WJC: Marincin hit on Zucker (UPD: Marincin suspended 4 games; Hrasko 3 games)

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
My favorite prospects, but man that was dirty
Yes it was. It was really stupid, too. But it wasn't so bad as some people there said.

For others:
Where's the problem?
- I don't doubt that was a foul
- I don't protest against the suspenssion (just the lenght of suspenssion is exaggerated I think, however nevermind, he will be able to play in final :sarcasm: )
- I don't defend Marinčin - it was soo stupid from him.

Last edited:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
So, let me get this straight - you are saying the game should be policed by the participants, who obviously have a vested interest in an uneven outcome? So, whenever your team doesn't like something someone on the other team does, you can and should feel free to deliver your own kneecapping or beatdown of the other party? The natural escalation of violence that would come from such a system would be untenable, since the 'score' would likely never be settled - there would always be eternal revenge enacted by the mostly recently attacked team, as they "stick up for their teammates". You'd have more brawls, more serious injury and games getting totally out of hand. Sounds like an awesome solution.

The game has never been "dirtier" than it is today. Stick infractions are at an alarmingly high rate....cheap shots abound! There were far few "dirty" hits back in the "brawling" 70's and 80's because players respected each other more and that was in large part based on the fear of retribution for any unsavoury acts.

Take away the stupid instigator rule and let the players mete out justice on the ice and believe me that the cheap shots and head hunting will diminish by a large margin!
So yes, not an awesome solution perhaps, but sensible nonetheless!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
WOW. JUST WOW. To everything you said.

Are you for real?

DIVED? Seriously? Yeah, that's why he needed help off the ice and looked completely out of it and didn't play the rest of the game. Most who dive, are out on their next shift on the ensuing powerplay.

Slovakian fans, Oilers fans, and whoever else is finding some way to defend or find some way to justify this hit... I feel sorry for you.

Yep. Just pathetic, really.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
The game has never been "dirtier" than it is today. Stick infractions are at an alarmingly high rate....cheap shots abound! There were far few "dirty" hits back in the "brawling" 70's and 80's because players respected each other more and that was in large part based on the fear of retribution for any unsavoury acts.

Take away the stupid instigator rule and let the players mete out justice on the ice and believe me that the cheap shots and head hunting will diminish by a large margin!
So yes, not an awesome solution perhaps, but sensible nonetheless!

So what exactly would happen in this case? Who on the ice would take on Marincin? I mean sure, he's still a bit skinny, but that's one huge kid, would you really want another american kid to try his luck in a fight with him after that hit?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
So what exactly would happen in this case? Who on the ice would take on Marincin? I mean sure, he's still a bit skinny, but that's one huge kid, would you really want another american kid to try his luck in a fight with him after that hit?

I can almost guarantee Mitch Callahan, for one, would destroy Marincin. The guy has 1 fight this year, and Callahan has 6. Size does not imply fighting ability.

That would never be tolerated in an IIHF event, of course. Marincin pulls that crap in a WHL game, and he'll pay big time, which is why he won't.

Take a look at Marincin's fight video. Eager at first, and ends up turtling. Ya, I'll put money on Callahan in a scrap between those two.

Last edited:

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
He could have Charles Manson as his avatar, and it still wouldn't make his opinion any less valid.
Really? you don't find it odd that a guy who has a player known for cheap shots in his avatar complaining the loudest about a cheap shot taken against an american player?

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Really? you don't find it odd that a guy who has a player known for cheap shots in his avatar complaining the loudest about a cheap shot taken against an american player?

Yes, it is odd. But you shouldn't lose the ability to form an opinion based on your avatar. What kind of logic is that? Same thing with me. My favorite hockey club employed Derek Boogaard for a number of years. Is my opinion less valid and my ability to be outraged lessened because of that?

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Yes, it is odd. But you shouldn't lose the ability to form an opinion based on your avatar. What kind of logic is that? Same thing with me. My favorite hockey club employed Derek Boogaard for a number of years. Is my opinion less valid and my ability to be outraged lessened because of that?
I agree with you but it's like the girl in high school who would say sex before marriage is horrible but everyone knew she was hooking up with the star quarterback you take their opinion with a grain of salt.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I agree with you but it's like the girl in high school who would say sex before marriage is horrible but everyone knew she was hooking up with the star quarterback you take their opinion with a grain of salt.

And you can do that; I'll chose not to. But, hey, what do you know? You have Freddy Mercury as your avatar. He didn't know anything about hockey; you must not either ;)

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
And you can do that; I'll chose not to. But, hey, what do you know? You have Freddy Mercury as your avatar. He didn't know anything about hockey; you must not either ;)
How do you know Freddy didn't know anything about hockey?:laugh:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This thread proves;

When an Oiler prospect throws an abominable cheap shot, it is, in fact, Sean Avery's fault.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Wow, I never saw the Hrasko hit before tonight, but the Kassian hit certainly looks docile in comparison. What a shame, it's also unfortunate that Slovakia may be left with a dirty reputation after this, but there's obviously someone to blame in that area.

bicycles

Aug 5, 2006
it looked like Marincin was just going over to give him a shove after the hit, and Zucker turned at the wrong time and got caught in the wrong spot. you see guys come after each other with their hands up after hits all the time, I think Marincin just caught him in an awkward position.

edit: how long is Zucker out for?

nycbruins*

Wow. Proof you can defend anything. And made even worse by saying it's not a big deal because Zucker threw a good legal hit the year before when the defenseman had the puck.

Looks like I have a new national team to root against. Crybaby sore loser cheap shot artists in this tourney.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
dirty hits. so far, there's 3 headshots in the tournament. yah double ihf rules probably prohibits players from retaliating because they'll get suspended. But if i were a teammate, would have just gone over there and drop the mitts.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
The Hrasko suspension, I would have been ok with the single game from the match call. Don't really agree with two on top of it honestly.

The Marincin is just right however. I don't know what that kid was thinking, especially considering his personal career. This elbow obviously doesn't ruin his reputation, but it surely hurts it. It also stripS himself of the opportunity to go out and have a solid tournament and raise his stock. It didn't send a message, outside of him unable to control his emotions, and it's ultimately going to hurt the team more then it ever could have helped it. Isn't one of the Slovaks dmen a really weak link, like they essentially had a 5 dman core? I don't see how this hit helps that problem either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad