Confirmed with Link: Marc Staal TRADED.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Staal didn't have a reported NTC for the entire deal, so him having to waive a supposed NTC for this trade is news to...well...everyone. Including the normal NHL folks.

I do wonder if the NMC was worded in his contract so that he simply couldn't be sent down to the minors. Fans are only exposed to the usual "NMC", "M-NTC", "NTC" clauses... But the wording for those clauses can be different on a contract by contract basis

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
I'm sorry, but I don't share the revisionist love for Staal and his game of yesteryear.
He's a good guy and a good teammate, but not a good player. Because he is the first two, nobody has ever honestly called him out on the third. Every dollar he earned on this contract was paying for a player that was no longer there before it was ever signed.

By "his game of yesteryear" you must literally mean last year.

Because young, two-eyed Marc Staal was a top notch defenseman. He was a big reason Hank and the Rangers had so much success on spotty rosters. You must not remember how he (and Girardi) were among the best shut down defensemen in the league. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them consistently stifle players like Crosby and Ovechkin.

That's not revisionist. That's being appreciative of a stalwart player that made the frustration of opposing star players deliciously palpable.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Johnny Hockey is a guy CGY is concerned with. It was very telling to them what happened with Thachuk out of the line up.

There's more to it than that. Teams, or any business for that matter, doesn't make impulse decisions that require moving millions of dollars over the course of say 24-48 hours.

With a guy like Johnny, it's an even bigger decision. I personally would stay as far away as I can from Johnny.

Not that he isn't a great player, but he's not a guy I think you win with.

Very interesting. Do you think it's more because he's fed up with Calgary and needs a change of scenery? Or is it more of a personality trait that they are not happy with?

Edit: annnnddd the words right out of my mouth, LOL

This exact statement..is what we heard about marian hossa...and pavel datsyuk...and Phil Kessel.

Before they started winning cup after cup after cup

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Performance bonuses are handed out the year after for the previous year aren't they? Or are you talking about this years bonuses that count for next season, in that case i'm not sure how much $ that is.

Including Di Giuseppe, and minus 1M for Georigiev we would need 2 players. A forward and defenseman....Hajek/Miller at under a million for the defenseman, and a bottom 6 forward at less than 2M (or Krav/Barron?)

This is why I suggested going back and reading my recent post history. I honestly don't feel like explaining it again.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
By "his game of yesteryear" you must literally mean last year.

Because young, two-eyed Marc Staal was a top notch defenseman. He was a big reason Hank and the Rangers had so much success on spotty rosters. You must not remember how he (and Girardi) were among the best shut down defensemen in the league. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them consistently stifle players like Crosby and Ovechkin.

That's not revisionist. That's being appreciative of a stalwart player that made the frustration of opposing star players deliciously palpable.
He had the eye injury in 2013. So half of his career we have been sitting here reflecting about how good he used to be. I've been watching this team for 35 years. I know what I'm looking at when I see it and Staal got the kid gloves treatment here. In his golden era of being a shut down man, it was also the Tortorella era when every guy on the team devoted his life to blocking shots. Let's not act like he was Ovechkin kryptonite all on his own. An in prime Lundqvist and a team dedicated to not allowing shots is going to bring those Ovi numbers down quite a bit. Staal gets the eye injury, Torts moves on and we get a coach that doesn't use the 6 goalie system, and now all of a sudden the numbers don't look like they used to. He was never close to a #1Dman like some suggested, either. Real #1Dmen play the PowerPlay. I would put the Janitor on the point with a mop before I would put Staal on the PP, eye injury or not. You can have your memories, I have mine. I don't think we are going to agree on this one.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
They could trade him at the trade deadline and get possibly a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.....if Luke Schenn can play in the Finals...so can he ! Cheap insurance for a club needing a guy for injury purposes in a playoff run . So Wings could get 2 picks before it is done .

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Symbol of success lmao they haven't been good since I was in elementary school, the Rangers have been way more successful than those bums in recent years
They've missed the playoffs the last four years and we've missed it the last three. Prior to that they made the playoffs 25 straight years and won four Cups. They were one of the best-run organizations not just in the NHL but all of North American professional sports. I know you're like 15 or something but for adults who can remember beyond 2010, the Wings were a juggernaut.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
He had the eye injury in 2013. So half of his career we have been sitting here reflecting about how good he used to be. I've been watching this team for 35 years. I know what I'm looking at when I see it and Staal got the kid gloves treatment here. In his golden era of being a shut down man, it was also the Tortorella era when every guy on the team devoted his life to blocking shots. Let's not act like he was Ovechkin kryptonite all on his own. An in prime Lundqvist and a team dedicated to not allowing shots is going to bring those Ovi numbers down quite a bit. Staal gets the eye injury, Torts moves on and we get a coach that doesn't use the 6 goalie system, and now all of a sudden the numbers don't look like they used to. He was never close to a #1Dman like some suggested, either. Real #1Dmen play the PowerPlay. I would put the Janitor on the point with a mop before I would put Staal on the PP, eye injury or not. You can have your memories, I have mine. I don't think we are going to agree on this one.

I literally cannot believe that you are here trying to tell us that we thought too highly of Staal :laugh:

Like, f***ing speechless.

The only player I've thought was worse for the Rangers in the last two decades was Tanner Glass. And if we factored in TOI and importance of that ice time, Staal wins by a country mile.

Where have you even come up with this idea :laugh: Comedy gold is what it is.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yes, but many people are older than you and remember when they dominated the league
True I just don’t like how people seem to bash us as a losing franchise, and act like we weren’t a dominant force in the 2010’s. Many people call our organization “cursed” and seem jealous of other fanbases

Reactions: egelband

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
True I just don’t like how people seem to bash us as a losing franchise, and act like we weren’t a dominant force in the 2010’s. Many people call our organization “cursed” and seem jealous of other fanbases
I'm not going to pretend I kept tabs on AV's Canucks but I've been saying when AV came to the Rangers they were one of the first "fast" teams. Between guys like Hagelin and Kreider there were a minimum of two breakaways per game. Then next season Pitt has success and everyone acts like they brought the speed and stretch passes.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad