Marincin. Why is he in our top 6?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Can someone explain to me why Marincin is in our top 6? I can see a ton of hockey reasons why he should not be. But I must be missing something BIG here. What is it that Babs likes here? What can he do which any one of the other guys can't do? Quite frankly I have not understood this guy from day 1. And I totally get why Oilers cut him.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The short answer is he isn't. He's keeping a spot warm for Dermott until he returns.

There's been a lot of debate over which 7th-at-best defenseman is better than the other, but short of Sandin, there were no real standouts in camp to take a spot this year.

Marincin is an okay #7. He's got decent defensive coverage...now if only they could teach him how to do safe outlet passes and not handle the puck like a grenade....

For all we know, Liljegren could start opening night, no? Although I think the Leafs' would rather he gets some big minutes in the A.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's better than Holl or Schmaltz.... Liljegren needs more Marlies time. That's pretty much our options on the right side.

Marty can PK, and looked reasonable with Sandin.

He's here until Dermott comes back, or there are injuries.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's better than Holl or Schmaltz.... Liljegren needs more Marlies time. That's pretty much our options on the right side.

Marty can PK, and looked reasonable with Sandin.

He's here until Dermott comes back, or there are injuries.

Really Sandin needs more AHL time too (if not more so than Liljegren) but it looks like the Leafs may be looking at both him and Sandin for a few games until Dermott is back to gauge where exactly they are.

buds69

Oct 4, 2017
If you actually watched him this pre season with no bias he's been very good and plays well with Sandin. Give the guy a chance he's been improving and was one of the best D at the world championships

Reactions: Fogelhund

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Welp, considering I am extremely negative on Marincin the easy answer is that he shouldnt be.

That said, he wasnt too bad in the pre-season and has clearly worked on improving. But when Dermott returns it will be Marincin sitting down. I can absolutely see in certain games Babcock will probably sit Sandin down for Marincins size.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If you actually watched him this pre season with no bias he's been very good and plays well with Sandin. Give the guy a chance he's been improving and was one of the best D at the world championships
Yeah I have not see the preseason games except Saturday night which was my first one. Really hard to get into a dman who does not hit anyone and handles the puck like a ball.

Sep 18, 2009
If you have ever played you know you need to get into a rhythm it is hard to just step in and get up to speed whoever they choose needs to be given a chance instead of flipping back and forth game after game and that is what Marincin needs

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Dermott's injury. Penalty killing ability. Familiarity with Sandin. Most NHL experienced of the players vying for the spot.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
giphy.gif

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
keeping a spot warm until Dermott comes back

and outplayed the crap we picked up from the scrap heap

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marincin has actually had his most impressive stint ever in this training camp.
If there's ever a time i don't mind keeping him, it's now.

Problem 1. Training camp and Pre
Problem 2. He craps the bed after a few games every single time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad