Rumor: Marinaro: Philip Danault turned down $5M/6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Bergevin is the General Manager in the NHL nobody can trust in every single way. The guy plays a very ruthless game, understands it being thrown around the league as the crap player he once was.

I mean I can see where Danault might be going with it, that or stuff isn't going well for him there where he feels he needs a change.

Could see Colorado or Vegas being interested in him.
Colorado would definitely be interested in him. Vegas would probably have the edge given that they have more of an opening in the top 6 center positions. Then again if Glass develops well they'll have Glass-Karlsson-Danault which isn't that different from Mackinnong-Kadri/Newhook-Danault (Kadri likely leaves in UFA in 2022).

If he's looking for a payday it's unlikely that Avs will be involved, but if he wants to reconsider $5m x 6 years or even $5.5m x 6 away from Montreal that's certainly manageable.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who was going to pay Danault $7,142,857 a year?

Probably some GM who would have projected the cap rise like estimated

2019-20 - 81.5M
2020-21 - 84M
2021-22 - 88M
2022-23 - 92M
2023-24 - 97M
2024-25 - 102M

7.1M is nothing against 88M and rising cap.

But corona changed everything. People just wont get it - the difference. Projected life/cap with/without corona.

7.1M against 102M cap is like 5.7M against 81.5M cap.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Duclair 2.0.

He will regret that.

I don't agree with this. Duclair probably didn't realize GM's weren't sold on him, he said afterwards how it was enlightening how GM's felt about him when he had those discussions himself as self-representative. It was his lack of consistent success that was the issue for a long-term deal. Danault is a completely different hockey player and brings a lot of things teams value even if he doesn't score.

He can get that same deal from someone else no doubt so there's no reason to commit right now. This is his first crack at UFA and for any player it's intriguing to see what your options are going to be. Maybe there's a deal for him to be 3C on a proven contender like Pageau. Or maybe he wants to be a 2C. Habs have Suzuki and Kotkaniemi and if those guys are clearly ahead of him at the end of the season Montreal isn't where he'd want to stay.

I don't think this is a case of Danault laughing at the deal and thinking he's worth way more. More so not wanting to give up the opportunity to explore his options.

Reactions: malcb33

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If true, I'm not sure if anyone will pay him more and if it's about a offensive top 6 role, I'm not sure who is giving that to him either next year. Personally I wouldn’t give him that money or top 6 mins on a normal basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: BananaCat11

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Lack of top end talent or guys who have that potential beyond Suzuki and very questionable group of top-4 LD seem like the obvious ones to me.
They may not have “top end” talent, but they have quality depth throughout their top 12. Top 4 D? Guarantee you, 90% of the NHL would want Romanov, Weber and Petry. Especially your team

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Bergevin is the General Manager in the NHL nobody can trust in every single way. The guy plays a very ruthless game, understands it being thrown around the league as the crap player he once was.

I mean I can see where Danault might be going with it, that or stuff isn't going well for him there where he feels he needs a change.

Could see Colorado or Vegas being interested in him.
Can’t trust bergevin because he’ll fleece you maybe .

BananaCat11

Jun 30, 2019
Laurentians
It is a strange scenario. He wants more then they are willing to offer. Bergevin also shopped him around several times and didn't get any offers. I see him walking in the offseason if he does not want to bargain or negotiate. Unfortunately for him he will either retire greedy or take a pay cut. Danault really is not that good. Only reason we pay him what we do is because he is a home town boy. On any other team that does not mean squat and they pay you based on your performance. His performance is lackluster at best.

No one wanting him is a big part of the problem. This leaves management with the ultimate negotiation tactic and upper hand. He really has no leverage here to play with aside from his French name. He is not showcasing his talent, raising his game or even making a case this season. I am pretty sure at this point if we could have traded him for a bag of pucks we would have. No one is willing to even part with used pucks for a center who can't crack 25 of the current teams rosters. Some Hab fans will try to tell ya he is worth it because he is a great "Two way player" But he is not. Two way players win some games and score some goals. They win faceoffs. They also kill off penalties and help the goalie. Danault does none of this good. The Francophone say he is underrated. The Other fans say he is greatly overrated. If he had a English name he would be benched, traded to Ottawa for some museum tickets or in the minors.

Unless The Kraken are hard up and have some fresh new NHL money to throw at him, I really can't see any team paying that for Danault. Let alone Montreal. A name can only get ya so far. To put it in perspective the Habs management was claiming to keep him around because he is good mentor for the youth. Basically this guy got into a Plekanic scenario 10 years before Pleks did. We treat him like some old withered veteran who is only there to guide the youth. The guy is not even 28. That should tell ya something about his career. He is done like a burnt turkey on thanksgiving. No one wants a cut of that dry meat. Not even the dogs under the table.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It is a strange scenario. He wants more then they are willing to offer. Bergevin also shopped him around several times and didn't get any offers. I see him walking in the offseason if he does not want to bargain or negotiate. Unfortunately for him he will either retire greedy or take a pay cut. Danault really is not that good. Only reason we pay him what we do is because he is a home town boy. On any other team that does not mean squat and they pay you based on your performance. His performance is lackluster at best.

No one wanting him is a big part of the problem. This leaves management with the ultimate negotiation tactic and upper hand. He really has no leverage here to play with aside from his French name. He is not showcasing his talent, raising his game or even making a case this season. I am pretty sure at this point if we could have traded him for a bag of pucks we would have. No one is willing to even part with used pucks for a center who can't crack 25 of the current teams rosters. Some Hab fans will try to tell ya he is worth it because he is a great "Two way player" But he is not. Two way players win some games and score some goals. They win faceoffs. They also kill off penalties and help the goalie. Danault does none of this good. The Francophone say he is underrated. The Other fans say he is greatly overrated. If he had a English name he would be benched, traded to Ottawa for some museum tickets or in the minors.

Unless The Kraken are hard up and have some fresh new NHL money to throw at him, I really can't see any team paying that for Danault. Let alone Montreal. A name can only get ya so far. To put it in perspective the Habs management was claiming to keep him around because he is good mentor for the youth. Basically this guy got into a Plekanic scenario 10 years before Pleks did. We treat him like some old withered veteran who is only there to guide the youth. The guy is not even 28. That should tell ya something about his career. He is done like a burnt turkey on thanksgiving. No one wants a cut of that dry meat. Not even the dogs under the table.
Avs would gladly part with some lightly used pucks for Danault and offer him that $5m contract.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Colorado has like $24 million to sign 13 players, And Landeskog and Makar will eat more then half. There's noway Colorado can afford Phillip Danault without moving out other high priced players.
Avs can afford Danault at that caphit if they really want him. They'd just need to make sure that Seattle takes a $3m+ contract (i.e. one of Donskoi/Compher/Graves) and also trade or buy out Johnson. If they really want to squeeze capspace to cover things like bonus overages they could also bridge Makar or downgrade Graves to a cheaper 3rd pair Dman.

I don't consider this to be what Sakic will do, just pointing out that the Avs can afford Danault at a $5m if they really want him.

upload_2021-2-18_1-56-19.png

upload_2021-2-18_2-1-38.png

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
All bu
"I'll never trade (insert player name here), they're a big part of the team."

Max Pacioretty, Mikhail Sergachev, PK Subban, Alex Galchenyuk were each traded within as late as the month.
All but sergachev should have been dealt . Subban was a cancer . Pacs thought he was Jean beliveau, galchenyuk had other issues

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Probably some GM who would have projected the cap rise like estimated

2019-20 - 81.5M
2020-21 - 84M
2021-22 - 88M
2022-23 - 92M
2023-24 - 97M
2024-25 - 102M

7.1M is nothing against 88M and rising cap.

But corona changed everything. People just wont get it - the difference. Projected life/cap with/without corona.

7.1M against 102M cap is like 5.7M against 81.5M cap.
Show your math. What dumbass would project cap rise to 2025 when tv deal ends this year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Avs can afford Danault at that caphit if they really want him. They'd just need to make sure that Seattle takes a $3m+ contract (i.e. one of Donskoi/Compher/Graves) and also trade or buy out Johnson. If they really want to squeeze capspace to cover things like bonus overages they could also bridge Makar or downgrade Graves to a cheaper 3rd pair Dman.

I don't consider this to be what Sakic will do, just pointing out that the Avs can afford Danault at a $5m if they really want him.

View attachment 397432

View attachment 397435

Isn’t Danault’s whole deal he doesn’t want to be a 3C.?

Reactions: HotDish

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
We are talking about a league that signed
Neal 5-28.5.
Loui 6-36
Lucic 7-42
Skinner 8-72

Also free agents other than Hopkins looks thin at best for under 31 year old free agent centers.

GMs have learnt from their mistakes (big irony sign) :D

I doubt the rumours about him refusing more than 5m but that is true that some crazy GM desperate for a center could offer 7m

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He'll sign 2 year 3.5-4.0M per deal in the offseason when he realizes he needs the money and not many teams will give him what the habs were offering.

Offensively he is having a terrible year and it will impact his UFA contract.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
We are talking about a league that signed
Neal 5-28.5.
Loui 6-36
Lucic 7-42
Skinner 8-72

Also free agents other than Hopkins looks thin at best for under 31 year old free agent centers.
Neal and Lucic both played major roles on cup winning teams. Eriksson was coming off a 30 goal season and had multiple 70 point seasons under his belt. Skinner was coming off a 40 goal season. The reason these players got such lucrative contracts is their pedigree. Danault has done nothing in his career that would constitute giving him over 7 million dollars a year. Not saying that that would be a worse or better contract than those you listed

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
GMs have learnt from their mistakes (big irony sign) :D

I doubt the rumours about him refusing more than 5m but that is true that some crazy GM desperate for a center could offer 7m
Gms have learned not to pay wingers this past offseason. Centers I am curious what happens this upcoming off season. I am not saying it is the correct thing for Jets, Blue Jackets, etc. to get desperate and overpay. I am just not ruling it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad