Confirmed with Link: Marek Zidlicky to Detroit for a 3rd

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Don't you think, you overreact a little bit right there?

Every year this team and it's fans have an excuse why the team didn't go deep in playoffs. This year they have no excuse, none whatsoever.

I was proud of what Red Wings accomplished against Chicago a few years back and think they could have went further had Dekeyser been healthy. Fans and Babcock have been vocal about wanting top 4/6 players... well now they have it. No excuses this year. Everyone should be held accountable if they don't make the SCFs at the very least. Nobody is immune and should be evaluated on their future with the Detroit Red Wings. Babcock should be first on the chopping block. Next Zetterberg and Datsyuk should be looked to be traded and Holland should start a brand new chapter here in HockeyTown.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
There is no way in hell we'd get 2 or 3 first rounders AND top prospects for each player. Yandle went for a top prospect and a 1st rounder, and he's much younger than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Yes, D and Z are better, but they won't be fetching top price as 35+ year old vets that might only play a couple more seasons.

Couple things:

Yandle's stock has lessened since Yzerman's kind words about him (through Mickey Redmond) a few years back.

DRW doesn't trade their greats... they're allowed to retire.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
OMG, am I beating a dead horse or what? Nobody is talking about 2015, but rather 2017/18 and beyond.

Bottom line, these trades makes for NO EXCUSES if Wings get bounced. Players and personal should be held accountable and BIG changes should be made if the team fails this post-season, nobody is safe! And anything less than a SCF is a HUGE FAIL.

I remember not long ago Zetterberg I think was grumbling something about the team needed more top name players to help. I can't remember the exact quote.

Then you have Babcock being annoying about a RH PMD and a top 6 forward. Well they got their wish... and now they need to win the cup or BUST. It's that simple. If Wings don't win the cup after wasting the picks they did, then it's BUST, pure and simple. And people should be held 100% accountable and lose their jobs!

Wings have NO EXCUSES anymore. This is a MUST WIN NOW season, if not, fire everybody and blow up the team.

Babcock and Zetterberg got what they want, so they better hope to god they perform. This **** falls on them if they fail.
Pretty reasonable

:sarcasm:

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
Every year this team and it's fans have an excuse why the team didn't go deep in playoffs. This year they have no excuse, none whatsoever.

I was proud of what Red Wings accomplished against Chicago a few years back and think they could have went further had Dekeyser been healthy. Fans and Babcock have been vocal about wanting top 4/6 players... well now they have it. No excuses this year. Everyone should be held accountable if they don't make the SCFs at the very least. Nobody is immune and should be evaluated on their future with the Detroit Red Wings. Babcock should be first on the chopping block. Next Zetterberg and Datsyuk should be looked to be traded and Holland should start a brand new chapter here in HockeyTown.

I mean you might be able to argue that since the core (Z, Dats, Kronner) are two or three years older they just missed out in their window. Had they had this roster against Chicago I doubt it makes it past game 6.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Couple things:

Yandle's stock has lessened since Yzerman's kind words about him (through Mickey Redmond) a few years back.

DRW doesn't trade their greats... they're allowed to retire.

They don't trade their greats, I agree. That's a good thing. But if Thornton was traded today, he wouldn't get 2 1st rounders plus top prospects. That's like saying we'd give up 2015 1st + 2016 1st + Mantha + Tatar for Thornton. And we wouldn't. So it's definitely not going to help us to trade D and Z cause they won't bring back something that will offset what we're losing by giving them up.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Yeah, that's not how running a hockey team works.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Next Zetterberg and Datsyuk should be looked to be traded and Holland should start a brand new chapter here in HockeyTown.

Ok. So a few posts up you were an advocate of firing everybody, but you think we should let Holland run this rebuild, even though he's been rebuilding since 2010?

Brandel*

Dotter is ruining this thread, all those posts between him and others should be removed, so OT and annoying to go through.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Again, read the post one more time.

I didn't quote someone else; I based my opinion on what I saw, and posted it after my own view.

You quote someone else... and miss the most important parts.

What important parts is he missing?

Puck movers are a valuable asset.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yeah, that's not how running a hockey team works.

How do you know what it takes to run a hockey team? I doubt your credentials are any greater than mine.

It's not like Holland isn't known to shake up the team or fire people after they proven to be fail. At some point failing is no longer acceptable anymore. I think (hopeful) this is Holland's last graceful push before his patience ends. I think (hope) he's pushing the team to win it all or GTFO.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
They don't trade their greats, I agree. That's a good thing. But if Thornton was traded today, he wouldn't get 2 1st rounders plus top prospects. That's like saying we'd give up 2015 1st + 2016 1st + Mantha + Tatar for Thornton. And we wouldn't. So it's definitely not going to help us to trade D and Z cause they won't bring back something that will offset what we're losing by giving them up.

I'm agreeing with you, actually.

And my point on Yandle is I believe they paid too much; typical for that team.

I still laugh about the time they paid mega bucks for Quintal (from memory), and the guy turns around a gives a press conference about how much he loved playing for the Habs.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Ok. So a few posts up you were an advocate of firing everybody, but you think we should let Holland run this rebuild, even though he's been rebuilding since 2010?

After thinking it through, I think he [Holland] folded under pressure but (hopefully) made it clear no excuses and nobody's job is safe after this. So these guys need to play like their jobs (and reputation) is on the line.

That's what I'm hoping anyhow. I want this team to blow up and heads roll if they don't make the SCF.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
What important parts is he missing?

Puck movers are a valuable asset.

Forgot: moving the puck is a skill ALL Dmen should possess.

A "puck-moving" Dman is code for someone who doesn't handle the puck well in his own zone.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Zid is going to be fine with you guys. You NEED to stick him with a conservative type guy (defensive Dman) and just let him do his thing. He is creative, he does do stuff in the offensive zone which makes you wonder whether or not hes a forward. Defensively he isnt great, not terrible though. Takes alot of stupid penalties though which is frustrating.

Overall his value was brought down because he didnt want to leave NJ.Lou needed to convince him to go, and he only wanted to go to a contender. He has family here, and his kids just started school here. He will 95% be re-signing with us come July 1st. (His wife/Kids have stayed behind in NJ and want to stay here basically)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Let me help: if you move the puck to your opponent, that's not a good thing.

No matter who you get as a puck mover, that will always be a risk that comes with the type of play.

Forgot: moving the puck is a skill ALL Dmen should possess.

A "puck-moving" Dman is code for someone who doesn't handle the puck well in his own zone.

You are completely wrong on your second sentence. Nobody uses that terminology to call out a defenseman for being poor in their own zone. Was Lidstrom not a "puck-moving" defenseman in your opinion?

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
After thinking it through, I think he [Holland] folded under pressure but (hopefully) made it clear no excuses and nobody's job is safe after this. So these guys need to play like their jobs (and reputation) is on the line.

That's what I'm hoping anyhow. I want this team to blow up and heads roll if they don't make the SCF.

Let's hear your proposed path to success after having blown this team up in it's current form.

I'm serious.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
No matter who you get as a puck mover, that will always be a risk that comes with the type of play.

You are completely wrong on your second sentence. Nobody uses that terminology to call out a defenseman for being poor in their own zone. Was Lidstrom not a "puck-moving" defenseman in your opinion?

Point 1: I went on-record as being in favor of this move; but only as a rental. Lidstrom... he ain't.

Point 2: If you believe that ALL NHL Dmen do not need the ability to "puck-move".... frankly, I don't know what to say.

EDIT: I don't recall Lid's ever being called a "puck-moving" Dman. Could it be because he was a solid, 2-way Dman?

Aug 6, 2012
Zid is going to be fine with you guys. You NEED to stick him with a conservative type guy (defensive Dman) and just let him do his thing. He is creative, he does do stuff in the offensive zone which makes you wonder whether or not hes a forward. Defensively he isnt great, not terrible though. Takes alot of stupid penalties though which is frustrating.

Overall his value was brought down because he didnt want to leave NJ.Lou needed to convince him to go, and he only wanted to go to a contender. He has family here, and his kids just started school here. He will 95% be re-signing with us come July 1st. (His wife/Kids have stayed behind in NJ and want to stay here basically)

Thanks for the post. We need some more risk takers on our backend, especially one that is right-handed. I think he'll fit in wonderfully here.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Thanks for the post. We need some more risk takers on our backend, especially one that is right-handed. I think he'll fit in wonderfully here.

I liked the post, too, and I'm thinking that the Wings will have a talk with Zids about what's acceptable as to risks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad