Player Discussion Marco Scandella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Sick move on Jones.

I also give some credit to Yeo for loosening up on the reins a bit and letting the D join the rush and generally trusting the D's judgement on when and when not to take risks.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He had a seriously impressive game last night against Denver last night. I also think he's partially responsible for Dumba's rebound.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
ymK6GvO.png

Didn't realize he has this good advanced stats.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah Scandella is a great all-around defenseman. That HERO chart doesn't surprise me at all. Very underrated, and as I've said before, if Suter went down with injury, Scandella is the only defenseman we have that I would be comfortable with giving his minutes to.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's awesome. If you like that you should look at Dumba's HERO chart.

Just looked it up after you said something. Yeah, he's definitely a piece we need to hang on to. Comparing his chart to Brodin, it's not even a debate.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah Scandella is a great all-around defenseman. That HERO chart doesn't surprise me at all. Very underrated, and as I've said before, if Suter went down with injury, Scandella is the only defenseman we have that I would be comfortable with giving his minutes to.
Same. I'd even argue Scandella is a better overall dman right now.
Just looked it up after you said something. Yeah, he's definitely a piece we need to hang on to. Comparing his chart to Brodin, it's not even a debate.

Exactly. I'm curious to see how he does with likely being paired with Suter now... God, what does our defense look like?

Suter-Dumba
Scandella-Folin
Reilly-Prosser

????

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I wonder what it would take to convince Yeo/Brunno that a guy with a big slapper on the PP is a good thing? Imagine Dumba or Scandella on the 1st PP unit instead of Pominville the last 20-30 games... How many more goals? How many more points in the Standings?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder what it would take to convince Yeo/Brunno that a guy with a big slapper on the PP is a good thing? Imagine Dumba or Scandella on the 1st PP unit instead of Pominville the last 20-30 games... How many more goals? How many more points in the Standings?

I would argue that ANY of our D except Prosser would be an inprovement over Pominville. That includes Folin, Reilly, and Brodin. I think it's also pretty clear that Parise isn't the answer on the right point.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would argue that ANY of our D except Prosser would be an inprovement over Pominville. That includes Folin, Reilly, and Brodin. I think it's also pretty clear that Parise isn't the answer on the right point.

Power play:
Up top: Suter
Near side boards: Dumba
Far side boards: Reilly
Net front: Parise
All around: Koivu

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Power play:
Up top: Suter
Near side boards: Dumba
Far side boards: Reilly
Net front: Parise
All around: Koivu

IMO:

Scandella
Koivu- -Dumba

Coyle-Parise

EDIT: Ok so the formatting I was trying to go for didn't work when I posted, but you can see the idea. I loved when Scandella and Dumba were running the points last game. Put Koivu opposite dumba for cross ice one timers, put Parise and Coyle rotating around in front of the net/below the net for rebounds or deflections or anything.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
IMO:

Scandella
Koivu- -Dumba

Coyle-Parise

EDIT: Ok so the formatting I was trying to go for didn't work when I posted, but you can see the idea. I loved when Scandella and Dumba were running the points last game. Put Koivu opposite dumba for cross ice one timers, put Parise and Coyle rotating around in front of the net/below the net for rebounds or deflections or anything.

I can see what you're going for when I quoted you.

I absolutely think Scandella should be where Suter is, let someone with a powerful shot take it from the point, which is what you can do with Dumba and Scandella back there.

On the other powerplay unit, I think we should have Vanek doing a lot of the playmaking down low and possibly behind the net. Vanek seems to really be able to get the puck into dangerous scoring areas when he's got the puck behind the net on the powerplay.

Slick Willy*

Just watched Scandella's 'Becoming Wild'. It's cool he sounds so flawlessly fluent in English when it isn't even his first language. I always thought he had an Italian surname but found it odd he was from French Canada.

As far as seasons being better than others, I don't know, all the episodes have been good to me, no matter what year they filmed them.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just watched Scandella's 'Becoming Wild'. It's cool he sounds so flawlessly fluent in English when it isn't even his first language. I always thought he had an Italian surname but found it odd he was from French Canada.

As far as seasons being better than others, I don't know, all the episodes have been good to me, no matter what year they filmed them.

He lives in a part of Montreal with a pretty large Italian population I think.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scandella is from an inner ring suburb ( not like Edina, etc... It's very urban) called NDG( Notre Dame De Grace) in Montreal. I'm guessing he speaks fluent French, English, maybe Italian. NDG used to be mainly English speaking, but is quite a mix these days. While there are there some Italians, it's certainly not a Little Italy. My brother lives a few blocks away, and I believe Doug Harvey, the Canadiens great, also grew up and played at the same outdoor rink that Scandella played at. His uncle, Sergio Momesso, also played for the Canadiens.

Montreal is an old city, and pretty complex. It is not just a clump of French speaking people, or Québécois, as they like to describe themselves.

Last edited:

Slick Willy*

He says in his 'Becoming Wild' that he only speaks Italian at home with his father, so he is fluent in Italian.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He says in his 'Becoming Wild' that he only speaks Italian at home with his father, so he is fluent in Italian.

His father lived in Italy for a good part of his life before moving to Canada so that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad