Waived: Marincin on waivers (Update - Clears and will go to the Marlies).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This one is interesting to me. He looked fine in the few games he played.

I wonder if something is in the works... or am I reading into something that isn't there?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hot Take: Marincin >> Holl

Does it Matter? Nah.. hopefully he gets claimed and can play somewhere

Reactions: thewave

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Interesting that the coach preferred him over Holl but GM sent him down anyway....cracks?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Still no clue why Justin Holl is on this roster.

Marincin is a better player. Has looked good in the 9ish games he's played this year.

Holl scores two goals last year, and is apparently a roster lock despite barely playing this year lmao.

I ain't mad if Marincin gets claimed, but I find it odd we are dumping better players with NHL experience for a player that Babcock clearly has no interest in playing on our NHL roster. (Nor should he IMO)

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Marincin is a better player. Has looked good in the 9ish games he's played this year.

Holl scores two goals last year, and is apparently a roster lock despite barely playing this year lmao.

I ain't mad if Marincin gets claimed, but I find it odd we are dumping better players with NHL experience for a player that Babcock clearly has no interest in playing on our NHL roster. (Nor should he IMO)
He's the new Corrado

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Maybe Holl is part of a RHD trade as salary since he's signed for next season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's the new Corrado

Essentially. Dubas is doing what to Holl what Lou did to Corrado. Keeping him on the roster despite the fact that Babcock doesn't want to use them. Babcock was willing to us Marincin.

Now we have Oz and Holl as spare D, and they are both RHD. So there's no way Holl is going to get more chances due to this either.

It's just odd. This team is very weird with our spare D.

Maybe Holl is part of a RHD trade as salary since he's signed for next season.

I suppose this could be 3D chess type move none of us can see, but we got rid of Carrick in September to keep Holl.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Essentially. Dubas is doing what to Holl what Lou did to Corrado. Keeping him on the roster despite the fact that Babcock doesn't want to use them. Babcock was willing to us Marincin.

Now we have Oz and Holl as spare D, and they are both RHD. So there's no way Holl is going to get more chances due to this either.

I suppose this could be 3D chess type move none of us can see, but we got rid of Carrick in September to keep Holl.

Carrick's a RFA though. Holl + a pick for someone say like a Mark Pysyk could be a trade TBH

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting that the coach preferred him over Holl but GM sent him down anyway....cracks?

Holl is signed to a league minimum deal for next season, which could come in handy with a bit of a cap crunch. Marincin makes a decent chunk of change for being a #8 D now behind Ozhiganov and he's also a pending UFA that's not going to be back.

I agree that Holl not playing is incredibly annoying. I wouldn't hold it against him for looking off/bad when he's only played about 30 minutes worth of hockey in about 3 months. Babcock should have played him more than he did.

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I would play Holl over Hainsey in a heartbeat. I have no idea why Babcock, and the Leafs overall, seem to value Hainsey so highly.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Holl is signed to a league minimum deal for next season, which could come in handy with a bit of a cap crunch. Marincin makes a decent chunk of change for being a #8 D now behind Ozhiganov and he's also a pending UFA that's not going to be back.

I agree that Holl not playing is incredibly annoying. I wouldn't hold it against him for looking off/bad when he's only played about 30 minutes worth of hockey in about 3 months.

Holl could also be dealt in a package to clear the roster spot

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014

You apparently didn't watch any Marlies game last year. Holl was easily the best Dman on the squad. He's a big guy who has wheels and can chip in with offense. Why Babcock hates him is anyone's guess. I'd rate him over Zaitsev, easily.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Carrick's a RFA though. Holl + a pick for someone say like a Mark Pysyk could be a trade TBH

We don't really have the room to add any more salary when we factor in Matthews and Marner potential bonuses. We need to leave like 3.2Mish in space to avoid any overage next season, and we only have about 4M.

If we get a Gudas or Pysyk before the deadline, someone will close to equal salary will need to go the other way.

lmao they're keeping the RHD who can move the puck, is cheaper and signed for another year

- Oz is ahead of Holl on the depth chart, is also sitting, and is also RHD. So being a RHD as our 8th D, when our 7th D is a RHD, doesn't really matter
- Marincin can move the puck as good, if not better than Holl
- Great, Holl won't be claimed so he'll still be around next year.

Like I said, it's no big deal. Whether Marincin is in the press box, or Holl is, it doesn't really change a whole lot. It's just interesting to me that Dubas seems intent on keeping Holl on the roster while Babcock doesn't have any interest in using him.

It's similar to what happened between Lou and Babcock with Corrado.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Marincin never looks good. It's like saying Z is good and Jake is bad. Makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad