Mark Alt

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Randy Miller wrote a very positive article about Mark Alt featuring some high praise from Terry Murray. If he was ready to replace Grossmann we would have a much more mobile defense next season.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...ter_passing_on_chance_to_play_qb_at_iowa.html

Terry Murray, Phantoms head coach: “Mark’s an excellent skater when it comes to speed, and that’s where the game is today. You’ve got to be able to bring that. His game this season, I think he really got an understanding of what it’s going to take in order for him to be a player at the NHL level. Halfway through the year he’d already played the number of games in a season that he played in college, so this was quite a test for him to bring it every day. I really like his approach to the game. He’s very professional. He brings an attitude every day that he has to do the right stuff to get prepared for the practice or game.

He plays with high intensity and really cares about his game and his teammates. He’s a real good team guy. He pays attention to the detail part of the game, and as a defenseman that’s what you have to do. I liked his progress. I think he’s on track. He’s more comfortable now with the puck on this stick. In the second half of the year, he was carrying the puck out of problems and getting it out of his own end using his speed and his quickness. And I used him on the power play all season. That was something that he was not doing in college. He started to feel comfortable on the power play. He’s a right shot and he prefers the right side on the power play, but when he is on the other side for a one-timer, he can shoot the puck. He’s got a great shot. He’s an interesting player because of his size and speed. He€™s definitely a prospect.â€

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I watched a bunch of Phantoms games at the end of the year and Alt definitely impressed me. I would love to see him get a shot with the Flyers.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good, **** off Grossmann and welcome Alt.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Akeson
Hartnell-Laughton-Simmonds
Rasmussen-Hall-Raffl

Coburn-MacD
Streit-Alt
Ghost-Schenn

Mason
Literally anyone but Emery

Lots of young players but I don't care. More skill, speed, and brains.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
He had great things to say about Akesom too (though his future is still very much up in the air). Murray definitely knows hockey so that's good to hear.

I'm glad to hear he made strides in his own zone, I mean I watched a lot but the team was so bad it can be hard to find the positives,because he projects as a stay at home d-man who won't be seeing PP time at the next level in all likelihood.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I have been pumping him all season and Im glad people here were able to watch him play during the final stretch. Big really good skating defender who plays a solid defensive game. Big difference is he can actually pass the puck and shoot it... Reason why he was on the pp also (most likely not in the NHL though). I know a few might be scared but I honestly think the defensive would be upgraded with him in it. He had made HUGE strides.

He doesnt get talked about with the other big three defenders but I do think he's the closest to them than any of our other prospect/AHL defenders. He really helped Hagg out there at the end.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Randy Miller wrote a very positive article about Mark Alt featuring some high praise from Terry Murray. If he was ready to replace Grossmann we would have a much more mobile defense next season.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...ter_passing_on_chance_to_play_qb_at_iowa.html

“Mark’s an excellent skater when it comes to speed, and that’s where the game is today. You’ve got to be able to bring that.

So tell me why again Holmgren traded JVR for Luke effin Schenn? :shakehead

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Good, **** off Grossmann and welcome Alt.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Akeson
Hartnell-Laughton-Simmonds
Rasmussen-Hall-Raffl

Coburn-MacD
Streit-Alt
Ghost-Schenn

Mason
Literally anyone but Emery

Lots of young players but I don't care. More skill, speed, and brains.

I'll take it a step further and do away with L. Schenn and Vinny as well.

Raffl-Giroux-Read
Akeson/FA signing-Schenn-Voracek
Hartnell-Couturier-Simmonds
Rasmussen-Laughton-Hall/Rinaldo

Coburn-Streit
MacDonald-Ghost
Timonen-Alt

Mason

There's some youth there, but it also creates competition on the roster. The young guys get some immediate playing time, and the vets get some pressure put on them to not get outperformed by a rookie/young guy.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
h6B23CB74

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll take it a step further and do away with L. Schenn and Vinny as well.

Raffl-Giroux-Read
Akeson/FA signing-Schenn-Voracek
Hartnell-Couturier-Simmonds
Rasmussen-Laughton-Hall/Rinaldo

Coburn-Streit
MacDonald-Ghost
Timonen-Alt

Mason

There's some youth there, but it also creates competition on the roster. The young guys get some immediate playing time, and the vets get some pressure put on them to not get outperformed by a rookie/young guy.

I did get rid of Vinny, but I'd rather not get rid of LSchenn. He's shown how good he can be when with the right partner both in '12-'13 and this past season, especially in the playoffs. If he can keep that up, which i think he can if paired with the right kind of person, he'd be a good player to have.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I did get rid of Vinny, but I'd rather not get rid of LSchenn. He's shown how good he can be when with the right partner both in '12-'13 and this past season, especially in the playoffs. If he can keep that up, which i think he can if paired with the right kind of person, he'd be a good player to have.

What exactly does Schenn bring to the team that necessitates him being here next year? He's a 3.5 million dollar bottom pairing defenseman that's only average if paired with exactly the right partner. Sorry, but his skill set isn't an overwhelming need in the NHL anymore, and he hasn't shown the ability to improve his skating. Turn his spot/role over to a guy like Alt who could bring the same things (and then some probably) for a third of the price tag.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
What exactly does Schenn bring to the team that necessitates him being here next year? He's a 3.5 million dollar bottom pairing defenseman that's only average if paired with exactly the right partner. Sorry, but his skill set isn't an overwhelming need in the NHL anymore, and he hasn't shown the ability to improve his skating. Turn his spot/role over to a guy like Alt who could bring the same things (and then some probably) for a third of the price tag.

When paired with the right partner he's more then a fine 3rd pairing guy. In all likelihood Alt won't be as good as Schenn.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
When paired with the right partner he's more then a fine 3rd pairing guy. In all likelihood Alt won't be as good as Schenn.

Not on a good team he isn't.

From what I've seen of him, Alt can play effectively on the bottom pair. His skating is better than Schenn's which already gives him a leg up.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Andreas Liljahammer endorsed him! He's a right handed shot too...I'm sold! :sarcasm:

Debuted as a pro by playing six AHL games late into the ’12-13 season and impressed defense partner Andreas Lilja, a veteran of 580 NHL games. "I think he's going to be something special," Lilja told The (N.Y.) Saratogian in April 2013. “I think he’s really, really good.” …

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

With the right partner he's certainly more than a bottom pairing defenseman. He was our best defenseman two years ago and our best defenseman in the playoffs. He doesn't need to be paired with exactly the right partner, just a competent defenseman. That's why he was so much better with MacD and Gus. His skating isn't even that bad anyway, people over-exaggerate it. He's not fast but he's not a bad skater like Grossmann either.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
With the right partner he's certainly more than a bottom pairing defenseman. He was our best defenseman two years ago and our best defenseman in the playoffs. He doesn't need to be paired with exactly the right partner, just a competent defenseman. That's why he was so much better with MacD and Gus. His skating isn't even that bad anyway, people over-exaggerate it. He's not fast but he's not a bad skater like Grossmann either.

He was never the best defenseman on this team, and he certainly wasn't the best defenseman in the playoffs. That was Streit. He ocassionally looks like a guy that might be able to stick on a second pair, but he doesn't do it with any consistency.

His skating is not overblown. It's legitimately terrible, as is Grossmann's. His acceleration and agility limits what he's capable of. People need to let go of trying to validate the JVR trade and accept the fact that this team isn't doing anything with a defense that has Luke Schenn in the top four. How many defenses left in the playoffs would Schenn even play on? Maybe Chicago in place of Brookbank?

sallahoose

May 13, 2014
Gross should prob go...cant keep both. I hate to say it, might wana keep schenn.. he has been awful at times but he does hit n block shots. Wit coburn mcdonald timo (hopefully he retires) n couple rooks might want some1 who can hit some idiots ? Plus his trade value is ....

RJ8812*

Maybe Holmgren's best trade that nobody talks about

TBH, that was an odd trade from Carolina's POV

They had an extra goalie, and we needed a 3rd string goalie. Makes sense for us to trade them something with little value (Luke Pither) for a goalie they don't need, but I don't understand why they added a prospect that had potential to the deal...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad