OT: March Madness Thread

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The reason why the AD is one of the few people at the school that brings in money is because sports is one of the few revenue generating aspects of a school. Does it mean it brings in enough revenue to offset its expenses? Hell no. But is that AD bringing in more money than say your Schools French Department, Latin Deparment, Art History Department.. you bet your Behind.

Scholarships are an expense because its a displacement of a paying student. If there is a dorm where athletes live lets say 200 rooms for 400 athletes. Those 400 athletes can live there for free whereas if there were no scholarships 400 paying students would live there. That could be a difference in about 20 million dollars per year.

You really think it costs $50,000.00 per student athlete to house and feed them for a year?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You really think it costs $50,000.00 per student athlete to house and feed them for a year?

for a private school at duke or georgetown that is the tuition. Tuition is one of the few revenue streams of the school and is not intended to reflect the cost of living at school and food, it reflects salary of teachers , maintenance salary, repairs, pretty much all costs of a school.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
for a private school at duke or georgetown that is the tuition. Tuition is one of the few revenue streams of the school and is not intended to reflect the cost of living at school and food, it reflects salary of teachers , maintenance salary, repairs, pretty much all costs of a school.

You didn't say anything about tuition. Just housing. I can buy that number if we're including all the expenses of an athletic scholarship to a private university. It would still be much lower at most state schools.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Changes that should be made to the system IMO are:

Guaranteed scholarships (if you quit, you lose it but can remain if you get financial aid, but if you get cut or injured, you can remain with the scholarship)
Included in scholarship is housing on campus and dining plan
Allowing athletes to accept money or goods from outside sources for necessities (rent, food, fun, etc.)
Healthcare for injuries suffered while a student athlete (if not already available)

Other than that, leave it the way it is. Maybe some other stuff I missed but we don't need to be paying athletes, though I wouldn't be opposed to some small stipend for necessities, but nothing crazy.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Let's all just agree that today is the start of the best weekend of the year. Have my last final in a few minutes and then it's time to run home and sit on the couch in front of the new TV for hours on end.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'm taking my World Cup Tour de Lose Money talents to NCAA basketball. I surprisingly made a lot of money during the World Cup betting on a sport I didn't know that much about. Now soccer has replaced my following of college basketball so I know not that much about basketball and more about soccer now.

So my first bet:

Notre Dame -8 and Iowa State -10 in a teaser.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Lulz. Welp there goes my caring for the month. Think this is the second time in like three years my champion got knocked out in the first round.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I think I pissed of a sports God sometime around New Years. I think it's because I bet on Canada to beat the U.S. in the WJC on New Years Eve. I don't think I've won a bet since and my champion going down in the first round confirms it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad