Speculation: March 5th 3pm ET trade deadline - Chevy has a bit more room than you think ($7.1m)

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Long term best outcome is to sell what expiring assets we have for rentals. Maybe try to re-sign Stuart as a UFA in the summer.

Although points wise we are "in it" most teams have a few games in hand, and the torrid 9-3-1 pace probably isn't going to continue, which is what it would have to do (along with continued shoddy play from the 4 other teams we're contending with for that 8th spot and the privilege to be the warm-up squad for Chicago or St. Louis before they really get serious in their run to the final 4).

They would have to go what something like 16-4 in their final 20 games to get in... I would think that a team on a 25-7-1 run to get into the post season might not be such a pushover.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Setoguchi is a pretty easy sell IMO. When all of our forwards (counting Byfuglien as a forward) are healthy, he's a scratch.

Jokinen is the one that really hinges on whether or not the braintrust feels they can make a final run into a wildcard spot.

I think they view Stuart as a guy with a role on our team going forward, so I feel like it's unlikely he's dealt.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They would have to go what something like 16-4 in their final 20 games to get in... I would think that a team on a 25-7-1 run to get into the post season might not be such a pushover.

Right now 14-6-2 gives us a 64% chance of getting in, which would be a nice run to end the season. Facing the Hawks or Blues is just something this team needs to experience. You have to make the playoffs, get that experience and gradually improve. You can't go from bottom feeder to Stanley cup without taking the steps in between so lets start taking them.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I still think that when all is said and done, Jokinen will be traded to the Kings.

He fits that team like a glove and has a history with Sutter. With Noel gone, the Jets know that spot will be Burmistrov's next year.

No idea what the price would be, but I'd be happy if we could get any two of Pearson, Clifford or Frattin.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I still think that when all is said and done, Jokinen will be traded to the Kings.

He fits that team like a glove and has a history with Sutter. With Noel gone, the Jets know that spot will be Burmistrov's next year.

No idea what the price would be, but I'd be happy if we could get any two of Pearson, Clifford or Frattin.

Couple problems:

1) He had a good relatonship with Brent not Darryl. Appqrently darryls time in Calgary was not good. Jokinen was brents pet project.

2) You're assuming burmistrov can come back. I have yet to see anyone present solid evidence this is true.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Couple problems:

1) He had a good relatonship with Brent not Darryl. Appqrently darryls time in Calgary was not good. Jokinen was brents pet project.

2) You're assuming burmistrov can come back. I have yet to see anyone present solid evidence this is true.

Garrett has a vetted source saying his KHL contract has an NHL out clause after this season. So that's pretty solid evidence he could indeed come back.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lawless was saying on the Big Show that he took a picture of Olli on a bike and tweeted it out. Could that be the photo that is making the rounds? Gary also said he had a good talk with Fro and then Lawless laughed and said "Blake Wheeler still isn't talking to me" :laugh:

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Lawless was saying on the Big Show that he took a picture of Olli on a bike and tweeted it out. Could that be the photo that is making the rounds? Gary also said he had a good talk with Fro and then Lawless laughed and said "Blake Wheeler still isn't talking to me" :laugh:

Why not? Did Lawless write something about Wheeler?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Couple problems:

Garrett has a vetted source saying his KHL contract has an NHL out clause after this season. So that's pretty solid evidence he could indeed come back.

Great news if that's true. That really tickles my fancy.

PS241 had a vetted source before I did.

Also can =/= will... I hope he will but never know

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I was thinking of teams that could possibly want a top pair RHD, and they are a team that could use one I believe. Hedman is young, is a lefty, and has 3 years left before he's a UFA. He needs a partner. Carle should be the second pair LHD, and Salo and Gudas are their top two righties and neither are anywhere close to being 1st pair quality.

Then, a quick look at their roster and prospect pool and you have the following:

Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Kucherov, Nameestnikov, Conolly, Panik, Koekkoek.

Not saying all of those guys are available, but I would have no issue with a deal that included someone in that list for sure, especially the 1st 5 names.

I would go after Koekkoek for sure. Doubt he's available.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Why not? Did Lawless write something about Wheeler?

Gary was giving the older core a rough ride for a while and he has kind of trolled most of the leaders on the team. I believe it started a while back with Brown saying the Jets would let him know when they would have players available for H & L again. Not sure how long that lasted. I don't think most of the guys on the team have any problems with the press but Lawless might be the exception.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Gary was giving the older core a rough ride for a while and he has kind of trolled most of the leaders on the team. I believe it started a while back with Brown saying the Jets would let him know when they would have players available for H & L again. Not sure how long that lasted. I don't think most of the guys on the team have any problems with the press but Lawless might be the exception.

I seem to recall that he specifically mentioned Wheeler as one of the core players that the Jets could / should consider moving.

.... wait just a sec... yes, here it is (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/if-noel-axed-he-shouldnt-go-alone-leaders-share-the-blame-239381581.html).

Firing Noel at this stage won't accomplish much. This team doesn't have enough talent and it doesn't have strong leadership. A new coach alone won't make a difference.

Take your pick. Andrew Ladd, Dustin Byfuglien or Blake Wheeler should be on the way out of town at the same time as Noel.

Well, it turns out that a new coach just might make a difference, eh Gary?

Is it any wonder that Gary would get the cold shoulder from some of the key players?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I seem to recall that he specifically mentioned Wheeler as one of the core players that the Jets could / should consider moving.

.... wait just a sec... yes, here it is (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/if-noel-axed-he-shouldnt-go-alone-leaders-share-the-blame-239381581.html).

Well, it turns out that a new coach just might make a difference, eh Gary?

Is it any wonder that Gary would get the cold shoulder from some of the key players?

Yea I think the guys find it amusing to read Gary's extreme flip flop articles on individuals like E Kane for example that are written months apart. Gary is along the lines of a Simmons, Cox stir the pot Toronto media type which is good for cheap pops but honestly the market in Toronto is pretty crowded so extreme measures are needed if you want to stand out in the crowd.....I am not sure I get the career strategy in Winnipeg but nobody can call Lawless a floater.

I the spirit of fairness I have heard Gary backtrack on his Noel comments and admit he was wrong about the impact a coaching change would have.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought players didn't read the newspapers...

I don't think they all read and listen to everything but as a "community" they keep each other in the loop when it comes to a guy like Lawless.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yea I think the guys find it amusing to read Gary's extreme flip flop articles on individuals like E Kane for example that are written months apart. Gary is along the lines of a Simmons, Cox stir the pot Toronto media type which is good for cheap pops but honestly the market in Toronto is pretty crowded so extreme measures are needed if you want to stand out in the crowd.....I am not sure I get the career strategy in Winnipeg but nobody can call Lawless a floater.

I the spirit of fairness I have heard Gary backtrack on his Noel comments and admit he was wrong about the impact a coaching change would have.

Did Lawless also backtrack on his insistence that Ladd, Buff or Wheeler should also go? Or has he amended his position and decided that only Buff needs to go?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Did Lawless also backtrack on his insistence that Ladd, Buff or Wheeler should also go? Or has he amended his position and decided that only Buff needs to go?

Keeping in mind that I don't read and hear everything from Lawless I have not heard Gary backtrack on his call for "change within the leadership core" however, I have not heard him restate this position (double down) since Maurice has taken over.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
O'Dell might make the squad next year, even battling versus Jokinen. Yes, I know about "the wiley veteran" Jokinen, but he's lost a step and turns 36 in December. It's one thing to argue that O'Dell might not be the Jets' future, but I can 100% guarantee you that Jokinen won't be. The only problem is that Jokinen has a modified No-Trade-Clause. So moving him at the deadline might not be possible even if we did find a willing partner.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I actually can't make through an entire Lawless article. About 2 paragraphs in the point is made thought and he just repeats it ad nauseum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad