Confirmed with Link: Marek Zidlicky to Detroit for a 3rd

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Quick aside:

I believe the "gamer" the Mick spoke about was Bob McGill (I looked it up), who we acquired in 1992, before we realized that fighting and winning was not synonymous.

NEVER will forget Mickey's comments that night McGill debuted.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I don't like the idea of having two defensively questionable players on the same pairing.

I'm thinking Kronner & Zids... and mostly PP time for the latter, come Wednesday.

EDIT to expand on this: size is what enables Zid's opponents to intimidate him, as Zids is only 5'10. Kronner has the speed and toughness to help.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I'm thinking Kronner & Zids... and mostly PP time for the latter, come Wednesday.

I'm not even sure if Zidlicky should play top pairing minutes either. I think he should be in the bottom 4 with a solid defensive defenseman like DeKeyser or Quincey. Time will tell though, haven't even seen him play a game yet.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I'm not even sure if Zidlicky should play top pairing minutes either. I think he should be in the bottom 4 with a solid defensive defenseman like DeKeyser or Quincey. Time will tell though, haven't even seen him play a game yet.

Agreed. But he's got to be retrained somewhat to fit our system, hence why I'm thinking Kronner as a pairing.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

More on this:

You guys remember the Mironov trade? First thing Dimitri did was to tell the Wings trainer (Wharton, at that time) that he wouldn't be participating in our exercise drills; he had his own "superior" system.

So the Wings thought, okay, let's see what he's got in practice. After being unable to keep up, Mironov was told that his "superior" training was not acceptable; he would be required to train with the team.

Redmond said that Mironov openly refused, leading to several shouting matches in the dressing room, embarrassing the remaining 4 of the Russian 5.

Zids wanted to come here, so hopefully, we don't go through anything like we did with Moronov.

But I think his training is suspect (compared to ours), so that alone may mean limited minutes.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the more I think about this trade the higher I am on it

it just hit me that the draft pick in this trade isn't even this year :laugh:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

It's like adding a fish to a new aquarium: you don't just dump them in, they could die from shock. So you probably baby him a bit on the third pairing and give him a shift or two on the second power play unit when DeKeyser could use a rest. Just let him get acquainted and gain some confidence.

Eventually he should work his way onto the second pairing. When you look at how New Jersey used him he generally got easier match-ups than Greene or Larsson. I am most interested to see if he can do better QBing the second power play than DeKeyser has done thus far. Zidlicky was on the top unit in New Jersey but I can't see him challenging Kronwall for that top spot unless our PP just goes ice cold.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Again, read the post one more time.

I didn't quote someone else; I based my opinion on what I saw, and posted it after my own view.

You quote someone else... and miss the most important parts.

What did I miss? The part where you said "The primary duty of a Dman... is to play solid D." Had you actually taken the time to read past the first sentence of Sutter's quote, you would have noticed that at least one, relatively successful NHL coach thinks that traditional norms of defense are overrated in the contemporary NHL game. Hell, many would argue that turning over the puck is an issue that is separate and distinct from actual defensive play.

As someone who has watched every Wings game since 1990, you should know that our primary areas of concern in terms of defensive zone turnovers are Smith, Ericsson and Quincey. Furthermore, you must understand the importance Holland and Babcock place on defensive zone puck retrieval and movement up the ice. Holland has discussed these concepts multiple times during in-game interviews. Again, the quicker you move the puck out of your own zone, the less defense you need to play.

We don't need a Norris performance out of Zidlicky and we don't need a 10-year mainstay. We just need him to play better than some of what we currently have. Again, color me optimistic, especially when it comes to his ability to pass the puck.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
More on this:

You guys remember the Mironov trade? First thing Dimitri did was to tell the Wings trainer (Wharton, at that time) that he wouldn't be participating in our exercise drills; he had his own "superior" system.

So the Wings thought, okay, let's see what he's got in practice. After being unable to keep up, Mironov was told that his "superior" training was not acceptable; he would be required to train with the team.

Redmond said that Mironov openly refused, leading to several shouting matches in the dressing room, embarrassing the remaining 4 of the Russian 5.

Zids wanted to come here, so hopefully, we don't go through anything like we did with Moronov.

But I think his training is suspect (compared to ours), so that alone may mean limited minutes.
What reason do we have to believe that Zidlicky is out of shape? Lou Lamoriello wouldn't let that garbage happen in NJ. He runs a tighter ship than anybody else in the league, really.

kiwidevil

This is a great move for you guys. Zids is very underrated, mainly because he is old.

But he will have just as much, if not more positive impact than Yandle etc at a tenth the cost.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Holland and the Wings deserve a lot of credit for running a classy organization that other players want to play for. We got a good player for pennies because of it.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Holland and the Wings deserve a lot of credit for running a classy organization that other players want to play for. We got a good player for pennies because of it.

While i'm sure that's part of it, it seems Detroit was the furthest most east of the teams Lou had acceptable offers from.

Marek plans on keeping his family in NJ, his wife loves it and his kids love the schools.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The Detroit river is literally just outside JLA. :naughty:

Yes! Let him sleep with the fishes :naughty:

simon-garfunkel-4.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad