Marian Hossa 500 goals watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
He's been my favorite player since I started watching hockey. I was so excited when he was traded to the Thrashers. I've yet to see a player I would rather model my game after if I were a young player. He's simply the best two-way forward of his generation. It's going to sting for me when he retires.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Still surprising me that some don't see Hossa as a HoF (look at threads relating to such as proof).

Elite talent who is great both offensively and defensively, seems to be a great teammate, and still productive despite his age.

I hope he gets it soon as it'll mean his game is on the up swing after a sluggish start.

Good luck Hoss!

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
He's been my favorite player since I started watching hockey. I was so excited when he was traded to the Thrashers. I've yet to see a player I would rather model my game after if I were a young player. He's simply the best two-way forward of his generation. It's going to sting for me when he retires.

My favorite player as well (hence the 18 in my username). Been a fan since his Ottawa days. Will be a sad day when he retires.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Are you saying it's not impressive that Ovechkin has gained almost 200 goals on an elite player in his era? Because that's pretty much what you're saying.

What? How do you get that? He's just saying they're different types of players. Which is 110% accurate

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Hossa doesn't enter the offensive zone with the mentality to shoot as many pucks as he can at the net. Hossa is an elite 2 way player that's good enough to score a lot of goals. Watch games instead of stat watching

How long have you been watching hockey? Because Hossa in the Eastern Conference was a one-dimensional offensive player on both Ottawa and then Atlanta especially. He didn't start playing legit 2-way hockey until he got to Detroit.

Gardener

Jun 17, 2015
Hossa is an all-time nhl top 20 player in shots attempted. what games are you watching? hossa has slipped physically but there is zero indication the shoot first and often mentality hes had all career is gone.

If that's true, how come his number of shots, goals and shooting percentage is virtually identical to Ovechkin's, and then there are those extra 150 assists?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Because while Hossa is one of the most prolific shooters in NHL history, Ovechkin is an even more prolific shooter than Hossa and has a chance of being #1 on the all time shots attempted list before he is done.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Wish I could go back in time and really appreciate those years man. Remember going to my first regular season game with my dad and seeing people with signs spelling H-O-S-S-A at one end of the rink. Great player.

What? How do you get that? He's just saying they're different types of players. Which is 110% accurate

Well I felt like he was reaching so I joined in! :hyper: :laugh:

I'll move on now...

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Sure he is. 5 30+goal seasons and 3 40+ goal seasons on top of that. If that doesn't make him a goal scorer, then I don't know what does. That's an amazing goal scoring career in today's hockey. Ovechkin's goal scoring is just out of this world, nobody compares to him in that regard. Anyway like he said he wasn't saying that to discredit M. Hossa.

You're forgetting about Lemieux and Bossy who both scored at a much higher rate around 75-76% of their games played compared to Ovechkin's 62.5%. Not a knock on Ovy if you consider the scoring in today's game probably brings him a bit closer to the other two and it's some seriously elite company, but I think it's a stretch to say nobody is near his level as a goal scorer. What Lemieux did with his raw talent and disregard for proper training regiments as well as injuries will never happen again. With that said, this is a thread about Hossa and I'm quite happy for him and his impending achievement.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
You're forgetting about Lemieux and Bossy who both scored at a much higher rate around 75-76% of their games played compared to Ovechkin's 62.5%. Not a knock on Ovy if you consider the scoring in today's game probably brings him a bit closer to the other two and it's some seriously elite company, but I think it's a stretch to say nobody is near his level as a goal scorer. What Lemieux did with his raw talent and disregard for proper training regiments as well as injuries will never happen again. With that said, this is a thread about Hossa and I'm quite happy for him and his impending achievement.

I meant his contemporaries. Otherwise I agree, Lemieux over Ovechkin. Bossy, no. IMHO of course.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Always loved Hossa...

Watching Hossa, Savard, Kovy etc in ATL was always a treat....Shame that they got broken up...even if Boston wound up with Savard and got a few good years out of him.

Can't wait to see Hossa hit 500.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hossa is a consummate professional. Hawks (and the NHL) are lucky to have someone like him.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
Hossa still gives more effort on the backcheck at 37 than many players 10-15 years younger than him

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How long have you been watching hockey? Because Hossa in the Eastern Conference was a one-dimensional offensive player on both Ottawa and then Atlanta especially. He didn't start playing legit 2-way hockey until he got to Detroit.

Wrong. He played great two way hockey in Ottawa because Jacques Martin was his coach here the whole time and he demands strong defensive play from forwards. The knock on Hossa when he was drafted was that he was not a good defensive player. He became one in Ottawa and has been one of the top two way forwards in the league for the last 15 years.

Hawks And More Hawks

Mar 4, 2016

You and me both, brother. Always admired his game and when he became a Hawk...man...just so happy. Just so good without the puck. So smart. If we could clone him...we would. Actually, when he took Saad under his wing, we thought we were golden. Yeah...that didn't work out too well...

I've always thought that at NHL drafts and someone is called a "two-way forward"...they should be shown video of Hossa and be told "Yeah...be that. Exactly that..."

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I just started playing hockey again the last couple of years after playing it most of my life. Ive always noticed Hossa out there on the ice but I started really watching him when I picked hockey back up, and have attempted to model my beer league game after Hossa's. He is one of the most under rated players in the league in terms of his two way ability. Ferocious back checker. I've really learned a lot from watching him , and my game has gotten a lot better because of it .

Hope he hits 500 soon.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's 2 away, wonder if he'll get it this year. Whatever the case he's a great player for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad