Confirmed with Link: Marc Staal TRADED.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I just see no value in trying to improve the 2021 team unless it clearly helps 2024 team and beyond. I just see no pressure to improve the 2021 and 2022 rosters just because we have ELCs. We are giong to need the money to sign our own guys in a couple years.

I am comfortable that this is their approach. Any moves they make will be with an eye on the future.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's Monday and Marc Staal still remains not a Ranger. :eek2:
Does this qualify for a magician Gorton pic?

that 2nd Round picks indicates no lol

maybe he could throw in the 2nd #1 and move Hank next lol

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Who cares what Dugay thinks, MSG fired him for a reason

It's not every day a former Ranger and MSG analyst goes out of their way to talk badly about a current player. I'm not saying we should care what he says, but it is certainly interesting that it was said.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I am comfortable that this is their approach. Any moves they make will be with an eye on the future.

I strongly believe as well that this is what they are trying to do. That is what makes me wonder why people want us to actively try and compete for a cup in the next 2 years. I just want the Rangers to focus entirely on 2023 and beyond.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I strongly believe as well that this is what they are trying to do. That is what makes me wonder why people want us to actively try and compete for a cup in the next 2 years. I just want the Rangers to focus entirely on 2023 and beyond.

I dont believe the two options are mutually exclusive. We have talents in their prime...you don't just punt multiple seasons. But we can make moves that will improve the team both now and and in the future. Our window may not truly be open for another year or two, but they will be looking to improve the team whenever possible.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
the wings weren't on his no trade list...the actual clauses are more complex then 3 letters

That's true but 'NMC' usually means full protection. I use CapFriendly and they distinguish between NMC and NTC and M-NTC, but apparently not in Staal's case. When you look up Staal on Spotrac, it says he does have a M-NTC. So yeah, he must have had to submit a Trade/No-Trade list and Detroit was On/Off it depending on the specific condition.

CapFriendly usually doesn't mess stuff up like that.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I dont believe the two options are mutually exclusive. We have talents in their prime...you don't just punt multiple seasons. But we can make moves that will improve the team both and and in the future.

Absolutely. If there are moves to be made now that help us 3 years from now as well. Lets do it. Adam Fox, Panarin, Trouba are all good examples of that. What I have issue with is the idea that its important for us to make moves so the 2021 and 2022 teams are competitive so we have a chance to win a cup while our kids are on ELC. I don't believe for a second that there are moves that can be made to make up competitive next season. We are operating at a 60m cap due to Hank, Smith, and buyouts. And I dont believe we can make trades to help the 2021 and 2022 teams without having negative impacts on the 2023+ teams. If you want to make the team better today, more often than not, you have to take away from tomorrow. I don't want to take from the 2024 Rangers to make the 2021 Rangers better.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Absolutely. If there are moves to be made now that help us 3 years from now as well. Lets do it. Adam Fox, Panarin, Trouba are all good examples of that. What I have issue with is the idea that its important for us to make moves so the 2021 and 2022 teams are competitive so we have a chance to win a cup while our kids are on ELC. I don't believe for a second that there are moves that can be made to make up competitive next season. We are operating at a 60m cap due to Hank, Smith, and buyouts. And I dont believe we can make trades to help the 2021 and 2022 teams without having negative impacts on the 2023+ teams. If you want to make the team better today, more often than not, you have to take away from tomorrow. I don't want to take from the 2024 Rangers to make the 2021 Rangers better.

I think the organization is on the same page as you. Hank will not be on the roster come opening day. Either they will use the available cash to re-sign our own guys, bring in guys on very short deals or they will trade assets to bring in young cost controlled players who they expect will be part of the core for several years to come. They aren't signing over 30 guys on the decline for multiple years. That's the opposite of the patience they have been preaching.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I dont believe the two options are mutually exclusive. We have talents in their prime...you don't just punt multiple seasons. But we can make moves that will improve the team both now and and in the future. Our window may not truly be open for another year or two, but they will be looking to improve the team whenever possible.

Absolutely not disputing that, and totally agree. Love to see some trades that might bring in another center in that 22-25 age range. Or maybe a LD that can help now because our LD prospects could take 2 years to become regulars, and another couple years to be good enough to contribute to the playoffs. But these types of moves are with an eye to the future. They aren't moves being made because the Rangers are like... "Listed, Kakko, Laf, and Fox are on ELCs. We need to compete right now before they get big raises." What I essentially have an issue with is the idea that we should try our hardest to be competitive because of ELCs. We are not winning a cup while these kids are on ELCs. Its not going to happen. But yes, make trades that help now and the future.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Absolutely not disputing that, and totally agree. Love to see some trades that might bring in another center in that 22-25 age range. Or maybe a LD that can help now because our LD prospects could take 2 years to become regulars, and another couple years to be good enough to contribute to the playoffs. But these types of moves are with an eye to the future. They aren't moves being made because the Rangers are like... "Listed, Kakko, Laf, and Fox are on ELCs. We need to compete right now before they get big raises." What I essentially have an issue with is the idea that we should try our hardest to be competitive because of ELCs. We are not winning a cup while these kids are on ELCs. Its not going to happen. But yes, make trades that help now and the future.

I agree with almost everything you wrote. But I don't think it's beyond possibility that the team can win a cup while Lafreniere/Miller/Lundkvist are still on their ELC.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I think the organization is on the same page as you. Hank will not be on the roster come opening day. Either they will use the available cash to re-sign our own guys, bring in guys on very short deals or they will trade assets to bring in young cost controlled players who they expect will be part of the core for several years to come. They aren't signing over 30 year guys on the decline for multiple years. That's the opposite of the patience they have been preaching.

Yeah, I believe the same thing. I love what the Rangers are doing. What started this conversation was me questioning people that think we need to build up the 2021 and 2022 rosters because we have cap relief from all our ELCs and and we should take advantage of it. I just find it to be a silly notion to try and build up two teams that likely have no chance of winning the cup. And I cant see any scenario that we could change the 2021 and 2022 Rangers to be cup competitors without subtracting from the future. I guess what I am struggling to say is that I think its a really bad idea to try and turn the 2021 and 2022 teams into cup contenders, because I don't think its humanly possible to make these changes without subtracting from the 2023+ teams.

Reactions: broadwayblue

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Just curious what Ron had to say. I'm not sure what to make of him yet, so young, got that big body. If Ron is saying he isn't putting in the work, that would be concerning.
Said he was soft and that tou don't win with guys like him in the playoffs.
It's pretty funny, considering that he was one of ours best players in the Carolina series.

Reactions: RickChartraw

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I agree with almost everything you wrote. But I don't think it's beyond possibility that the team can win a cup while Lafreniere/Miller/Lundkvist are still on their ELC.

I definitely agree with that. I think there is a chance we could compete on Laf's third year. But some posters were calling for this upcoming season and next. Somehow the loss of Staal makes people think we have all this space now to make moves needed to make the 21 and 22 teams competitive. We don't. We just now have enough money to retain last years roster. This team doesnt need more players, they need their kids to hit their primes. And they arent going to do that while on their ELCs.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Was this talked about? Is this even true and does anyone know anything about it if it is true?

Yeah it sounds as if some of the final years of his contract, he had an NMC but also a modified-NTC (like Nash, as an example) and that Detroit was not on his M-NTC. So we were able to trade him. I haven't seen any exact parameters reported, but that's apparently what it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad