Marian Hossa

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I may get flamed for this but i honestly think he is the greatest player to ever wear a sens jersey. Unless he requested a trade or didnt want to resign trading him was a huge mistake. I dont care how many 50 goal seasons heatley had

Total opposite, actually. He wanted to stay here for his whole career, loved the city, and signed the deal with Muckler under the assumption that it was to stay in Ottawa long term.

Muckler then went and immediately flipped him for Heatley, as the Thrashers wouldn't make that trade unless Hossa was signed first. Muckler never told Hossa that the deal he was signing was essentially a sigh-and-trade.

Total snake-in-the-grass move by a slimeball GM. Muckler was a sleazy con man on that deal.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
he was an awesome.. awesome player for us. I was pretty disappointed the day he was traded. I would still consider him my favorite Sens player.

Sometimes I hope that maybe he would come back and sign with us for a year before calling it quits.. but then I think why would he? This place is toxic with the moronic media, the crazy owner, and the constant scrutiny of playing in a small town. I don't see why he would every leave Chicago.. great team and I swear they're always in the running to win it all.

Hell of a player that got screwed over by the organization. I'm happy the rest of his career has played out the way it did for him.. he's got to play on some truly great teams and win 2 Cups as well. Blackhawks fans love him and I'm sure he's really enjoying Chicago too

I'm cheering for him to win it all one more time before he retires..and it's a real possibility he does.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Total opposite, actually. He wanted to stay here for his whole career, loved the city, and signed the deal with Muckler under the assumption that it was to stay in Ottawa long term.

Muckler then went and immediately flipped him for Heatley, as the Thrashers wouldn't make that trade unless Hossa was signed first. Muckler never told Hossa that the deal he was signing was essentially a sigh-and-trade.

Total snake-in-the-grass move by a slimeball GM. Muckler was a sleazy con man on that deal.

Yeah, that was low, and the rumour is that's partly why Chara left since he and Hossa were close friends. I was torn on the trade because even though I loved Hossa we got a great player in Heatley. I knew Hossa was a more complete player, but Heater was a better shooter. I remember talking to a friend about it, and he said he though Heatley would be better in the playoffs for us than Hossa was. I guess that really didn't work out did it?

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

Very well put.....I know people that hung out with Hossa on a regular basis and they told me that Hossa was devastated by the trade.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
You got it all wrong Biancosaurus. We would have traded Alfie for Conroy :laugh:

John Holmes*

Other than hiring John Muckler outright, the Hossa trade is easily the "X factor" in the demise of the franchise.

Depending on what you believe of course, but the hamstringing of Hossa is where it all started going wrong in my opinion.

Trust in management gone. Chara walks out of spite. The Heatley fiasco.

Years of Bryan Murray mismanagement.

The team is a complete gong show.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
It's easy to bash Muckler but he was a healthy Hasek away from winning the franchise's first cup here and might have won a 2nd the following year as well. It just goes to show you that winning the cup does require some luck. There is a reason they say sometimes the best team doesn't win it and the best team that year didn't thanks to one major injury. Had we won the cup(s) the Pizza line and Hasek would have been two huge factors in that and Muckler would have had the title as Ottawa's best GM.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's easy to bash Muckler but he was a healthy Hasek away from winning the franchise's first cup here and might have won a 2nd the following year as well. It just goes to show you that winning the cup does require some luck. There is a reason they say sometimes the best team doesn't win it and the best team that year didn't thanks to one major injury. Had we won the cup(s) the Pizza line and Hasek would have been two huge factors in that and Muckler would have had the title as Ottawa's best GM.

true. but even when the trade went down hossa was no slouch in the scoring department.. could have easily scored 40 goals for several more years..he liked it here wanted to stay..just as good of a chance with him as with heatley.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Heatley had a higher peak than Hossa, however based on hindsight it's not a trade I'd make again. (1on1 comparison between the two and external factors.. Chara)

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Heatley had a higher peak than Hossa, however based on hindsight it's not a trade I'd make again. (1on1 comparison between the two and external factors.. Chara)

Higher peak......How so? Because he could shoot the puck? Hossa is and was a better player in every other category. Hossa was and still is a beast because of his work ethic which is something that Heatley never cared for.

John Holmes*

I suppose he is referring to goal scoring.

Hossa owns Heatley in every other category imaginable though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
heatley is the better scorer. Hossa is the better hockey player.. by far. was, is, and will be

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Its amazing how moving him completely altered this franchise. Hard to see Ottawa not being some Detroit lite version with a cup or 2 if hossa/chara stayed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Its amazing how moving him completely altered this franchise. Hard to see Ottawa not being some Detroit lite version with a cup or 2 if hossa/chara stayed.

With Hossa and chara and hasek I really don't think there's a question we win the 05 06 cup. Well obviously there's a question. I dono about beating that ducks team. But chara would have helped. And Hossa would have brought even more defensive conscience to the team. We also probably go a bit deeper the following years. Especially with chara taking care of a young Crosby.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
With Hossa and chara and hasek I really don't think there's a question we win the 05 06 cup. Well obviously there's a question. I dono about beating that ducks team. But chara would have helped. And Hossa would have brought even more defensive conscience to the team. We also probably go a bit deeper the following years. Especially with chara taking care of a young Crosby.

Those 2 leaving will always haunt us till this team wins a cup.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

That team was still essentially Pierre Gauthier & Marshall Johnston's team. Muckler barely lifted a finger, the core of that roster was 95% set for him before he got there, for the most part.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
This is nothing compared to the days when the diehards to endure the Daigle fiasco, Bruce Firestone, and the coaching carousel prior to Martin. At least this team has the potential to bounce back next season. Those old teams left you wondering if there was ever going to be light at the tunnel or if the franchise was always going to be terrible until it moved.

RadimBicanek

Mar 5, 2014
Canada
I remember the trade, thought it was a bit classless how it happened, but at least team was getting Heatley in return. But I think Hossa could've also gotten 50 goals with Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad