Rumor: Marinaro: Philip Danault turned down $5M/6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
betting on himself for sure.

Guy is a great two way centre in canada but somehow is underrated. It will be interesting to see what he makes. I think him turning down that deal maybe more about wanting out of Montreal where he can see top line minutes being taken away by the likes of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.
1) he doesn't want out of montreal
2) he's maybe a no.2 on a team thin at C - which means, he's going for money rather than contending.

Reactions: malcb33

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Bergevin is the General Manager in the NHL nobody can trust in every single way. The guy plays a very ruthless game, understands it being thrown around the league as the crap player he once was.

I mean I can see where Danault might be going with it, that or stuff isn't going well for him there where he feels he needs a change.

Could see Colorado or Vegas being interested in him.
what the f*** does this even mean? pure nonsense

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
he's been bad this year but let's not act like $5M for him was "crazy" back in September.

You really think a 50 pts center who excels defensively and is always paired against the toughest lines while being good on faceoffs is gonna go for less? he finished 6th in Selke votes last year.

also if we do move on from him, not sure what better option would be out there to play top 3 center for us.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
One small step? Ryan has topped 20 goals 5 times in his career with a career high (twice) of 28. He is not far off a ppg in the playoffs and #1 center on a Cup winner. Danault career high in goals is 13. He’s put up 5 points in 16 playoff games. His offensive game isn’t anywhere near. Danault has 2 goals in his last 49 games, 1 of those into an empty net. He’s a solid two way guy but he’s not in the O’Reilly/Bergeron tier. Not even close
I'd say he's somewhere between Pageau and ROR.

Reactions: Kimota

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Hayes got 7x7, Nelson got 6x6. COVID is the wild card but it's not unreasonable to aim for that sort of contract. Some team out there will be desperate for center help and have space to work with.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I'm very happy he turned down the offer. If he thinks he's worth more, good luck to him, I'll drive him to the airport myself.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Habs reporter Tony Marinaro was on Jason Gregor's show on TSN1260 last Thursday and reported that Philip Danault had turned down a 6-year, $5M extension prior to the start of the season.
Can be found in Hour 1 of the podcast

Crazy decision if true

The title has it at $6M by 5 versus the post which is $5M by 6. Assuming the post is correct and not the title?

Reactions: Zahra Starker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad