Marian Hossa has played his last game

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
how did you overcome your condition?

Just kind of grew out of it I guess. Used to be brutal in the folds of my skin, so under the knees, elbows, under the chin. Pretty much identical to the way Hossa described his in the article.

Anytime I wear gloves I usually get a flair up again but I just leave it the f*** alone, if you mess with it at all it mushrooms in no time. The one area that has it happened from a cut on my hand about a year and a half ago, it engulfed 3 fingers on my hand. People would ask how I burnt myself, it was pretty gnarly looking. Now it's just a tiny patch the size of a dime but it's been that way for like 6 months now.

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
The fact the condition only got worse when his yearly pay went down to 1 million a year is what still bothers some. Personally I think there is a connection between the two

personally, I think it's nothing but timing. I'm a Hawks fan, so take that for what it's worth. but as a normal human, I'd be done no matter how much I was making.

for a year he's eating six pills a day, going to the hospital every two weeks, and worrying about getting freaking cancer while having small children...is making more money really going to make you continue this path? how many more years can the body take that? it's not just physical, it's mental. personally, I'd be freaking out in my head every time I swallowed those pills, let alone looking at pus and blood on my sheets nightly. shit, can you imagine? omg, so brutal.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
3 Cups the right way > 3 Cups while circumventing the cap

You do know Sids contract is illegal too right? 3 cups without sketchy officiating being the story of the finals > 1 cup without sketchy officiating overshadowing the finals. Having a star player commit an action that is an automatic suspension not miss a game and have controversial goals taken away from an opponent in two of your 3 cups isnt the right way either...

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Precedent was set with Pronger. The NHL really had no intention of ever enforcing these cap "recapture" penalties. It was nothing but smoke and mirrors to make the rest of the NHL teams, that weren't smart enough to take advantage of backloading years on contracts, feel better....

Right, being able to place a player on LTIR for almost losing his right eye sets the precedent for the rest of these contracts

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
You do know Sids contract is illegal too right?
If Sidney Crosby retires rather than finishing out the back-diving years then you might have a point. Marian Hossa and the Hawks conspired to create a contract that he had no intention of ever finishing, dividing his AAV by a number of years that was completely fictitious from the very start. No amount of re-litigating 10 years of referee decisions is going to change the fact that the Blackhawks intentionally circumvented the cap.

How New Jersey gets punished while Detroit and Chicago skate is mysterious to me. They punished New Jersey before the shenanigans even happened, meanwhile we're just letting the other two violators off the hook in the very moment the crime is being committed.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If Sidney Crosby retires rather than finishing out the back-diving years then you might have a point. Marian Hossa and the Hawks conspired to create a contract that he had no intention of ever finishing, dividing his AAV by a number of years that was completely fictitious from the very start. No amount of re-litigating 10 years of referee decisions is going to change the fact that the Blackhawks intentionally circumvented the cap.

How New Jersey gets punished while Detroit and Chicago skate is mysterious to me. They punished New Jersey before the shenanigans even happened, meanwhile we're just letting the other two violators off the hook in the very moment the crime is being committed.

You miss the point that Sids contract lowers his AAV with the 3 extra years tacked on. Hossa had a 20 goal season prior to retiring he could have still played ffs he was openly bleeding due to his condition try getting a clue. Any team that had a contract past 8 years that saw significant front loaded salary while tacking on extra years with low salary circumvented the cap that includes your Pens. The only team to offer such a contract length that can take a high road are the Caps since Ovi's deal does not have tacked on low salary years to lower the cap hit unlike Sids.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The fact the condition only got worse when his yearly pay went down to 1 million a year is what still bothers some. Personally I think there is a connection between the two

It doesn’t have to have anything to do with the condition worsening. He just very well may have not wanted to be on a regiment of sketchy pills for 4 more years. Read the article.

Playing out his contract or just going on LTIR, he gets his $1M salary regardless.

These main board reactions are so petty and pathetic. Bitter fans who didn’t like the Hawks winning and/or bitter Devils fans who are mad that their 1st draft of a ridiculously obvious Kovalchuk contract (had him playing until he was 45) was shot down, and they were later fined for Kovalchuk bolting to Russia.

Ozx6.gif

Cry about it all you want. The Hawks and Hossa have their Cups, Hossa will 110% be in the Hall of Fame and there’s nothing your whiny conspiracy theories can do about it.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
No, if he retired he would not get any more money.

There's nothing fake about it.

No one is saying he is taking it. Observation has been made that when he was getting 5mill or more a year, he was willing to put up with it. But when his pay went down to 1 million? He was no longer willing to put up with it. The fact so many predicted it would happen the day he signed that contract also does not help

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
At this point, does it really matter if the story is made up or not? There is no way to know for sure unless Hossa puts on his gear in front of your eyes.

Even if it’s made up, i doubt Hossa realized all those years ago how the end would play out. Nobody thinks that far. And i bet he doesn’t feel great about it. Remember the Hawks thought they’d still be a good team in 17/18. Whether it would’ve been 100% his decision not to play, i question.

And if it’s not made up, then that’s obviously terrible for him.

I still remember his last season ending interview. I got the impression he still wanted to play. He looked positive and fresh. Not like a guy who is wondering if he’ll be back or not.

It’s a bummer guy like him didn’t get a proper farewell.

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
No one is saying he is taking it. Observation has been made that when he was getting 5mill or more a year, he was willing to put up with it. But when his pay went down to 1 million? He was no longer willing to put up with it. The fact so many predicted it would happen the day he signed that contract also does not help

This is silly though. Because conditions can worsen over time, effects of medication can become increasingly dangerous the longer you're on a certain steroid medications. What the point you're missing is, is that he was going to get his $1 million either way. Whether that's on LTIR or playing in the league. He had no reason to think the NHL wouldn't ok the LTIR- he had a documented history of the illness (with proof through multiple doctors/treatments) and precedent in the league with how they've handled LTIR for players who are done in all but official name. Why does the $$ change matter in that context? He was going to be paid- playing or not.

And the hand wringing on here about how much it helped that Hawks is just so unnecessary. They couldn't use his cap space in the offseason per the rules. They had to wait till the season started or risk basically zero cap flexibility throughout the year. That would have been the case every year, which is why they had to trade it. Hossa said in that very article he still enjoyed playing, he was coming off a 20 goal season. You look at the Hawks last 2 years - all their defensive issues especially- and try to tell me how they couldn't have used Marian Hossa.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You miss the point that Sids contract lowers his AAV with the 3 extra years tacked on. Hossa had a 20 goal season prior to retiring he could have still played ffs he was openly bleeding due to his condition try getting a clue. Any team that had a contract past 8 years that saw significant front loaded salary while tacking on extra years with low salary circumvented the cap that includes your Pens. The only team to offer such a contract length that can take a high road are the Caps since Ovi's deal does not have tacked on low salary years to lower the cap hit unlike Sids.
But that is perfectly legal, as long as he plays out his deal. It's just a front-heavy contract, one which is common and favored by athletes in other sports.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

So your arguments comes down to you being sure that Crosby will retire before his contract ends (only illegal then)? Do you know something we don't?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
So your arguments comes down to you being sure that Crosby will retire before his contract ends (only illegal then)? Do you know something we don't?

A contract like that is by definition cap circumvention whether he finishes it or not. Pit fans acting like gatekeepers on what is a circumventing contract or not is pretty pathetic. Crosby's and Hossa's contract circumvent the cap through low salary years added on to lower their initial cap hit. The only team to have a contract longer than 8 years and didnt make the last few years nothing years with low salary were the Caps with Ovi.

Reactions: AmericanDream

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Hossa didn’t play out his deal because his skin was bleeding and *****ng all over the place. It’s the literal exact reason why LTIR exists.

I believe some of us are trying to make the point, HE started suffering from it 6 years prior to his "last game" when he was making 7.9 mill year. He put up with it for 6 years. Fast forward 6 years and he can not longer put up with it. It just happens it was the same time his yearly income went down to 1 mill a year. The exact year many people predicted he would suffer a "career ending injury" prior to knowing that he had this ailment.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I believe some of us are trying to make the point, HE started suffering from it 6 years prior to his "last game" when he was making 7.9 mill year. He put up with it for 6 years. Fast forward 6 years and he can not longer put up with it. It just happens it was the same time his yearly income went down to 1 mill a year. The exact year many people predicted he would suffer a "career ending injury" prior to knowing that he had this ailment.

Right but where’s the conspiracy in that? It was no longer worth it to him. The guy was legitimately suffering with how uncomfortable his skin condition was. He decided that the money and the 6 questionable pills a day was no longer worth it to play hockey anymore.

Hossa was still a very good player and the Hawks have been absolute defensive trash with his absence. They get no benefit from his absence and I guarantee anyone and everyone in the Hawks FO, coaching staff, and players would love to have him back.

It’s within the rules that he doesn’t have to retire, but instead can “retire” to LTIR and still get his salary. That’s not a Blackhawks conspiracy, it’s a stipulation in the NHL’s CBA agreement with the NHLPA.

His illness is real. The circumstances for his LTIR placement are legitimate. The process for him remaining on LTIR is legal. This is again just petty whining.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007

So? This is what I say whenever an NFL player blows it. Ray Rice never got another job because he was old and trailing off, he wasn't worth the money & circus that would've come up. Same thing with Kaep, wasn't good enough to justify the inevitable circus. Kareem Hunt has another job already because he's young and talented enough to be worth it.

So take the player's POV. Maybe his condition was manageable enough for $7.9 but not for $1. So he gets to "retire" and not screw the team that helped him win 3 Cups. His decision, no rules broken. Fans of other teams don't like it? Too bad your team didn't take advantage.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
So? This is what I say whenever an NFL player blows it. Ray Rice never got another job because he was old and trailing off, he wasn't worth the money & circus that would've come up. Same thing with Kaep, wasn't good enough to justify the inevitable circus. Kareem Hunt has another job already because he's young and talented enough to be worth it.

So take the player's POV. Maybe his condition was manageable enough for $7.9 but not for $1. So he gets to "retire" and not screw the team that helped him win 3 Cups. His decision, no rules broken. Fans of other teams don't like it? Too bad your team didn't take advantage.

if he had walked away when making 7.9 a year--this is a none issue. But he didn't. So it is now an issue. He waited till he would have been on 1 mill a year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Glad to see Hossa is starting to feel better. Hopefully they find a cure one day. Thanks for the Cups, Hoss, pour yourself a cold one and put some aloe vera on that rash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad