Marincin. Why is he in our top 6?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I don't think he's done any worst then Rielly or Barrie would of done if you told them they had to become stay-at-home defensemen.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
They're trying to develop him into the 6'4" defensive defenseman who can play the "Red Rover" position. People always act surprised that Mike Babcock plays these guys, but in lieu of an Alex Pietrangelo they're trying to build someone up in house who can fill that role.
Which is kind of weird given Holl's treatment. Could Gravel be next in line?

As for the thread: Marincin's a relatively cheap defenseman that can play both sides of the ice, who can play quality PK minutes, and one that shows offensive upside. He's also shown chemistry with Rielly, and Sandin, and is thick enough for Babcock's liking.

Reactions: diceman934

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Marincin is like a case of herpes; he goes away but always comes back. Every damn year he's back, can't get rid of this bum. I still haven't forgotten that Johansson OT goal in game 6.

Reactions: TheBigThree

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I don't think he's done any worst then Rielly or Barrie would of done if you told them they had to become stay-at-home defensemen.

Especially given the fact that he is only a short term stop gap till Dermott is healthy and Lilly is ready to take his spot next to Sandman for good.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Because he's a thick, thick, man. Babcock likes that a lot. He also admires his long stick and the way Marty positions it on the ice.

Why does this sound dirty? Hockey is a dirty game b'y.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
He has the tools. Question is whether he has become mentally tougher and will avoid the breakdowns.
Short answer appears to be he has gained confidence through his time at the Marlies and the Worlds.
Easy to give him a try while Dermott is out.
Honestly, I think he is better than Ceci (not that that is saying much) and could be a better pairing with Rielly when Dermott is back.
But who knows what Babs is thinking?
And Lily is still with the team, makes you wonder?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty good defensively and exactly what people want more on the roster. Excels at stopping easy zone entries and breaking up cycles with his reach and size.

He handles the puck like a grenade but he's capable of making passes.

He's a pretty solid depth defenseman.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Marty is good as long as he's confident. Unfortunately he lets his mistakes undermine his confidence at which points his game falls apart.

Hopefully his strong showing at the worlds will keep him mentally strong until Travis gets back.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

200w.webp

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He earned it while others fell on their swords.

Don't blame the coaches blame the players who failed to be better than he was.

The guy is a sub NHL Dman. He can string a few low quality pre season games and work out, big whoop. I am sure he is a fantastic practice player. People just love that in Toronto, intangibles everywhere, paint the city intangireene

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bottom pairing player that is not much different than many of the bottom pairing players that came before him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bottom pairing player that is not much different than many of the bottom pairing players that came before him.

So much so he has 201 games in 8 years in the league. Well rested player. Intangible.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The guy is a sub NHL Dman. He can string a few low quality pre season games and work out, big whoop. I am sure he is a fantastic practice player. People just love that in Toronto, intangibles everywhere, paint the city intangireene

Yeah, kind of disappointing Liljegren couldn't separate himself, Schmaltz, Gravel, Lindgren, Kivihalme didn't show and Holl still looks like Holl.

But Sandin really showed something.

But it was just preseason and we remember how Percy looked until the NHLers got up to speed.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A ton?

You cannot even name one.

Go ahead and list them. We'll wait.
I don't want to blast our own guys. But I think most of us have seen enough over the years to know the issues. I always hope for the best for guys that is why I asked the question. In my mind if he can handle the pressure of opposing speed and forecheck without giving up the puck I would be very happy. He is not blessed with hands and unfortunately it is an innate skill which if you don't have it oh well not much you can do about that. Also I would like a big man like him to insert himself into the game physically. This watching from the sidelines as an observer must end. Anyways lets hope for the best and maybe he can develop late as big men often do.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
we should pick up djoos and drop marincin ........ babs seems to be in love with marincin and that love affair needs to go away.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, kind of disappointing Liljegren couldn't separate himself, Schmaltz, Gravel, Lindgren, Kivihalme didn't show and Holl still looks like Holl.

But Sandin really showed something.

But it was just preseason and we remember how Percy looked until the NHLers got up to speed.

Lilj was miles ahead of Mari in pre. He really was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad