Marc Methot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
A guy who's missed all of camp and admittedly was playing hurt last season wants Orpik money.

I'm just not seeing how his agent has any leverage in this. If the Sens start out hot, it'll bring his value down even further.

Personally, I like Methot and he plays an important role on this team. HOWEVER, when a guy who plays his style is demanding dollar and term, you might have to look the other way because those kind of deals for those kind of defensemen always come back to haunt teams.

I always think of Volchenkov who chased the money in NJ and who promptly fell off a cliff skill-wise and became an albatross for the Devils.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
everything i have seen from both these guys in the last two years shows me that Boro is a much better defensemen then Weir .....Weir has good offense which Boro will never have but when it comes to positioning, speed, fighting, hitting and clearing the front of the net...Boro is superior

Not sure Boro was being played over Wier, Boro hadn't got in a game since they left NFLD so I think they just wanted to get a good look against the Canadiens.

Part of the problem for PW is Mac doesn't want to play two puck movers together, so a Ceci/Wiercoich pairing isn't a preferred one (though it did happen once).

To add to that Wiercoich really isn't suited for a 3rd pairing and PKing role, so he is kind of the odd man out at this time.

IMO he is definitely an NHL defenseman, he just might not get to prove it in Ottawa due to Karlsson and Ceci on the right side.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Big Methot fan but starting to get worried by his injuries. Team doesn't want to give us any details which is understandable, but how long do they plan on having him out? We need help we need a good start. I am in no way saying trade Methot or trade some youth but starting to get annoying, couple on injuries for him lately

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We need to get a mobile puck mover for the third pairing, Weircoich can move the puck very well, but cannot skate well enough.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I wasn't referring to carrying, its the gernades they send up to the forwards that gets the team hemmed in or turns it over.

I watched Cowen 3 times ice it with no pressure on Saturday. You cant win turning it over with no pressure.

Great stat to use to evaluate a D man, and Oh, I thought they did win. :laugh:

Passes are missed, tip-ins are missed its not always the D's fault when there is an icing.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Big Methot fan but starting to get worried by his injuries. Team doesn't want to give us any details which is understandable, but how long do they plan on having him out? We need help we need a good start. I am in no way saying trade Methot or trade some youth but starting to get annoying, couple on injuries for him lately

The team isn't keeping Methot out, its his back.

Methot has had this problem from at least April, and Mac I believe said it was muscular so timeframes become very unpredictable.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If the Sens added another top 4 D, and got Methot back, they would have an extremely impressive D core.

Karlsson-Methot/Cowen
Ehrhoff-Methot/Cowen
Ceci-Boro/Gryba/PW/Phillips

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
yeah it is a weak left side, all things considered even from my point of view we have a 2nd pairing and 2 3rd pairing guys on the left side and thats not going to cut it, i mean karlsson and ceci can only carry the pairings so much

we need methot back in the lineup or a better top pairing LS

Ceci struggled against Montreal, wasn't near as effective and made some bad reads at the offensive blueline.

Nothing unexpected for a 20 year old, but he isn't carrying the 2nd pairing by a long shot yet.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I dont see how that situation would add pressure for Murray to sign Methot. We still have him for this season.

IF they're not going to sign him, they're going to have to trade him at some point. Seeing how the team preforms in real games without him might give the team a better idea how badly the defense does or doesn't need him.

That's all Im saying.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Ceci struggled against Montreal, wasn't near as effective and made some bad reads at the offensive blueline.

Nothing unexpected for a 20 year old, but he isn't carrying the 2nd pairing by a long shot yet.

i guess my post was out of context, it was more meant in the sense that with the way our defence is the best defenceman on each pairing is going to be considered to be carrying that pairing and on a pairing of phillips and ceci i would say ceci is carrying that pairing

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
IF they're not going to sign him, they're going to have to trade him at some point. Seeing how the team preforms in real games without him might give the team a better idea how badly the defense does or doesn't need him.

That's all Im saying.

and you would be right, but there is no rush at this point.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Great stat to use to evaluate a D man, and Oh, I thought they did win. :laugh:

Passes are missed, tip-ins are missed its not always the D's fault when there is an icing.

Yaya I meant on a consistent basis in the regular season not pre season. So watching with your eyes is not a good way to evaluate? Only on stats? Why do they bother scouting at all?! Yes passes are tipped but forcing passes into players that are covered is a grenade and that's what happened. No pressure you should not be icing the puck if its tipped it wont be icing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If the Sens added another top 4 D, and got Methot back, they would have an extremely impressive D core.

Karlsson-Methot/Cowen
Ehrhoff-Methot/Cowen
Ceci-Boro/Gryba/PW/Phillips

You forgot Ceci being the number 3 d man and a right handed shot.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You forgot Ceci being the number 3 d man and a right handed shot.

Ceci would be on the third pairing with Methot and another top 4 brought in.

As much as you dislike Cowen, he is going to slot ahead of Ceci, whether it is right or not. I wasn't putting in the detail of which side they play.

In this example I have a puck mover in Ehrhoff. I think he and Methot/Cowen would be a tremendous 2nd pairing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ceci would be on the third pairing with Methot and another top 4 brought in.

As much as you dislike Cowen, he is going to slot ahead of Ceci, whether it is right or not. I wasn't putting in the detail of which side they play.

In this example I have a puck mover in Ehrhoff. I think he and Methot/Cowen would be a tremendous 2nd pairing.

No he wont be slated ahead of him on the right side. You actually think Cowen is ahead of Methot? Are you and Cowen related? Ehrhoff is a lefty too, gonna have to find a guy that plays right if you want to move Ceci down.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No he wont be slated ahead of him on the right side. You actually think Cowen is ahead of Methot? Are you and Cowen related? Ehrhoff is a lefty too, gonna have to find a guy that plays right if you want to move Ceci down.

No, I don't. I think Methot is ahead of Cowen. Hence the reason I had Methot/Cowen, depending on the coaching decisions of wanting Methot to anchor his own pairing.

But I do think that Cowen is going to be in our top 4, regardless of where Methot is slated.

As of right now, Cowen is on our 1st pairing, where he may stay for the whole year, or he may get put back to the 2nd.

I clearly said I wasn't making the fantasy roster dependent on which side they play.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, I don't. I think Methot is ahead of Cowen. Hence the reason I had Methot/Cowen, depending on the coaching decisions of wanting Methot to anchor his on pairing.

But I do think that Cowen is going to be in our top 4, regardless of where Methot is slated.

As of right now, Cowen is on our 1st pairing, where he may stay for the whole year, or he may get put back to the 2nd.

I clearly said I wasn't making the fantasy roster dependent on which side they play.

Cowen is on the first pairing because there is no one else. Methot is hurt, Phillips is 37 and boro is a rookie. You said Methot was on the third pair that would suggest that Cowen is ahead of him.

A fantasy roster wouldn't matter what hands the players are but in real hockey it does. Which is why I don't understand your logic about Cowen being ahead of Ceci especially when the only other right handed option is Gryba. Not even mentioning that Ceci is a way better player than Cowen too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Cowen is on the first pairing because there is no one else. Methot is hurt, Phillips is 37 and boro is a rookie. You said Methot was on the third pair that would suggest that Cowen is ahead of him.

A fantasy roster wouldn't matter what hands the players are but in real hockey it does. Which is why I don't understand your logic about Cowen being ahead of Ceci especially when the only other right handed option is Gryba. Not even mentioning that Ceci is a way better player than Cowen too.

If Methot was playing, and they choose to put him with Karlsson, Cowen is still on the 2nd pairing.

I see Cowen on the 2nd pairing, and Ceci on the 3rd this year. Is it that hard to understand? That's how I see him ahead, has nothing to do with a battle between Cowen and Ceci.

Another Right handed D for the 2nd pairing, Ceci on the 3rd with a left handed D and 2nd PP. Not sure what's so difficult?

We don't see things the same way, it's obvious.

Ceci will certainly be a top 4 D, he will start the season there as well. He will also get better than he currently is.

Karlsson-Cowen-Ceci-Phillips are our top 4 D to start the season

Once Methot comes back it will be Karlsson-Methot-Cowen-Ceci

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
The team isn't keeping Methot out, its his back.

Methot has had this problem from at least April, and Mac I believe said it was muscular so timeframes become very unpredictable.

No I know, obviously. Just having trouble with my english sometimes

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If Methot was playing, and they choose to put him with Karlsson, Cowen is still on the 2nd pairing.

I see Cowen on the 2nd pairing, and Ceci on the 3rd this year. Is it that hard to understand? That's how I see him ahead, has nothing to do with a battle between Cowen and Ceci.

Another Right handed D for the 2nd pairing, Ceci on the 3rd with a left handed D and 2nd PP. Not sure what's so difficult?

We don't see things the same way, it's obvious.

Ceci will certainly be a top 4 D, he will start the season there as well. He will also get better than he currently is.

Karlsson-Cowen-Ceci-Phillips are our top 4 D to start the season

Once Methot comes back it will be Karlsson-Methot-Cowen-Ceci

While I appreciate your logic and explanation, I don't believe Methot was in the plans to play with Karlsson this season.

IMO the Senators wanted Cowen with Karlsson, and Methot to be on the second pairing with Ceci.

Now that doesn't make your top 4 wrong, just the order you wrote it!!!

Also probably the reason they didn't acquiesce to Methot's contract demands.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It could be that Methot is still on the injury list because the Sens don't want to send Ceci to Bingo & they want to get Lazar into some NHL games before they send him back to junior. They have a 23 man roster right now with Methot the 24th player who is on the injury list & doesn't count towards the league maximum. I assume a few games into the season it will be announced that he is ready to come back & Lazar will be sent to junior. We'll see.

I also think that one of Methot or Wiercioch will be traded at some point this yr & my guess is still Wiercioch, especially if Methot gets extended. If Methot is not signed by the trade deadline he could be the one leaving town. But I think BM could make a deal sooner, if there is a player out there that could improve the team right now & they are willing to take a couple of players BM wants to move like Wiercioch & Condra. We'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad