Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I think a special thanks needs to go out to the Buffalo Sabres. We salute you.
Thought I’d hop over here from the Sabres board. You guys got a steal with Rossi at #9. I like our pick of Quinn on the wing because with Eichel, Staal and Cozens we are probably ok at centre for a couple of years. The one thing that worries me on skipping on Rossi is his drive to improve. That attitude could lead to him being a stud in the NHL.

The general feeling on our boards was definitely to take Rossi at #8

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You should obviously try to find advantageous spots for a player/line like that, but you can't chase matchups to the point that your 1st line ends up with 12 minutes on the night because there were a lot of faceoffs in your end.

Ha, fair enough. Its a text based website and you didn't have the 6-8 beers with me to that would explain the exaggeration, But yes, you obviously can't never let them see a D zone.

But I'd run those three together with like 65% o zone starts, chasing matchups as best you can and just let them loose. Geek like can do heavy lifting. Evason has to earn his paycheck somehow.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Ha, fair enough. Its a text based website and you didn't have the 6-8 beers with me to that would explain the exaggeration, But yes, you obviously can't never let them see a D zone.

But I'd run those three together with like 65% o zone starts, chasing matchups as best you can and just let them loose. Geek like can do heavy lifting. Evason has to earn his paycheck somehow.
Respect that you don’t know exactly how many drinks you’ve had

Reactions: Bazeek

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Eventually...I just think it would be too much too soon.

I'm fine with Kap and Rossi staying together getting sheltered together, but Fiala is not a player we should be sheltering at all.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
My expert analysis.

Strengths: He is from a non-traditional country and highly ranked, that means he is a stud and is undervalued, surefire star.
Weaknesses: His last name is Rossi, too simple and clean for a tier 1 star and that increases his bust potential.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Kaprizov-Rossi-Fiala
Foligno-Jee-Kunin
Parise-Johannson/Bjugstad-Zuccarello
Greenway-Strum/Bjugstad-Hartman

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
My expert analysis.

Strengths: He is from a non-traditional country and highly ranked, that means he is a stud and is undervalued, surefire star.
Weaknesses: His last name is Rossi, too simple and clean for a tier 1 star and that increases his bust potential.

Reminds of a former Pens 1st round pick named Angelo Esposito who turned out to be a bust. Name was too good to be true.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Eventually...I just think it would be too much too soon.

I'm fine with Kap and Rossi staying together getting sheltered together, but Fiala is not a player we should be sheltering at all.
I mean, I'm probably in the let's compete mode as much as Leopold. 100% against the tank.

I said shelter, but that's not the right term. Put them in scoring situations.

We have been, and still are deep compared to other teams. 4 lines that are 2nd /3rd line quality. Our coaches have tended to just run 4 lines unless we're playing like MacKinnon or McDavid due to their speed, because of that.

Lets stop that noise, and run those 3 in offensive situations is the point I'm trying and failing to make.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Kaprizov-Rossi-Fiala
Foligno-Jee-Kunin
Parise-Johannson/Bjugstad-Zuccarello
Greenway-Strum/Bjugstad-Hartman
Zuccarello - Johansson - Fiala
Kaprizov - Rossi - Kunin/Greenway
Parise - JEE - Kunin/Greenway
Foligno - Sturm/Bjugstad - Hartman

I mean, I'm probably in the let's compete mode as much as Leopold. 100% against the tank.

I said shelter, but that's not the right term. Put them in scoring situations.

We have been, and still are deep compared to other teams. 4 lines that are 2nd /3rd line quality. Our coaches have tended to just run 4 lines unless we're playing like MacKinnon or McDavid due to their speed, because of that.

Lets stop that noise, and run those 3 in offensive situations is the point I'm trying and failing to make.
You may not mean sheltered, but I do. Rossi will need to be sheltered early. Kap may need it early as well. Too steep of a learning curve jumping to the NHL.

I'm also in favor of winning now, and I think they still need sheltering to get it done.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Pronman:
9. Minnesota Wild: Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa-OHL

Sept. 23, 2001 | 5-foot-9 | 183 pounds
Rossi dominated the OHL this season, scoring more than two points per game as one of the best players in the entire CHL. He was a major reason why the 67’s were an elite team. Rossi is an exciting player due to his skill and IQ. He has tremendous stick handling ability in tight areas and can slide off checks. He’s a great passer with a high level of offensive creativity who projects to play the half-wall on an NHL power play. Rossi’s skating is good, but he’s more of a skill player than a speedy player. He’s not the quickest small player you’ll ever see, but he has a powerful stride and good edge work to elude checks. While Rossi is undersized, he’s a very competitive player. He drives the net consistently, he can kill penalties very well and he can be used in tough defensive situations. His great skill and production are very appealing. He doesn’t raise to the top tier of the draft due to his size and speed combination, but he projects to be a top-line NHL forward because of how smart, skilled and competitive he is.

Andre Tourigny, coach of the Ottawa 67’s, on Rossi: “He’s relentless, his competitiveness is through the roof, he has tremendous hockey sense, good skills and a good shot.”

Pronman’s thoughts: In Rossi, the Wild get one of the best players in junior hockey last season. He’s a player with tremendous skill and a high compete level. He’s undersized and a good, not great skater. But the skill and compete level are so good that I think he can become a low-end, first-line center in the NHL who can play on both special teams. He becomes a very important part of the Wild’s future and gives them much needed young depth at center.
2020 NHL Draft Round 1 full analysis: What we learned

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i've said before now that kaprizov is here its time to win! the posters that wanted to trade up to get rossi must be freakin happy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Heavy dislike the names next to Fiala...
Well, our roster still has flaws, and that line would at least be more trustworthy in all situations and get Fiala out there as much as possible with playmakers to his sniper ability.

We still don't have a true #1 center for this year unless Rossi learns lightning quick and gets elevated by season's end, I just wouldn't start him there.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Well, our roster still has flaws, and that line would at least be more trustworthy in all situations and get Fiala out there as much as possible with playmakers to his sniper ability.

We still don't have a true #1 center for this year unless Rossi learns lightning quick and gets elevated by season's end, I just wouldn't start him there.
I'm probably wierd, but I either stick him with Rossi and Kap and go offense. Or out him with our best Center (JEE) and go best on best. LW in that situation is either Kaprizov or Parise to clean up the net front junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad