Marc Methot

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Maybe it's too high but would you give 250k more to Methot or to Phillips/Greening?

I think Mngt are afraid of Methot's intangibles.
If I were GM I can confidently say Phillips would have been traded at the deadline and I'd be regretting my decision of re-signing Greening (just like Murray). I thought Greening took the "next step" in the playoffs 2 years ago and would have made the same move as BM. Fools gold I guess.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I'd much rather have Johnny Boychuk.

I wish there was a way we could trade Methot, then send the return to Boston for Boychuk. Then sign him to the extension Methot is refusing.

If Methot is gone, I hope we try to sign Boychuk as a UFA this summer.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ideal scenario

Bruins re-sign Boychuck to 3y 4.5M deal
Ottawa re-signs Methot to 5 year 4.8M deal

Ottawa trades 2nd, Gryba and Robinson for Boychuck.

Methot/Karlsson
Cowen/Boychuck
Phillips/Ceci
Wiercioch

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Jets fan here just wondering if a trade Involving Methot and Bogosian could work with some other pieces added on either side to fill team needs could work.

If we can't sign Methot, possibly.

Not a huge fan of Bogosian's escalating contract*, but from a hockey perspective it's not awful.

* - also, he has played like a dumpster fire recently. Hence why you're testing the waters here for value.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Isn't the whole reason Boston wants to move a defenceman is to shed salary?

I can't see them wanting to take equal salary back for Boychuck. They'll be looking at picks/prospects/players on ELCs in return.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Isn't the whole reason Boston wants to move a defenceman is to shed salary?

I can't see them wanting to take equal salary back for Boychuck. They'll be looking at picks/prospects/players on ELCs in return.

They are cap compliant as soon as they put Savard on LTIR. The moving of Boychuck is to help in case of other injuries. Bob McKenzie said they want a 2nd, a roster player and a prospect. The trade I suggested addresses all three and saves them 2.1M

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They are cap compliant as soon as they put Savard on LTIR. The moving of Boychuck is to help in case of other injuries. Bob McKenzie said they want a 2nd, a roster player and a prospect. The trade I suggested addresses all three and saves them 2.1M

Duh. Right, Savard. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

For the record, I'm on board with your 2nd/Gryba/Robinson proposal provided we can talk extension details with him before finalizing the deal. Not a fan of "Boychuck: The 8-month Rental", but very interested in the "Boychuck: 4 more years" version.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'd much rather have Johnny Boychuk.

I wish there was a way we could trade Methot, then send the return to Boston for Boychuk. Then sign him to the extension Methot is refusing.

If Methot is gone, I hope we try to sign Boychuk as a UFA this summer.

How about johnny boychuk

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Of note, the average annual salary can drop a hair, and still be better for the player, depending on how you spread it out.

If the Sens proposed it as a 5 year deal of 8 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 3, this would actually be preferred by the agent and player versus a 5 year deal that was 3 / 4 / 4 / 5 / 8, even though the second offer is slightly more money.

Term and average is not the only factor. Alfie's last contract with the team was heavily front loaded, with the last year at $1M, which made deal much better than the average annual salary, because Alfie could have retired on the last year, and seen his average annual salary jump substantially. And even if he didn't, he got most of the money right away, which with interest accrued over the term of the deal, will mean he has a lot more in his pocket 5 years later than the same money back-ended.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Of note, the average annual salary can drop a hair, and still be better for the player, depending on how you spread it out.

If the Sens proposed it as a 5 year deal of 8 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 3, this would actually be preferred by the agent and player versus a 5 year deal that was 3 / 4 / 4 / 5 / 8, even though the second offer is slightly more money.

Term and average is not the only factor. Alfie's last contract with the team was heavily front loaded, with the last year at $1M, which made deal much better than the average annual salary, because Alfie could have retired on the last year, and seen his average annual salary jump substantially. And even if he didn't, he got most of the money right away, which with interest accrued over the term of the deal, will mean he has a lot more in his pocket 5 years later than the same money back-ended.

Also to be considered are tax rates, and the "buy-out" provisions. If you have a front loaded contract, the impact of any buy-out is much less.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
And because he made it clear he wants to stay in Ottawa he is probably getting hardballed the most

Unfortunately I think you might be right. Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with Methot at 5. I have a bad feeling this is turning into a situation where both sides have planted themselves at a number and won't move out of principle.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Unfortunately I think you might be right. Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with Methot at 5. I have a bad feeling this is turning into a situation where both sides have planted themselves at a number and won't move out of principle.

it's not all about money, you don't think Methot is also asking a full NTC?

Unless I'm grossly mistaken, I believe Methot wants to stay/finish his career in Ottawa.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No need to rush things. Let's see if he looks like $5M kind of guy with Wiercioch on his side instead of Karlsson.

That's the real key here.

It's not like he had an all-star career before coming to Ottawa. Not trying to diss the guy, but aside from the lockout year everyone stepped up, there's not all that much to indicate he's one of those #2-3 tweeners. He's a solid #4 on a strong team, or a #3 with us.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Our D looks pretty bad on paper. If we lose Methot we are in big trouble.

Karlsson and Ceci are the only 2 top 4 we have. Tonight is a great test to see how good or bad our D really is. Habs are icing their top 2 lines (due respect to Eller) hope Cowen, Gryba, Borowiecki step it up. Wiercioch wont be playing apparently.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Boychuk is not slow, he's very mobile and solid defensively

He's basically Methot but better

i would be very skeptical when trading for boychuk (of course it depends on cost always) but as happy as the bruins were with him last year he was their whipping boy the year before and im sure there was a legitimate reason behind it

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was a key player in their run to the Cup in 2011 and the main reason they are looking at trading him is because of the cap not because they are unhappy with him

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
He was a key player in their run to the Cup in 2011 and the main reason they are looking at trading him is because of the cap not because they are unhappy with him

looking to trade him right now because of cap hit but iirc the fanbase and team was not happy with his play 2 years ago

maybe his play fluctuates or maybe im remembering it wrong but i could have sworn that was the case

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
looking to trade him right now because of cap hit but iirc the fanbase and team was not happy with his play 2 years ago

maybe his play fluctuates or maybe im remembering it wrong but i could have sworn that was the case

Could be a Cup hangover, too.

It's so easy to get a little lost after achieving the biggest goal in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad