WJC: Marincin hit on Zucker (UPD: Marincin suspended 4 games; Hrasko 3 games)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
it looked like Marincin was just going over to give him a shove after the hit, and Zucker turned at the wrong time and got caught in the wrong spot. you see guys come after each other with their hands up after hits all the time, I think Marincin just caught him in an awkward position.

edit: how long is Zucker out for?

I don't even know how you can say this with a straight face.

A lot of Edmonton fans are looking really foolish in this thread.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
Here are my opinions on the hits...

Hit 1 - Kassian
The hit was wrong because it was slightly late, and from the blind side.
I do believe that he let up slightly and I see no evidence that he targeted the head. While there is no intent clearly displayed, the player must be responsible for his actions. I do believe that he did hit the head. This hit falls into the category of the new blind side hit rule in the NHL, and he most likely would have been suspended for 3 games. In a short tournament like this, I feel that between 1 and 2 games was warranted

Hit 2- Hit on D'Amigo.
The Slovak player hit D'Amigo while he was making a play on the puck. D'Amigo was fair game AND he had his head down. HOWEVER, the Slovak player clearly jumped while initiating the hit. It is my belief that the intent to deliver a knockout blow was there. Why else would you jump? Because the head was targeted, and you demonstrated intent to hit high, I believe a suspension of around 3 to 4 games was warranted.

Hit 3 - On Zucker
There is nothing right about this play. The hit had nothing to do with hockey. Zucker hadn't touched the puck for about 5 seconds, and wasn't close to the play. The elbow went high on purpose and targeted the head. I believe that the only intent on this play was to hit Zucker in the head. Because of the blatant nature of this one, I believe the player should be suspended from international competition for 1 year's time.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
it looked like Marincin was just going over to give him a shove after the hit, and Zucker turned at the wrong time and got caught in the wrong spot. you see guys come after each other with their hands up after hits all the time, I think Marincin just caught him in an awkward position.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are an Oilers fan. :laugh:

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Here are my opinions on the hits...

Hit 1 - Kassian
The hit was wrong because it was slightly late, and from the blind side.
I do believe that he let up slightly and I see no evidence that he targeted the head. While there is no intent clearly displayed, the player must be responsible for his actions. I do believe that he did hit the head. This hit falls into the category of the new blind side hit rule in the NHL, and he most likely would have been suspended for 3 games. In a short tournament like this, I feel that between 1 and 2 games was warranted

Hit 2- Hit on D'Amigo.
The Slovak player hit D'Amigo while he was making a play on the puck. D'Amigo was fair game AND he had his head down. HOWEVER, the Slovak player clearly jumped while initiating the hit. It is my belief that the intent to deliver a knockout blow was there. Why else would you jump? Because the head was targeted, and you demonstrated intent to hit high, I believe a suspension of around 3 to 4 games was warranted.

Hit 3 - On Zucker
There is nothing right about this play. The hit had nothing to do with hockey. Zucker hadn't touched the puck for about 5 seconds, and wasn't close to the play. The elbow went high on purpose and targeted the head. I believe that the only intent on this play was to hit Zucker in the head. Because of the blatant nature of this one, I believe the player should be suspended from international competition for 1 year's time.

Kassian's hit wasn't from the blindside though. It was from straight on, the exact opposite side would have been the blind side.

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007

It was a concussion. Looked worse than Perron's but not as bad as Cooke's. Cooke was back quickly. Perron's taking forever. With concussions, you never know how long.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Really? you don't find it odd that a guy who has a player known for cheap shots in his avatar complaining the loudest about a cheap shot taken against an american player?
Except Avery is known more for his mouth than his cheap shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad