WJC: Marincin hit on Zucker (UPD: Marincin suspended 4 games; Hrasko 3 games)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It was a dirty hit, and I hope the kid's ok.
That said, I can't imagine what HFboards (and the NHL) would do if Bobby Clarke or Mark Messier played today. Hockey's a physical game and things happen fast, did he want to punish him a bit, definitely, did he mean to elbow and concuss him, maybe maybe not.
And the OP gives up any chance to ***** and moan when Avery is in your sig and he's suckerpunching Smid.

Who says Clarke or Messier were playing the right way back then? Just because something used to be so, doesn't make it the way it should be now.

He could have Charles Manson as his avatar, and it still wouldn't make his opinion any less valid.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
So death is your deciding factor for determining outrage on a hit? I suppose all is fair then, as long as nobody dies. :shakehead
Was Zucker facing the death after that hit? :amazed: :shakehead

Is it then possible that the Slovak defenseman dove last year when Zucker hit him? It kind of looked like it to me on the video I saw :sarcasm:
Štajnoch's fall didn't look so artificially as Zucker's however why are you comparing these two hits? It's impossible. Zucker even didn't fouled him (I'm sure that's your opinion, too, if yes I agree with you at this point), but the impact was dumb... That's the life. Marinčin fouled Zucker. He also deserved game misconduct. But he didn't deserve 4 game suspension (I wouldn't give him any extra suspension, maybe 1 game suspension). If I read this topic and I wouldn't know what Marinčin did, I would think he's a murder and he did something like Cormier did or even worse. PERIOD/FULL STOP.

The Hrasko hit was shoulder, I think. Dirty because he left his feet, but I've no idea what D'amigo was doing. Shudder to think what'd happen to him in the NHL with his head down like that.

The other hit was different. From the angle it doesn't look like the elbow hit the head (although it definitely could have). Kind of got spun and maybe landed on the ice poorly. Wish there were more angles.

Either way, both dirty hits, neither as dirty as half the posts are saying, though. I'd be surprised if either of the US players missed more than a game.

Not saying he dived. And they were dirty hits. Just a bit of over reacting. A different angle could prove otherwise, though.

Finally, somebody who is using his brain.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The Hrasko hit was shoulder, I think. Dirty because he left his feet, but I've no idea what D'amigo was doing. Shudder to think what'd happen to him in the NHL with his head down like that.

The other hit was different. From the angle it doesn't look like the elbow hit the head (although it definitely could have). Kind of got spun and maybe landed on the ice poorly. Wish there were more angles.

Either way, both dirty hits, neither as dirty as half the posts are saying, though. I'd be surprised if either of the US players missed more than a game.

Not saying he dived. And they were dirty hits. Just a bit of over reacting. A different angle could prove otherwise, though.

I agree 100%
The 4 games was fully warranted and for the Hrasko hit I think the major, the game + the next game would've been enough. (1 game suspension)
2 games was too severe.

In Exisle

Nov 24, 2006
Boston, MA
Well, I have to laugh at you. All of you don't understand how we can defend Marinčin (btw I don't defend him). But you don't realize that you are doing the same thing, it's just rotated 180 degrees.

I'm sorry, but the only thing laugable here is your claim that Zucker dived (which you are now stepping back from) and that dive caused the injury. Are you serious? If you take a dive you aren't leaving your head open to hit the ice.

I don't get how what I'm doing is the same as defending Marincin. The play was dirty. Period. Not saying the guy should be crucified. He got punished properly and now we can all move on (except for Zucker who may be concussed - which is easy to dismiss when it's not you).

However, to suggest that Zucker took a dive there? wow.

BTW.. the Hrasko hit only deserved the automatic 1 game. I thought the suspension to him was a bit excessive.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Was Zucker facing the death after that hit? :amazed: :shakehead

Å tajnoch's fall didn't look so artificially as Zucker's however why are you comparing these two hits? It's impossible. Zucker even didn't fouled him (I'm sure that's your opinion, too, if yes I agree with you at this point), but the impact was dumb... That's the life. Marinčin fouled Zucker. He also deserved game misconduct. But he didn't deserve 4 game suspension (I wouldn't give him any extra suspension, maybe 1 game suspension). If I read this topic and I wouldn't know what Marinčin did, I would think he's a murder and he did something like Cormier did or even worse. PERIOD/FULL STOP.

Finally, somebody who is using his brain.

No, he wasn't. He doesn't have to be in order for me to outraged. It's still an unnecessary hit that could potential alter the course of what has started out to become a promising career.

It looked artificial to me (last year's hit). In fact, the more I look at it, the faker it becomes. The suspension really doesn't matter to me at all; it's not like these two teams are going to play each other again, and Slovakia was probably going to be relegated anyway.

*******, I might break something if another Wild prospect get concussed.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Frontier justice???? Hardly! This is just a symptom of a neutered sport that happens on occasion to erupt into random acts of senseless violence. I actually pine for the true frontier days when a worthless punk like Marincin would not have left the ice under his own volition; where there would have been immediate retribution and a message sent to all others that such cowardly acts would not be tolerated.

Of course the IIHF always took it upon itself to "police" the game. What is unfortunate is that the NHL has now gone down the same path.

So, let me get this straight - you are saying the game should be policed by the participants, who obviously have a vested interest in an uneven outcome? So, whenever your team doesn't like something someone on the other team does, you can and should feel free to deliver your own kneecapping or beatdown of the other party? The natural escalation of violence that would come from such a system would be untenable, since the 'score' would likely never be settled - there would always be eternal revenge enacted by the mostly recently attacked team, as they "stick up for their teammates". You'd have more brawls, more serious injury and games getting totally out of hand. Sounds like an awesome solution.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Bot suspensions seems right to me.. dirty dirty plays. Kassian should be penalized another game, was as bad as Hraskos imo.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Looked at it again.

I don't see any elbow. Please, tell me where is it, because I highly doubt there were an elbow in Zucker's face. Unfortunately, this view doesn't tell us the whole truth.

Look again.

Here's a bit better video.

1:15 into the clip.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
People that even have the idea of a dive/embellishment involved in this play are either unbelievable homers, have never played hockey, and/or have a terrible sense for the game. Ridiculously dirty play and a well-earned suspension without any doubt whatsoever.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
People that even have the idea of a dive/embellishment involved in this play are either unbelievable homers, have never played hockey, and/or have a terrible sense for the game. Ridiculously dirty play and a well-earned suspension without any doubt whatsoever.

What this has nothing to do with homers.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Sure it was a bad hit and suspendable, but not near worth the outrage. Some people seem to be really taking this personally. Took so many pages of real serious *****ing before we got a video of it. Away from the play and all that so sure there's gonna be discipline

I'm gonna echo the sentiment that I might have done the same. My teams getting blown out and the opposition is still throwing their weight around, then I see that guy that all my teammates remember, as I pass by I give him the business or stop and have a little talk.

While it was a bad play, the result made it worse than the intent. Marincin meant to rough him up but it was hardly as viscious as expected from the reactions I was reading before we finally got a video.

I guess once again I don't really get hockey culture where it's okay to end someone's career as long as he has the puck or had it a second ago.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
That there are people dismissing the hits in last nights game is idiocy.

Here's hoping it happens to you. When you recover enough to tell someone what planet you're on again, then with any luck you'll have the logic skills to see things correctly.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
That there are people dismissing the hits in last nights game is idiocy.

Here's hoping it happens to you. When you recover enough to tell someone what planet you're on again, then with any luck you'll have the logic skills to see things correctly.

Wishing pain on others, classy.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Wishing pain on others, classy.

Well, he wishes it upon those people that lack of empathy, respect for the game, its rules and the opponent players to begin with. I would refrain from doing so myself, but when I browse through all these threads about just the hits from the last couple of days, I understand how one might get to the point where you believe masses won't learn until they are subject of such incidents themselves. I agree that it's sad. But at the same time I understand MK9's frustration all too well.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
One person involved in the diving "debate" seemed to be from Slovakia, so I thought it was obviously a possibility that needed to be included. ;)
Smart guy :sarcasm:

They were not even similar. Hraskos was much worse.
I wouldn't say much, but I agree. It was worse. Or better said - it looked worse. No doubt there were elbow (or shoulder) in D'Amigo's head. And this I can't say about Marinčin's hit.

I think you evaluate hit by its result. That's no good - Results of the hit can depend on many things, not only on the place where you hit your opponent (but it also important factor). Why are you talking still about diving? Yeah, I wrote that, but I have never written he dived. It just seems to me. Maybe I'm wrong. If I get a better view where I see he didn't dive (unfortunately, I'm sure I won't get it) I will apologize for that. I don't have any problems with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad