Confirmed with Link: Marc Staal TRADED.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I'm sorry, but I don't share the revisionist love for Staal and his game of yesteryear.
He's a good guy and a good teammate, but not a good player. Because he is the first two, nobody has ever honestly called him out on the third. Every dollar he earned on this contract was paying for a player that was no longer there before it was ever signed.

Reactions: SA16

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Chytil and ADA make sense as centerpieces on our end, and they can have a first round pick or picks as well, but I’m not also giving them Lafrieniere, Kakko or Kravtsov.

Me neither but maybe add a B level (or A- if you will) prospect. Yeah I’d stay put there because otherwise as @eco's bones noted it might compromise the Rangers’ own depth of talent. If Sabres bulk then no harm - it’s not a critical need.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm sorry, but I don't share the revisionist love for Staal and his game of yesteryear.
He's a good guy and a good teammate, but not a good player. Because he is the first two, nobody has ever honestly called him out on the third. Every dollar he earned on this contract was paying for a player that was no longer there before it was ever signed.
Okay, so place your displeasure with management then...

He was a solid shutdown defenseman before the injuries and thats what we appreciate him for

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
I loved this guy early on, but the eye injury and the concussion from his own brother ended what I thought was nice defenseman. Good luck in Detroit.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
what do u mean he wasnt called out for his game? hes been trashed for years due to his play.

Reactions: Leetch3

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Not called out for his play? We’ve got posters on this board who have devoted their entire existence to trashing his play.

C’mon man!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

really?

Reactions: Kallio

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
IDC how bad he was the past few seasons, 1) it's not his fault Sather made a bad decision to pay him big and long term over others and 2) he was an important part to our playoff runs and turning the franchise around.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
i think we’re all puzzled at the rush to clear this Staal space. He has clearly fallen off but We could have gone with him another year. Feels like something bigger coming for sure.

It has been abundantly clear that he can't take regular minutes on a team that wants to accomplish anything positive.

Now they could have kept him around as an extra and simply not played him, but the org loves him too much to do that. This gives him the opportunity to play regular minutes elsewhere while ridding yourselves of the worst player on your roster.

Win-Win-Win, when you consider that Staal is going to be instrumental in Detroit's tanking efforts. This move was as much about pushing forward as it was about clearing space. Maybe they do have something big planned (wouldn't surprise me) but it could just as easily be having the money to keep their RFA's, Fast and still have a bit of a cushion to do other things (other UFAs, trades, Performance Bonuses, etc.)

Reactions: Harbour Dog and jas

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Not called out for his play? We’ve got posters on this board who have devoted their entire existence to trashing his play.

C’mon man!
No offense guys, but people trashing you on a message board you don't read is not being called out on your play. I'm talking about people in a position to do something about it that work for the team, not this peanut gallery.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
No offense guys, but people trashing you on a message board you don't read is not being called out on your play. I'm talking about people in a position to do something about it that work for the team, not this peanut gallery.

so you want the front office to trash their own player? do you honestly think that you are making even an ounce of sense?

and why don't you call jim dolan and glen sather and bitch to them if we have nothing to do with it

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It has been abundantly clear that he can't take regular minutes on a team that wants to accomplish anything positive.

Now they could have kept him around as an extra and simply not played him, but the org loves him too much to do that. This gives him the opportunity to play regular minutes elsewhere while ridding yourselves of the worst player on your roster.

Win-Win-Win, when you consider that Staal is going to be instrumental in Detroit's tanking efforts. This move was as much about pushing forward as it was about clearing space. Maybe they do have something big planned (wouldn't surprise me) but it could just as easily be having the money to keep their RFA's, Fast and still have a bit of a cushion to do other things (other UFAs, trades, Performance Bonuses, etc.)

Actually, I think it’s pretty obvious they have something bigger planned. The question is whether or not it gets executed.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
so you want the front office to trash their own player? do you honestly think that you are making even an ounce of sense?

and why don't you call jim dolan and glen sather and bitch to them if we have nothing to do with it

@Thirty One would be better able to put in words but I imagine an introduction between Stevie Y and Staal to go something like this: “Marc, we really wanted you here to help us in our tanking efforts to be a good mentor to kids in the locker room and yourself on the ice.”

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't want to make this an all day thing, but he had the golden ticket right up until this year. People were acting like being a healthy scratch was drastic when he should have been sitting years ago. It's one thing to trash a guy publicly and no, that's not what I was or am advocating. But when other players make mistakes, they go to the bench or to the press box and that just never seemed to happen with Staal. Accountability somehow never seemed to touch this guy. How many Ranger goals ended up with him not even in the frame, or laying over near the boards? Yet he would never miss a shift. I just never shared the opinion that he was some kind of shut down wizard. The main thing he shut down was our chances of exiting the zone. I don't want to go back and forth all day, and maybe I shouldn't be throwing stones on the guy's way out the door, so if you don't agree, fine. I will leave it at I think will be a better team with him wearing the Red Wing.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
getting rid of Staal is addition by subtraction and to me a big move doesn't need to follow it.

for all the hoo-hah that we aren't going to compete next year, there is absolutely no good reason that we shouldn't try to. Fox, Kakko, Shest, and now Laf all on ELCs is exactly when you want to start throwing your hat in the ring.

which is why I'm not fond of the should've kept him for another year angle instead of dump the 2nd. doing so guarantees we won't compete.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't want to make this an all day thing, but he had the golden ticket right up until this year. People were acting like being a healthy scratch was drastic when he should have been sitting years ago. It's one thing to trash a guy publicly and no, that's not what I was or am advocating. But when other players make mistakes, they go to the bench or to the press box and that just never seemed to happen with Staal. Accountability somehow never seemed to touch this guy. How many Ranger goals ended up with him not even in the frame, or laying over near the boards? Yet he would never miss a shift. I just never shared the opinion that he was some kind of shut down wizard. The main thing he shut down was our chances of exiting the zone. I don't want to go back and forth all day, and maybe I shouldn't be throwing stones on the guy's way out the door, so if you don't agree, fine. I will leave it at I think will be a better team with him wearing the Red Wing.

Staal had a spot in the lineup because of his contract. Not because he had to play to justify giving him $5.7m but because this cap hit prevented the Rangers to sign a better “replacement” in order to sit Staal. Last season at the start there was lack of forward that required Smith to play forward and Staal to start. Then Staal actually started to get benched right before his injury so his injury prevented the longer length of being scratched. When Staal regained health Hajek’s wheels started to fall off and then Skjei was traded. So if you argue that he should not have been given the contract - we all agree, but if it is that he was getting a free ride - no.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's hard not to like this trade. If things go the way the Rangers hope next season, the '21 2nd should be in the middle to later parts of the round. After adding 6 first round picks in the last 3 drafts, and having 2 in this upcoming draft, a 2nd is not a huge loss to gain capspace and roster flexibility.

Trading Staal makes a buyout of Hank MUCH more easy to absorb.

Reactions: Richard Banger

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
getting rid of Staal is addition by subtraction and to me a big move doesn't need to follow it.

for all the hoo-hah that we aren't going to compete next year, there is absolutely no good reason that we shouldn't try to. Fox, Kakko, Shest, and now Laf all on ELCs is exactly when you want to start throwing your hat in the ring.

which is why I'm not fond of the should've kept him for another year angle instead of dump the 2nd. doing so guarantees we won't compete.

Bingo. Think you have to buyout Hank if he doesn't retire and consider buying out Smith as well.

Reactions: Richard Banger

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Trading Staal makes a buyout of Hank MUCH more easy to absorb.

Had / have very little doubt in my mind that at least two of three of them (plus Smith) would be moved prior to the start of the season. Definitely a lot better cap-wise now. When the Rangers accomplish their ultimate goal in a few years I’m definitely buying a book or a movie about the rebuild that starts with the Rangers losing to Ottawa in the second round.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I don't want gaudreau. But I don't subscribe to the "you can't win with that type of player" mentality.

Those reasons above are totally acceptable and valid. I tend to roll my eyes at the winner comment.

Everyone is a loser until they are a winner.

Agreed on all above. Things like being a "winner" or even a "leader" are so dependent on team chemistry and such. I remember when they brought in Keane and Skrudland because they were both "former captains." Even if they were good leaders (I wouldn't know one way or the other), that roster was filled with primadonnas who couldn't follow ANY leader. Same with being a winner. It's a team mentality. There are guys who are toxic to winning cultures, but I've seen no indication that Gaudreau is such a player.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad