Marian Hossa

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Would they have won the Stanley Cup without him? I would say that he put them over the top. What happened to the Blackhawks the year Torres knocked Hossa out of the playoffs? Did you watch that year as well?

So 2012 playoff Chicago, who had placed 6th in the West, lost only because Hossa was injured? Prior to the game he got injured, the series was tied 1-1. Sure, Phoenix placed 3rd because of winning their division, but their 97 points wasn't dwarfed by Chicago's 101. And the Yotes even won the regular season series 3-1. Hossa was also held pointless in the 3 games he played. Not exactly lighting it up. Sure, Hossa being there could have turned the series, especially since the first 5 games all went to OT, but that doesn't mean they would have won the Cup that year. One series does not equate to "putting them over the top," especially in a season where Chicago was nothing special. Once again, your argument is largely speculation.

Last edited:

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Mike Smith is the only reason the hawks didn't go past the 1st round that year not because Hossa got hurt. He was insane in that series and if you ask any hawks fan they will tell you they should have won that series easily if not for him. Crawford also was not good in that series at all. He let in a lot of bad goals and was horribly outplayed.

This. That series, and his mediocre play in it, is a big reason Crawford was so good in 2013. Learning experience.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
I loved Hossa and I was shocked when we traded him but I can't act like I didn't approve of the trade 100%. For the first 3 years everyone would say we won that trade.

I still wish things could have worked out with Heatley. I wish we knew wtf really happened. Maybe he wouldn't have fallen off as hard as he has if he had stayed with us and he and Spezza would still be playing together

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
So 2012 playoff Chicago, who had placed 6th in the West, lost only because Hossa was injured? Prior to the game he got injured, the series was tied 1-1. Sure, Phoenix placed 3rd because of winning their division, but their 97 points wasn't dwarfed by Chicago's 101. And the Yotes even won the regular season series 3-1. Hossa was also held pointless in the 3 games he played. Not exactly lighting it up. Sure, Hossa being there could have turned the series, especially since the first 5 games all went to OT, but that doesn't mean they would have won the Cup that year. One series does not equate to "putting them over the top," especially in a season where Chicago was nothing special. Once again, your argument is largely speculation.

Speculation is also saying that Ottawa would have won the Stanley Cup if Hasek didn't get hurt......Can't have it both ways guys

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Speculation is also saying that Ottawa would have won the Stanley Cup if Hasek didn't get hurt......Can't have it both ways guys

I have never said I thought a healthy Hasek guarantees us a Cup. Spez has. Though I do think a healthy Hasek would have been more likely to have a bigger impact on our 2006 playoff run than Marian Hossa, especially when Hossa being there would have meant no Heatley. A top tier goalie is usually far more important, especially come playoff time.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Well how you could you not say we wouldn't have won the cup when Carolina barely got by a beaten up Buffalo squad and an oilers squad that lost their starting goalie in game 1? Carolina was a good team that year but we were a lot better than them by a long shot with a healthy Hasek. Hell the oilers lost the series because of Roloson's injury and a horrible PP. In fact they ended up firing their PP coach, Craig Simpson, after they lost in game 7. Our pp was very lethal that year and was burying teams left and right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad