Marian Hossa 500 goals watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Don't worry, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about anyway.

wow. I express an opinion, which I am entitled to, and you respond like that.

read the page here. I knew I'd take a lot of heat for what I posted but I stand by it. Ya he had a fabulous second half of his career and won some cups playing behind some fabulous players. in the first half of his career when he was counted on as a 1st liner, as a 1st line PP type player he didn't get it done. Ya he played hard. Ya he was a fan favourite. But he didn't get it done in Ottawa and we don't need to discuss his time in Atlanta. And Ottawa had strong teams in those days but our top guys in the playoffs didn't pull through. And in Hossa's case that probably led to his being traded.

so I have always questioned the merit of a guy being in the Hall when their only team success was as a secondary threat. Maybe if he had a case full of trophies I'd see it differently but he doesn't.

longevity can lead to great numbers and Hossa has great numbers no question. But in the prime of his career he didn't achieve.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

read the page here. I knew I'd take a lot of heat for what I posted but I stand by it. Ya he had a fabulous second half of his career and won some cups playing behind some fabulous players. in the first half of his career when he was counted on as a 1st liner, as a 1st line PP type player he didn't get it done. Ya he played hard. Ya he was a fan favourite. But he didn't get it done in Ottawa and we don't need to discuss his time in Atlanta. And Ottawa had strong teams in those days but our top guys in the playoffs didn't pull through. And in Hossa's case that probably led to his being traded.

so I have always questioned the merit of a guy being in the Hall when their only team success was as a secondary threat. Maybe if he had a case full of trophies I'd see it differently but he doesn't.

longevity can lead to great numbers and Hossa has great numbers no question. But in the prime of his career he didn't achieve.

You mean the part of his career when he played on crummy teams and put up well over PPG over 3 seasons and led the team to 1st in the division in 2006-07?

But really, tell us more...

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Hossa has been a great, great player for a long time. He plays the game extremely hard and is just a complete player. It was such a shame Ottawa got rid of him but at the same time I'm happy for all the success he has achieved since leaving Ottawa.

He will go down as one of the best on his generation, that's for sure.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You mean the part of his career when he played on crummy teams and put up well over PPG over 3 seasons and led the team to 1st in the division in 2006-07?

But really, tell us more...

ya that is the exact part of his career I am referring to. great offensive player in those days. great regular season numbers. great regular season success. great regular season team success. little in the way of playoff success. yep that's is the time frame I am referring to.

and popular sentiment, which I realize I am clearly on the wrong side of, aside.....John Muckler likely had the same thoughts that he wasn't going to win with Hossa as a front line player

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
didn't realize you had bolded my comment about Atlanta. reading on my phone. ya his time in Atlanta. 3 year 18 M contract was it ? to be a star player? 1 playoff series where they lost 4 straight.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
did some quick research, this is what Muckler had to say in a globe and mail article about that trade when it happened

"We let a good player go to Atlanta but I felt it was time for a change," Muckler said. "We had two runs at the Stanley Cup and in the last year we failed [in the first round] The reason we failed has to be looked at and rectified and that's what we've tried to do."

While Hossa has been one of Ottawa's most consistent and popular players, he has rarely been at his best during the postseason. During his career, Hossa has averaged 0.84 points a game during the regular season but just 0.66 during the playoffs.

It was a long time ago. Hossa was one of the best Senators at the time and one of the best in the league. No argument. But he was also towards the top of the list in terms on guys not getting ti done when it counts during his time in Ottawa.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

That comment was directed at that Flyers fan, not you. Sorry for any confusion.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
did some quick research, this is what Muckler had to say in a globe and mail article about that trade when it happened

"We let a good player go to Atlanta but I felt it was time for a change," Muckler said. "We had two runs at the Stanley Cup and in the last year we failed [in the first round] The reason we failed has to be looked at and rectified and that's what we've tried to do."

While Hossa has been one of Ottawa's most consistent and popular players, he has rarely been at his best during the postseason. During his career, Hossa has averaged 0.84 points a game during the regular season but just 0.66 during the playoffs.

It was a long time ago. Hossa was one of the best Senators at the time and one of the best in the league. No argument. But he was also towards the top of the list in terms on guys not getting ti done when it counts during his time in Ottawa.

Hossa got traded because he wanted more money than Alfie. Muckler told him no way Jose, but ended up giving him what he wanted. He traded him the same day, which was a slimeball move. Some think this is why Chara left the next year. He and Hossa are very close.

I have watched every single game in Sens playoff history, trust me when I tell you that Hossa was not the problem. His numbers in the playoffs weren't the greatest, but he always gave it his all. He is one of the best players the team has ever had.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
what I find funny besides the fact Hossa has 188 more goals then Alex O at the start--is that Alex O now has 26 more goals then Hossa

when he nets 500 that gets his name seriously considered for the hall of fame

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Muckler is the worst person to quote, he was terrible. As a season ticket holder who watched everyone of Hossa's games live, you unfortunately missed a great 2 way player.
Oh and the right side was Alfie, Hossa, Havlat and Neil in that order.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
ya that is the exact part of his career I am referring to. great offensive player in those days. great regular season numbers. great regular season success. great regular season team success. little in the way of playoff success. yep that's is the time frame I am referring to.

and popular sentiment, which I realize I am clearly on the wrong side of, aside.....John Muckler likely had the same thoughts that he wasn't going to win with Hossa as a front line player

Hossa is a guy you win with more then Heatley was or ever would have been. Heatley did make a super line though.

Hossa being at his peak when he was in Atlanta at 27,28 years old is just the luck of the draw. Going to probably the worst run franchise in the league. He got them to there only ever playoff appearance. And probably was the best peak player in Franchise history in his monster year there over any Kovalchuk or Heatley season. What he is supposed to will a garbage team to the Cup? Who is he? Gretzky

Your opinions are pretty ridiculous. You are welcome to them... But I think almost everyone else disagrees.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hossa was the most complete RW in the NHL for about 10 years.

When he was in Atlanta scoring 100 points, some people were saying he was the most complete player in the NHL. I have endless respect for Hossa and I guarantee Chicago doesn't win those cups without him (remember when Tallon wanted to sign Havlat instead?!)

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
How come those garbage teams Hossa played on were able to beat the Flyers in the playoffs without breaking a sweat?

Lol did I hurt your feelings with my comment that you interpreted incorrectly? It's ok to admit the Flyers have accomplished way more than Ottawa and will continue to do so. Not sure what this has to do with my team though?

Btw, Hossa only met the Flyers twice in the playoffs. ECF in 2008 and SCF in 2010 and I'd hardly call either of those wins without a sweat.

Anyway, I'm out of of here before the topic gets even more redirected by people who get their poor feelings hurt all the time.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Lol did I hurt your feelings with my comment that you interpreted incorrectly? It's ok to admit the Flyers have accomplished way more than Ottawa and will continue to do so. Not sure what this has to do with my team though?

Btw, Hossa only met the Flyers twice in the playoffs. ECF in 2008 and SCF in 2010 and I'd hardly call either of those wins without a sweat.

Anyway, I'm out of of here before the topic gets even more redirected by people who get their poor feelings hurt all the time.

I was referring to when he played with Ottawa and they beat the Flyers in 2002 and again in 2003.

As for the Flyers accomplishing more than Ottawa, sure, but they've had a team much longer. Since Ottawa came into the league, the Flyers have gone to the finals twice and Ottawa has done it once. The Flyers have a lot more money to spend on their roster though to be fair. If I were a Flyers fan, I wouldn't be bragging too much about what they've done in the last 25 years.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I don't understand what the problem is about being 3 or 4 on a great team. Jari Kurri comes to mind. He's in the Hall and in his time in Edmonton, he was always behind Gretzky and Messier and potentially Coffey.

Exactly. Brendan Shanahan was the 4th or 5th best player on the Wings cup winning teams, and no-one questions his HOF credentials because of it.

For all the talk of his two way play, I'll always remember him for his season in Detroit and the number of "soft" goals he scored. There was an interview with Osgood where he talked about how hard Hossa's shot was to read, because he held the stick in anunusual way (quite far down the shaft IIRC)

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
I don't understand what the problem is about being 3 or 4 on a great team. Jari Kurri comes to mind. He's in the Hall and in his time in Edmonton, he was always behind Gretzky and Messier and potentially Coffey.

sometimes players become overrated when they are a part of championship teams

some people actually think brent seabrook is a hall of famer

i think hossa is a hall of famer but brent seabrook? talk about benefitting from being on the right team

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Exactly. Brendan Shanahan was the 4th or 5th best player on the Wings cup winning teams, and no-one questions his HOF credentials because of it.

uhmmm....the stats Shanahan rang up durine his career are considerably more impressive.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
sometimes players become overrated when they are a part of championship teams

some people actually think brent seabrook is a hall of famer

i think hossa is a hall of famer but brent seabrook? talk about benefitting from being on the right team

Seabrook has had a very successful career. I don't think he is a top D ever. But he really has had a fabulous career. He just had his biggest points season and outscored Keith.. And was 4th on the Hawks in scoring.

He might not be a HHOFer...but he is putting up a pretty stellar resume so far to be at least in the realm of conversation.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
To me, he's a lock.

Some people say he's been to the Finals so many times because he's been on so many good teams, but IMO he's been a main reason those teams have made it to the Finals.

You know when a media guy says something like, "this player could put up 90 points but instead works hard defensively and settles for 60"? That's usually a load of crap but it might be true for Hossa; you probably will never see someone back-check harder/better.

500+ goals and probably 1200+ points while being close to PPG when he's done. Add at least 3 cups and 2 more Finals appearances. Elite defense is the cherry on top.

So again, he should be a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad