team now and I am jacked about our future and could careless about what was done in the past. You asked and I hope this helps answer your question.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think he is better than AMac, Manning and could be a good third pairing d-man. I am annoyed they haven't given a couple of games to see how he would do with the big club.

Alt is a very good skater and good defensively. He is not a blackhole offensively. I don't get why he hasn't gotten a look yet.

No he's not.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Unless Striet or Schultz are traded before the 16-17 season starts Mark Alt won't have a place on the Flyers roster.

Although I'd like to see Alt get a shot at making the roster come training camp time.

It's kinda now or never for Alt, if he doesn't make the roster this season or next season I don't think he ever will, and he'll end up being an AHL player or an injury call up as a 7th D-man for the rest of his career.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it's not the worst thing in the world to make $100K playing hockey six months a year, if you're smart enough either to prepare for a future coaching or another career. Because I think Alt is now treading water where he needs to be a "flying fish." He's now had three years in the AHL, and while he's improved, and might be able to supplant someone like Manning, he's about to get swamped by a wave of defenseman prospects.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Alt has some competition for the 2016-17 season
Morin
Sanheim
Hagg
Brennan
< I'd slot Alt here at #5
O'Neill
Willcox
Lamarche < may start in ECHL
Pettersson < may start in ECHL

Plus there is probably going to be 8 defenseman on the flyers roster this season Ghost, MDZ, Streit, Provorov, Gudas, Schultz, MacDonald and maybe Manning depending how arbitration goes.

That's not including the defenseman we might have coming up in the future depending on how they develop.
These defensive prospects include. Myers QMJHL, Friedman NCAA, Hogberg SHL, Bernhardt SHL, Vasiliev KHL, Drake NCAA, Amorosa NCAA

So it may be safe to say that Alt won't get a call up to the flyers this year, nor will he ever get a call up now with all these players that are above him on the depth chart, and the prospect below him that are coming up in a season or two that may surpass him on the depth chart. Also Mark Alt is no longer waivers exempt risking the chance of him being claimed by another team is also another reason why the Flyers will not recall Alt.

It's sad to say knowing all the hard work that Alt has put in, and with him seemingly being so close within the last year to getting a call up for more then 1 game, that Alt will in most likelihood end up being a career AHLer.

If Alt is dedicated to the Flyers organization, and is willing to being an AHL lifer, then I'd sign him to a longer term contract with the phantoms organization next season. I'd also give Alt the "A" alternate captain leadership role with the Phantoms. Alt cloud be a mentor to the younger prospects that are on the Phantoms roster this seasons and many seasons to come.

But if he doesn't want to be an AHL lifer after this season and doesn't make the Flyers roster this season, then try to trade him as a part of a bigger deal at the trade deadline or before the end of this season.

Alt could return atleast a 5th or 6th round draft pick if he has a decent year.
Hextall likes having extra assets even if they are late round picks, and I'd rather get something for Alt rather then nothing at all or risk the chance of losing him to waivers altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad