Confirmed with Link: Marc Staal TRADED.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's true but 'NMC' usually means full protection. I use CapFriendly and they distinguish between NMC and NTC and M-NTC, but apparently not in Staal's case. When you look up Staal on Spotrac, it says he does have a M-NTC. So yeah, he must have had to submit a Trade/No-Trade list and Detroit was On/Off it depending on the specific condition.

CapFriendly usually doesn't mess stuff up like that.
Someone posted this earlier:

So, someone had it right originally. However other reporters, including CapFriendly and Brooks, were pretty emphatic it was a full NMC and NTC for the life of the deal.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
easily the best news a nyr fan could receive. 5 large plus a roster spot next season.

this is a guy with metrics beyond bad. he was a cinder block around the neck of any partner that was unlucky enough to drag his corpse around.

considering the above, its amazing the numbers ADA posted last season. ADA gets his well earned deal now.

good luck marc staal.

and to think we have the 1 OA AND no marc staal and shesty and bread man and mika ???!!!!

next up..... paging #30....

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Bad month to be a Staal brother--one traded to the Wings and the other to the Sabres.
Jordan rn
300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I still don't understand why his brother Eric took such a bad cheap shot at him and basically ruined his career...his own friggin brother

Reactions: will1066

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I can't believe people are saying the Rangers should have just rode this out! Everyone has been complaining about cap space, everyone has been complaining about his play. This is a slam dunk no brainer.

We now have space to do what's needed and we now have an opening for Tarmo, Hajek, Miller or Robertson to get experience.
Exactly, losing a 2nd is NOTHING (no guarantees whilst our cupboard is looking much better) and really fast forwards things in the developmental aspect for LD's, whomever gets the shot and it could be more than a few.
Personally, I will miss Marc. The next to LAST to leave of those 12 winning years with Hank at the helm.
Like Derek, and lastly Dan and McD......a complete upheaval of those good defensive teams. Out with the old and in with the new. Unfortunately/fortunately this had to happen, better to have the kids make mistakes and LEARN, than for the game to too fast to keep up. Amazing he was able to adjust his game to at least be serviceable. (And I hate using that terminology).
The defensive leadership will HAVE TO come from Trouba, but certainly Tony D. Lindgren and Fox have what it takes.
Fortunately/unfortunately.......Hank is next up and out. I would NOT trade Georgie boy......that would be a HUGE mistake.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm assuming he considered Lindgren a lock already.

Between those 3 names, Smith, and whoever else they may bring in between now and then, it'll be a very interesting part of camp to keep an eye on.

I'd love to see Hajek get more comfortable and make the step to become an NHL regular, see what Reunanen looks like with another year under his belt, and allow Miller to get some time in the AHL before making the jump. But we'll have to see how they all look in camp.

Call me crazy but, I would like Smith on 4th line and give 2 rooks some valuable time if they impress in camp. Could always do what they had previously done.....swing him.
Especially good when the 4th line is on, with the rooks on the ice. In all actuality, that would be 3 dmen on ice at the same time.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I almost feel sorry for Detroit if they're actually going to play Staal in their lineup. I know they're tanking, but at some point it just becomes beyond embarrassing. Staal is currently Detroit's highest paid defenseman.

I just looked at the DET roster. Holy hell are they bad. Staal might actually be a top 4 D-man on their roster, just lol.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Call me crazy but, I would like Smith on 4th line and give 2 rooks some valuable time if they impress in camp. Could always do what they had previously done.....swing him.
Especially good when the 4th line is on, with the rooks on the ice. In all actuality, that would be 3 dmen on ice at the same time.

Crazy. ; )

But seriously while I personally think the Rangers will bring in NHL level LD, it certainly possible they won't and allow Hajek, Miller or Reunanen take 2LD spots while Smith is a healthy scratch or an injury substitute at either RD, LD or 4W to continue banking on cap space without carrying an extra body.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`ll send you a vacation post card in 2021 from #Tenerife, later bro. :)

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
What Gorton has accomplished since the letter should award him the benefit of the doubt for quite awhile. I loved this guy before he has name GM and he's done very little to change that since. This organization continues in the right direction...

Outside of the Mcdonagh trade, he’s had the Midas touch. If Howden improves and Nils is as advertised then even that may be saved.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Ryan Strome is not that bad, geez. 59 points in 70 games and I don't care if he was playing with Panarin. I wouldn't mind them signing him short term to a reasonable deal.

Seriously... if there’s a better option via trade or free agency then I’m all about it, otherwise I’m fine with Strome-Panarin combo for 2-3 years.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad