Confirmed with Link: Marino signs long-term deal: 6 x 4.4m

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I still think Letang gets traded and they run with Marino, Dumoulin, Matheson and Pettersson as their top-4.

You've got a lot more faith than me in Matheson making it here and being able to switch sides. And maybe more faith than me in Letang's trade value too.

He has 60 games of experience. He had no leverage.

He can refuse to put pen to paper until the end of next season and increase that leverage if that's the issue.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Awesome deal!!! As people have said this deal already is a good deal even without improvement. When Marino went down that is when the Pens went on that bad losing streak towards the end of the season and I don't think that was a coincidence. That moved Schultz into top 4 minutes and he was terrible. Marino gave us Dumoulin like defense with much more offense. 6 goals and 26 points in 56 games with very little PP time is close to 40 point range as a rookie. When Letang hangs them up in a few years Marino playing on the top PP could reach 50+ points and easily 40+ points a year. I see his upside as a legit number 1 defenseman. At worst he is a more offensive Dumoulin who has been a solid number 2 for us for the past several years.

I love this deal locking Marino up much more than the Pettersson deal. I always felt the Pettersson deal was fair but see him as just an average 2nd pairing defenseman. That is worth his contract and maybe he can put on some weight and turn into a Dumoulin like player but I thought that contract was no bargain like this one.

My hope is that Matheson shines in our system and POJ keeps developing nicely and we trade Pettersson for a nice young forward at some point. Having 5 defenseman making $4+ million a year is a little bit much.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You've got a lot more faith than me in Matheson making it here and being able to switch sides. And maybe more faith than me in Letang's trade value too.

I don't think it will be a trade value question, it will be JR trying another "shake up the team" move and Letang's really the only guy left.

It is dependent on Marino and Matheson of course, but I don't think Letang's value really plays a huge role in here.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He has 60 games of experience. He had no leverage.

The alternative was 3 more years after his entry level deal with restricted rights.

If he kills it, then he left some back loaded money on the table. If he's marginally improved, then the earnings are probably a wash. If not, then he's probably a little better off for it.

I get it. The certainty of being set for life chosen over the potential to maybe earn a few million more starting in 2025.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think it will be a trade value question, it will be JR trying another "shake up the team" move and Letang's really the only guy left.

It is dependent on Marino and Matheson of course, but I don't think Letang's value really plays a huge role in here.

I suppose.

Then again, I never underestimate JR's penchant for stupidity when it comes to shaking up the team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I guess that's a possibility, although part of me wonders if Rutherford's still in position if they need to go shaking the team up again next off-season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I guess that's a possibility, although part of me wonders if Rutherford's still in position if they need to go shaking the team up again next off-season.

I think even if JR gets canned next off-season, whoever coming in would want to make a similar impact as what JR would want to make. Just like when JR came in and traded Neal in his first off-season here.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Awesome deal!!! As people have said this deal already is a good deal even without improvement. When Marino went down that is when the Pens went on that bad losing streak towards the end of the season and I don't think that was a coincidence. That moved Schultz into top 4 minutes and he was terrible. Marino gave us Dumoulin like defense with much more offense. 6 goals and 26 points in 56 games with very little PP time is close to 40 point range as a rookie. When Letang hangs them up in a few years Marino playing on the top PP could reach 50+ points and easily 40+ points a year. I see his upside as a legit number 1 defenseman. At worst he is a more offensive Dumoulin who has been a solid number 2 for us for the past several years.

I love this deal locking Marino up much more than the Pettersson deal. I always felt the Pettersson deal was fair but see him as just an average 2nd pairing defenseman. That is worth his contract and maybe he can put on some weight and turn into a Dumoulin like player but I thought that contract was no bargain like this one.

My hope is that Matheson shines in our system and POJ keeps developing nicely and we trade Pettersson for a nice young forward at some point. Having 5 defenseman making $4+ million a year is a little bit much.

I'd much rather play Marino with Matheson than Pets. I'm not a fan of Pets deal because he's just so vanilla for the cost, but leaving that aside the Pets-Marino pairing is brutally soft.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think even if JR gets canned next off-season, whoever coming in would want to make a similar impact as what JR would want to make. Just like when JR came in and traded Neal in his first off-season here.

Whoever replaces JR, even if it's next summer, won't have the luxury of Crosby at 27 and Malkin at 28 to leverage. He'll get the 7 year older versions.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sometimes JRs tendency to sign everyone to long terms pays off!!

Excellent value. As for Marino, it’s always hard to put ourselves in someone’s shoes like that. 18 months ago, he was a solid college prospect that didn’t have a clear path in the Oilers org. Now he’s a top 4 dman on one of the most successful franchises in the last 30 years and they want to sign you to a 7 year deal worth nearly $30m. I don’t blame him at all for taking the guaranteed money.

Last edited:

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
This is a really really good deal

Optimistic that the point production will come with JJ and Schultz gone, but even if it doesn’t he’s basically making the same cap hit as Ian Cole

Reactions: Darkwing Psyduck

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Thinking this will work well and not be a Schultz or DP2.0

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

If Matheson turns things around here, and if he could make the successful transition to RD...he might just be used as insurance in case Letang asks for too much as a 35 year old UFA.

But a lot can happen in 2 years. Maybe Maniscalco somehow turns out to be even better than Marino and neither Letang or Matheson plays a top 4 role for the Pens in Fall 2022.

Reactions: BHD

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
2022 summer will be interesting. Geno, Tanger, and Rust will be UFA's. Looks like 2022 could be the start of the end of an era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad