Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Went from a bust to a 'beaut.

#3/4 two-way defenseman.

287iu6o.jpg

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
He's a beast. I actually think he is our 2nd best defenseman right now.

Last edited:

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
He had a hell of a run in the playoffs. This guy has a lot of potential I think he will be in our second pairing for a long time.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
He's playing damn good is what he's doing. Very nice turnaround for him in the last couple of years.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He has size, mobility, and has gotten better at eliminating the gaffes(though there is still room for improvement).

He will be a second pairing staple for years.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Found his game, stepped up the big in the playoffs the past two seasons, still young. Ya he's a keeper!

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Anyone wish he got a shot at some PP time? He has a cannon of a shot.

Eh. They've got a few more players that are a tad more deserving of more significant PP time. I don't think he handles the puck well enough to really fully trust him. I have the same concerns with Folin. Big shot, but I think you're going to have a hard time feeling comfortable using these guys.

All in all sound season and GREAT playoffs from Scandella. He still had his moments here and there but the good far outweighed the bad. And he's still young enough where he could conceivably take another jump...

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Just needs to shoot more. Love having him on this team. Considering a lot of folks here (including myself) thought he was going to be AHL career bound with his play last season before the playoffs.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
2008: major reach in the second round.

2009-10: played great and looked like a stud, future top four defenseman.

2011-13: up and down play, maybe a 6/7 NHL defenseman.

2013-14: good play overall, steadily improved through the year, played well in the playoffs. Seems like a good second pairing defenseman.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
2008: major reach in the second round.

2009-10: played great and looked like a stud, future top four defenseman.

2011-13: up and down play, maybe a 6/7 NHL defenseman.

2013-14: good play overall, steadily improved through the year, played well in the playoffs. Seems like a good second pairing defenseman.
It's this satire?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Scandella's projections and development path has been very consistent throughout his young career.

He wasn't a draft reach. Prior to being drafted, he played for Team Canada at the U18 World Juniors. He then had 4 strong years of development, bringing him the NHL. His "down" year, was 11/12, which just happens to be the year the entire team was imploding in horrific fashion. Then Fletcher wisely brought him back to the AHL for some stability, and he's been great since being called up last spring.

The only thing that has changed his people's perspections of him because (1) he didn't have much of any points during his draft year and (2) people unreasonably expected a 22-year old Dman to stabilize a Wild ship that was heading straight for the bottom of the hockey ocean.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hes a decent 5/6, i had higher hopes after his first year. we still need an upgrade on #4 D man. maybe folin, dumba, olofsson free agent future pick but i dont see scandella getting much better.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
No, it's the general attitude of Wild fans following the prospect development. Went from a nobody to a high prospect to a questionable prospect back up to a good NHL'er.
I agree 100% that was the general attitude. That's why I thought it was satire.

I've never seen a guy with a more consistent upward development, and yet hear such divergent, overreactions from fans.

I think people didn't know how to view the blueline after Skoula and Barker would gone.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
They say you can't really judge a defenseman until he turns 23, and for Scandy that was kind of this year (23 turning 24).

Like most Wild prospects, I think he would have benefited from playing in the minors more consistently before hitting the NHL.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
hes a decent 5/6, i had higher hopes after his first year. we still need an upgrade on #4 D man. maybe folin, dumba, olofsson free agent future pick but i dont see scandella getting much better.

Umm, what? Based on his play this year, he would be a solid top 4 on nearly every team in the league; with a select few obvious exceptions.

I swear the previous regime has destroyed so much faith in young players, that even when they are actually good it's difficult for some people to acknowledge.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Figure I'd bump this, maybe talk about his impending RFA status.

I'm thinking I'd try to get a 4 year deal out of him. It would eat 2 UFA years (he'd be 29 at the end) and continue the method of staggering expiring years with the young players. Although I'm not sure what the $'s would have to be to get to 4 years. Would $3.25 per be enough? That's more than 3x what he's making now.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think 4-years at $3 million/year is to be expected. After this year, he'll be an established top-4 Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad