Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
First game time in a year was always going to be touch and go.

Only relevant factor I am looking at is his skating. We will not find out whether it is good enough for the NHL until the preseason.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Kid had a major health deal and a year off, lets give him half a season just to get his game back and another half to see where he stands. Setting any kind of expectations seems very unreasonable given the situation.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Kid had a major health deal and a year off, lets give him half a season just to get his game back and another half to see where he stands. Setting any kind of expectations seems very unreasonable given the situation.

Given the lack of movement at center this off-season and the thought of going into the season with Rask - Eriksson-Ek - Gaudreau and Sturm/Hartman/whoever down the middle is setting up those expectations.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Given the lack of movement at center this off-season and the thought of going into the season with Rask - Eriksson-Ek - Gaudreau and Sturm/Hartman/whoever down the middle is setting up those expectations.
No, you are responsible for your own expectations.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No, you are responsible for your own expectations.

Expectations were a 'minor' upgrade at center this offseason if they couldn't trade for Eichel before the draft.

All I'm saying is that expectations from the fan base are high on Rossi as there appears to be a slot open in the top 6 for him.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I don't know what you guys expect.

This kid is coming straight outta juniors after a serious health condition. Now he has played 3 games against men on an international level and he was one of the few positive factors on a crappy austrian team. His defensive awareness was good, he has won quite some face offs and he looked pretty solid out there against pros. That's very impressive for someone who couldn't even take the stairs back in May due medical reasons.

He's gonna be fine. He might not be the next McDavid but he is gonna be a serviceable top 6 center for the wild.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I don't know what you guys expect.

This kid is coming straight outta juniors after a serious health condition. Now he has played 3 games against men on an international level and he was one of the few positive factors on a crappy austrian team. His defensive awareness was good, he has won quite some face offs and he looked pretty solid out there against pros. That's very impressive for someone who couldn't even take the stairs back in May due medical reasons.

He's gonna be fine. He might not be the next McDavid but he is gonna be a serviceable top 6 center for the wild.

That's a reasonable expectation, and that's better than any other center we've taken barring Koivu, but it's not gonna get us a cup. And he's been hyped up way more than that over the last year, as he hasn't had any real consistent opportunities to show he doesn't deserve the hype yet.

TLDR we need to tank for real if we want an actual 1C

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
That's a reasonable expectation, and that's better than any other center we've taken barring Koivu, but it's not gonna get us a cup. And he's been hyped up way more than that over the last year, as he hasn't had any real consistent opportunities to show he doesn't deserve the hype yet.

TLDR we need to tank for real if we want an actual 1C

The expections on Rossi have been way to high on this board since he was drafted.

Just for the record: After tearing it up in juniors, Rossi had to deal with a serious health condition and wasn't able to take stairs for quite some time. This didn't help his developement for sure. With that in mind, his debut against pros on the Olympic qualifiers was quite impressive imo.

But you also have to keep in mind that there is a reason why he has fallen to #9 in his draft class.

That being said: Yes, Rossi has got the potential & talent to become a very good first line center at NHL level. What this kid needs right now is some time to adjust to NHL level because he has lost at least a half year of development due COVID-19.

I think being a serviceable top 6 center is his ceiling floor. There is much upside there for sure but patience is gonna be the key to unleash that. His play at Olympic qualifiers has proven that his bust potential is pretty low. After all the challenges fate has thrown at him he was one of the bright lights on a crappy austrian team on his debut at pro level. That fact should calm you guys down a bit.

Reactions: Slotski

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I have low expectations for Rossi this year. I think he is going to take awhile to adjust back to playing and I think we have to be ready for the possibility that the full year off seriously impacted his development. It is very possible he will bounce back, but seems like way too many people are assuming he is going to be a difference maker this year and shake off all the rust and trauma without any hiccups. Seems like a recipe for disappointment to me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have low expectations for Rossi this year. I think he is going to take awhile to adjust back to playing and I think we have to be ready for the possibility that the full year off seriously impacted his development. It is very possible he will bounce back, but seems like way too many people are assuming he is going to be a difference maker this year and shake off all the rust and trauma without any hiccups. Seems like a recipe for disappointment to me.

I think, regardless of how ready guys like Rossi, Boldy and Addison are, we should assume they're all going to spend the entire year in Iowa, and then just be pleasantly surprised if they don't.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think, regardless of how ready guys like Rossi, Boldy and Addison are, we should assume they're all going to spend the entire year in Iowa, and then just be pleasantly surprised if they don't.

I'm thinking that Boldy has a decent chance to stick with the Wild right out of training camp, with Rossi and Addison most going to Iowa.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm thinking that Boldy has a decent chance to stick with the Wild right out of training camp, with Rossi and Addison most likely starting the season in Iowa.

I think Boldy has a chance if Evason and Guerin feel like giving him one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start him with Iowa for a while, so I'm setting my expectations to that.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I think Boldy has a chance if Evason and Guerin feel like giving him one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start him with Iowa for a while, so I'm setting my expectations to that.
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Boldy, Rossi, Beckman, Khovanov, Lodnia, O'Rourke, Addison all spend time together in Iowa in my opinion.

Would be fun to watch.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't forget Swaney, Dewar, Shaw, and Giroux, as far as young'ish players are concerned.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Boldy, Rossi, Beckman, Khovanov, Lodnia, O'Rourke, Addison all spend time together in Iowa in my opinion.

Would be fun to watch.

I think there's definitely valid reasoning to keeping all those guys in Iowa for an entire year regardless of how good they are. I would be moderately disappointed if none of them even got a couple games just to see what happens in the NHL, but I would probably just watch a lot of Iowa's games at that point. But they could all be down there building chemistry, competing against each other for ice time, learning from each and driving each other to be better, and the team itself would probably be pretty successful, so they'd get a taste of "a winning culture". You would be able to get a sense of who's worth putting on the NHL roster in 2022-23 because they'd all be on a level playing field in 2021-22. The cream would rise to the top.

My only concern would be if you could get them all enough meaningful playing time in Iowa. You'd still have to play guys like Dumont, Dewar, Duhaime, Giroux, Shaw, Bitten, Chaffee and others. I guess that's where the competition part comes in, but I would hate for guys like Khovanov and Beckman to be in the press box for half of the season when they should be playing games somewhere.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Reactions: DeagleJenkins

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
It would've been one of the healthy scratches from the sunday game. Gordeev, Zmolek, Lodnia, Sucese, Bennett

Could have been someone from the big club that was in town early too right? Greenway, Fiala, ek, etc.. not sure if any are in town though...

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad