Waived: Marincin on waivers (Update - Clears and will go to the Marlies).

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I don't disagree. We are running with 12F right now, and we are fine. However, the sense is that Oz has some sort of KHL out clause. Where if he gets sent down to the AHL, he can opt to go back to Russia instead.

I could be wrong, but I think Oz's contract is a 2-way deal, so he gets paid FAR less being in the AHL, than the NHL. So even if it was a scenario where we told Oz we wanted him to keep getting minutes, he probably wouldn't be down for the pay decrease.

What stops the Leafs from paying him his full money in the AHL though? It makes zero difference in relation to competition or what have you. If Leafs ownership says sure pay him the full contract in the AHL why does it matter after the fact. The only reason the one-way two-way contracts are in place is for the cash strapped teams that need that lower salary for players in the minors.

Edit - Honestly does anyone have an answer just curious.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You apparently didn't watch any Marlies game last year. Holl was easily the best Dman on the squad. He's a big guy who has wheels and can chip in with offense. Why Babcock hates him is anyone's guess. I'd rate him over Zaitsev, easily.
Holl was not the best D man on the Marlies he played with the best D man. Rosen is and was the Best D man.

Holl skating specifically transition skating is not at the NHL level it was an issue in the AHL as well.
I am not a Zaitsev fan but he is vastly superior to Holl as an NHL D man. Which should tell everyone just how valuable Holl is. Dubas wants to keep him. Babcock has nothing against him other then he can not skate at the NHL level.

Reactions: Kiwi

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What stops the Leafs from paying him his full money in the AHL though? It makes zero difference in relation to competition or what have you. If Leafs ownership says sure pay him the full contract in the AHL why does it matter after the fact. The only reason the one-way two-way contracts are in place is for the cash strapped teams that need that lower salary for players in the minors.

You can’t pay a player outside what their contract dictates. That’s cap circumvention

Reactions: Keon1963

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
You can’t pay a player outside what their contract dictates. That’s cap circumvention

It's not though, they could have just signed him to a 1 way deal, not really sure why they didn't unless they weren't allowed. There is no salary cap in the minors.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's not though, they could have just signed him to a 1 way deal, not really sure why they didn't unless they weren't allowed. There is no salary cap in the minors.

Like I get that it is sort of, but at the same time, it doesn't affect the cap at all, so it sort of isn't.

Ozhiganov's contract had to be a 2-way deal because it was an Entry-Level Deal.

He gets paid less if he's in the AHL, than if he's in the NHL.

If the Leafs get caught paying him more outside of what his contract says, it's against the CBA, and they'll get punished via draft picks.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Probably already mentioned, but it does also save the Leafs a bit of cap space. A pro-rated 125k is probably not a big deal, but anything helps when you do not want to have bonus overages.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Edit - Honestly does anyone have an answer just curious.
Rules stop it.

Players with one way deals is a deterrent for clubs to claim on waivers. To costly if they seek waivers on them and send them to the Minors. It is why we give out s lot of one way deals to AHL players.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Holl was not the best D man on the Marlies he played with the best D man. Rosen is and was the Best D man.

Holl skating specifically transition skating is not at the NHL level it was an issue in the AHL as well.
I am not a Zaitsev fan but he is vastly superior to Holl as an NHL D man. Which should tell everyone just how valuable Holl is. Dubas wants to keep him. Babcock has nothing against him other then he can not skate at the NHL level.

You and I don't agree on much but Holl makes Zaitsev look like a Norris candidate

And I'm not Zaitsev fan either

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I am surprised, thought that Holl would go first, seeing as Marincin has played the right side a fair bit and I think is steadier than Holl, and certainly Babcock has played him more, but I guess we have so many 6/7 defenceman it doesn't matter.
Would be nice if Hainsey sat out in favour of Ozi, but Babcocks gotta Babcock.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
It's a wash between him and Holl, I could see why mgmt thought he was intriguing at first. Hope he clears because he was good with the Marlies last season.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Watching Holl with the Marlies his skating to me looked above average, certainly of NHL calibre, his draw back is the same as many Leafs players his lack of physicality is his downfall, doesn't win battles along the boards. It's obvious Dubas likes him because he's not being waived.

Reactions: Intellivisionhockey

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
leivo's scoring at a 20gl/30pt pace in 3rd line minutes, with easily the best possession numbers on the team.

Ah yes, thanks for actually putting the time in to get the correct stats. He's a good player, Dubas or Babcock were foolish to dump him over some of the weak specimens they kept over him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would have thought Holl would be the way to go, but maybe he slots higher as a RHD.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
How long do other teams have to claim him before the Leafs can assign him to the Marlies?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Great move, after the Washington series I was hoping to never see him in a leaf uniform again.

Him consistently shooting the puck around the board right to the caps dman still gives me nightmares.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Glad they didn't send Oz down. Holl isn't an NHL player, Marincin has already cleared waivers once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad