Marian Hossa 500 goals watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Figured I would bump this given we are a month away from season to remind people that Hossa is at 499 (also saw the 1k pt thread that made me think of this thread)

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Underrated player throughout his whole career.

how highly should he be rated?

all the great teams he played on, was he ever better than 3rd or 4th best on his own team?

2008 penguins - crosby, malkin, hossa

2009 wings - datsyuk, zetterberg, lidstrom, hossa

blackhawks - toews , kane, keith, hossa

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
how highly should he be rated?

all the great teams he played on, was he ever better than 3rd or 4th best on his own team?

2008 penguins - crosby, malkin, hossa

2009 wings - datsyuk, zetterberg, lidstrom, hossa

blackhawks - toews , kane, keith, hossa

this is exactly why I have never been too high on Hossa. He's had a long career, played a lot of games, scored a lot of points. But on the teams he's been on and had some success he's been a 3rd or 4th fiddle kind of guy. His time in Ottawa and Atlanta where he was a top end player, he never got it done.

He has HOF numbers no doubt but he accumulated most of that with the opposition more focused on those other big names you've listed

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
this is exactly why I have never been too high on Hossa. He's had a long career, played a lot of games, scored a lot of points. But on the teams he's been on and had some success he's been a 3rd or 4th fiddle kind of guy. His time in Ottawa and Atlanta where he was a top end player, he never got it done.

He has HOF numbers no doubt but he accumulated most of that with the opposition more focused on those other big names you've listed

Nonsense. You're knocking a future 1000pt, 500 goal, HoFer because he is/was not the best player on teams that had generatational, franchise, and other HoF players on it.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

More focus on the other big names? Not sure you realize that Hossa's is the guy that goes up against those big names. He's one of the greatest defensive players to never win a Selke imo. Maybe not in Ottawa, but by Pit/Det he was well on his way to being one of the best shut down guys on the world.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

So you're faulting him for never being able to carry a garbage team to the championship?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

This post is terrible, for so many reasons.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Nonsense. You're knocking a future 1000pt, 500 goal, HoFer because he is/was not the best player on teams that had generatational, franchise, and other HoF players on it.

Everyone in Ottawa still LOVES Hossa. Hossa isca great player all over the ice... From his rookie season until now.

I was lucky to be in the stands last year when Hossa got his 1000th point in a close game with Ottawa that Chicago won. What happened? Standing ovation.

I was unaware he was sitting on 499 goals. That is awesome because he is going to do it soon after the season starts...

I am going to predict. If he does it in an away game. And it isn't in Ottawa or Detroit or Pittsburgh... He still gets a standing ovation. Because he is THAT kinda player. That you can not help but respect and give credit to and like. Even in the opposition uniform.

Hossa is a near perfect player. At everything... His whole career.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
So you're faulting him for never being able to carry a garbage team to the championship?

i don't think alfredsson, chara, redden, havlat, young spezza, and a bunch of other guys (fisher, vermette, todd white, phillips, young a-train, schaefer, bonk, bondra, smolinski...) was a garbage team

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
i don't think alfredsson, chara, redden, havlat, young spezza, and a bunch of other guys (fisher, vermette, todd white, phillips, young a-train, schaefer, bonk, bondra, smolinski...) was a garbage team

Well, he cheers for the Flyers, so clearly he knows what a garbage team looks like.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

every full season hossa played for Ottawa, they made the playoffs. 3 division titles. Lead the team in scoring in both the regular season and playoffs en route to a game 7 conference final loss in 2003. This was a team that played Curtis Leschyshyn in all 18 of their playoff games. Alfredsson was a no-show that post season. only 8 points in 18 playoff games. Fisher with only 4 points. Hossa put that team on his back as a 24 year old and got them to within 1 win of a SCF.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
every full season hossa played for Ottawa, they made the playoffs. 3 division titles. Lead the team in scoring in both the regular season and playoffs en route to a game 7 conference final loss in 2003. This was a team that played Curtis Leschyshyn in all 18 of their playoff games. Alfredsson was a no-show that post season. only 8 points in 18 playoff games. Fisher with only 4 points. Hossa put that team on his back as a 24 year old and got them to within 1 win of a SCF.

Lol what are you picking on Curtis Leschyshyn for?

As for Hossa, I think what some people don't realize is that he has a great work ethic. They would look at his playoff numbers and say he didn't show up, but nothing could be further from the truth. He showed up and played hard in every playoff game as a Sen from what I can remember.

He was a tad snake bitten at times. He had 2 great chances to beat Brodeur in game 7 in 2003, and had two breakaways in game 2 against the Leafs in overtime in 2002 that would have put Ottawa up 2-0 in the series. Maybe he wasn't clutch back then, but he always showed up. He did not disappear in big games, that for sure.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

Try reading the original post I responded to again...

Well, he cheers for the Flyers, so clearly he knows what a garbage team looks like.

Hilarious coming from a Senators fan.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How come those garbage teams Hossa played on were able to beat the Flyers in the playoffs without breaking a sweat?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Try reading the original post I responded to again...

????

on the teams he's been on and had some success he's been a 3rd or 4th fiddle kind of guy. His time in Ottawa and Atlanta where he was a top end player, he never got it done.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand what the problem is about being 3 or 4 on a great team. Jari Kurri comes to mind. He's in the Hall and in his time in Edmonton, he was always behind Gretzky and Messier and potentially Coffey.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't understand what the problem is about being 3 or 4 on a great team. Jari Kurri comes to mind. He's in the Hall and in his time in Edmonton, he was always behind Gretzky and Messier and potentially Coffey.

Don't worry, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about anyway.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Kurri at times was the 2nd best Oiler. As was Coffey. As was Messier. Just saying Kurri was not always behind a younger Messier ot later Edmonton Coffey for the dynasty Oilers. Messier was inconsistent when younger.

And the same thing is true of Hossa. He was right on par with Malkin and Crosby in the playoffs for Pittsburgh in the finals run he had there. Might have been the best of the 3. Hossa was also at times the best Senator over Alfredsson or Chara or anyone else.

Hossa might have been the 3rd/4th/5th best player at times on great teams in Detroit and Chicago. But at some moments he was their best player. Led Detroit in goals.

People forget that Hossa's absolute peak were his last years in Ottawa and the often forgotten years in Atlanta. He was 29 years old in Pittsburgh for that short run. 30 in Detroit. 31 to start in Chicago. For Hossa to be a core player in Chicago all this time, but behind Kane, Toews and Keith is nothing to sneeze at for the second half of a career.

Hossa is always an invaluable player every game, even if his scoring is not at it's highest level.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Even a 37-year old Hossa with half the shot he used to have is still an invaluable piece to the Hawks. We still had a collective freak out on the Hawks board when he limped off the ice a few days ago at the WCoH.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Kurri at times was the 2nd best Oiler. As was Coffey. As was Messier. Just saying Kurri was not always behind a younger Messier ot later Edmonton Coffey for the dynasty Oilers. Messier was inconsistent when younger.

And the same thing is true of Hossa. He was right on par with Malkin and Crosby in the playoffs for Pittsburgh in the finals run he had there. Might have been the best of the 3. Hossa was also at times the best Senator over Alfredsson or Chara or anyone else.

Hossa might have been the 3rd/4th/5th best player at times on great teams in Detroit and Chicago. But at some moments he was their best player. Led Detroit in goals.

People forget that Hossa's absolute peak were his last years in Ottawa and the often forgotten years in Atlanta. He was 29 years old in Pittsburgh for that short run. 30 in Detroit. 31 to start in Chicago. For Hossa to be a core player in Chicago all this time, but behind Kane, Toews and Keith is nothing to sneeze at for the second half of a career.

Hossa is always an invaluable player every game, even if his scoring is not at it's highest level.

He also led the Hawks in scoring as a 33 year old in 11/12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00