Marincin. Why is he in our top 6?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I don't like how is name is pronounced Marin-Chin but his chin is his least prominent feature

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The reason Marincin is here is because everyone else sucked. We tried some band aids, they didn't work.. Harpur, Shmaltz. After a great run of luck Dermott, Johnsson,Moore, Mylkahev all panning out we have a small weakness with Dermott out. When you pay 4 guys near $40 Million your bottom pairing looks weak if some prospect doesn't rise up and grab a spot. This year it was Sandin and Liljegren aint ready yet.

horner

May 22, 2007
Can someone explain to me why Marincin is in our top 6? I can see a ton of hockey reasons why he should not be. But I must be missing something BIG here. What is it that Babs likes here? What can he do which any one of the other guys can't do? Quite frankly I have not understood this guy from day 1. And I totally get why Oilers cut him.
He looks alot better than last yr so far.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Can someone explain to me why Marincin is in our top 6? I can see a ton of hockey reasons why he should not be. But I must be missing something BIG here. What is it that Babs likes here? What can he do which any one of the other guys can't do? Quite frankly I have not understood this guy from day 1. And I totally get why Oilers cut him.
Actually.. I could be wrong, but he wasn't cut. We traded Brad Ross for him I'm pretty sure (the guy who was supposed to be a Darcy Tucker type and didn't end up being anything). As for why Marincin has the #6 spot? Nobody else looked any more deserving of the spot to be fair. Luckily Sandin impressed or the bottom pairing would be really scary

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They're trying to develop him into the 6'4" defensive defenseman who can play the "Red Rover" position. People always act surprised that Mike Babcock plays these guys, but in lieu of an Alex Pietrangelo they're trying to build someone up in house who can fill that role.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would much rather have given Holl a shot on the right side with Sandin.

Dermott doesn't do RD, they put him there for a little last year and he sucked. Sandin doesn't do RD either and so it would go, when Dermott is back, Sandin is going down. Lilj is staying up and Holl will be waived.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marincin.jpg

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Really was hoping for a physical D-man in the 6th spot....but ofcourse Babcock decides to go with his long lost son instead.

Pairing a 19yr old Rookie with Marincin is awful. Sandin is gonna get bullied while Marincin watches from the corner. '

Babcock led teams were always soft and will always be soft.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Yeah he sucked. It was because of Muzzin I beleive, really didn't like it at all, he wasn't at all effective like his normal self
Yes Muzzin created an extra need for a right side defenceman. And what Babs has said (which is true), the D-man that makes plays should be on his strong side. Ie Rielly-Hainsey. In that pairing it was Gardiner-Dermott. Both puck movers. I agree it's not ideal for Dermott. Nor would it be ideal for Sandin. But you gotta ice your best 6 imo. Plenty of other teams in the NHL without perfect lefty righty balance. When Dermott is back I take him or Sandin on the right over Marincin playing there (who is also on his off side, just with a lot of experience on the right)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Marincin has failed here and got a chance at redemption more times than one would like to think about. Once Dermott is back he’ll be gone... I hope. I don’t buy this new Marincin garbage. He’s had other flashes in the past but he’s inconsistent. Boggles my mind that the leafs gave him another chance

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

A ton?

You cannot even name one.

Go ahead and list them. We'll wait.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Nothing wrong with Marincin and people should not expect a lot, he is a depth "D" and always going to be

Last edited:
Reactions: rubous

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He’s had a good camp, credit is due. But I think it won’t take long for him to show his true colours
I think he finally feels confident with Babs as the coach and it showed in the preseason. He earned his roster spot. I like his game when he is played with a good puck moving D men. He played well with Rielly a long while back.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Well for starters, he's not in our top 6, Dermott will take his place once he's back. In terms of why he made it over other guys its simple. He can play the right side, he can PK, he's played in the system before and Babcock is familiar with him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad