Confirmed with Link: Marino signs long-term deal: 6 x 4.4m

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Just thought it should be brought up, starting next year our top 5 D will be making 24.65m. That takes up roughly 30% of the current salary cap. Hopefully Seattle takes one of Pettersson/Matheson and POJ can replace them.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
From Marino’s perspective, I wonder why he wouldn’t have taken a bridge or slightly less term instead? Like I get that $26.4 mil is a lot of money, but this will lock him up until he’s 29.

Because if he turns into a pumpkin...

I don’t think he will, but he’s pretty much set for life now and will be able to still sign a big ass second deal if his arrow keeps pointing up.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Congratulations my HF Pens friends on the extension/ re-signing. One of my favourite break out players last season (seems like 2 years ago now).

As many of you have mentioned, great value if he continues to improve and well worth it if he’s hit his peak.

After some questionable deals lately it’s nice to see some tidy business by GMJR.

Well done indeed!
17562B3C-7C5B-4CC8-B5C4-6F137DE08928.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean in 6 years if he progresses how we want and I’m sure how he plans—

the cap will be higher and he’d make up the 10M difference (vs a 6x6 deal) within a year or two on his next deal.

Makes sense on all sides.

If everything went Marino's way, if he's taken a two-three year after season, the bridge goes up by a million and he could be signing a 1D deal as a 26 year old selling mainly UFA years. Fair dos to him for putting security first but it's a lot of money off a reasonable best case career path.

Just thought it should be brought up, starting next year our top 5 D will be making 24.65m. That takes up roughly 30% of the current salary cap. Hopefully Seattle takes one of Pettersson/Matheson and POJ can replace them.

It feels pretty likely to me that one of Pettersson/Matheson/Dumo is gone next year one way or another. Hopefully Matheson is a hit here and allows us to make good choices here rather than just sacrificing the guy we can move.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It feels pretty likely to me that one of Pettersson/Matheson/Dumo is gone next year one way or another. Hopefully Matheson is a hit here and allows us to make good choices here rather than just sacrificing the guy we can move.

I still think Letang gets traded and they run with Marino, Dumoulin, Matheson and Pettersson as their top-4.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
The core of this team is on such team friendly deals. You got Malkin, Guentzel, Letang, Crosby, Marino and Dumoulin now for less than 40 Million. Thats great value, sadly we did not use it well the past few years.

EDIT: and obviously LOVE the contract. Only way that this is not worth it is if he regresses into a #5 defenseman. Otherwise its manageable at worst to an absolute steal of a contract. And he turned from not sure if he could make the NHL to set for life in a year

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I gotta say from Marino's POV this is a stupid contract. He left as much as $10m on the table.

Stability is nice but he should know his worth. Even in a covid era with reduced budgets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad