Marc Methot

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Same. A back problem that didn't heal up over the summer after bothering him for lots of last season really worries me. This is a mistake waiting to happen if its a longterm contract. A stay at home dman with a bad back is not something to commit to long term.

And four years is still long term in my book, so Marky boy should take the money/term and run.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Is it possible he's asking for a NMC or NTC? If we sign him to a good deal then he could be trade bait to other teams.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
If I were the management, we would just keep the current offer on the table (4.6 X 4) and if he does not sign before 1st game of the regular season, then it is off the table. Then you wait and see how he plays and how the rest of the D plays and what his health situation is going to be throughout the season. If Cowen, Wiercioch, Boro clearly still suck, then no choice but to give Methot what he wants in the contract. If the D is ok, then you consider looking at the trade option.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Here is to hoping that i wake up tomorrow to the signing of Methot just like i woke up today to the signing of Ryan. :crossfing

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
Is it even possible that we get a deal here that pleases all parties? I'm more skeptical than ever considering most of our proverbial "luck" went towards the huge signing with Ryan...if the organization can pull this one off too then i'll be speechless.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Can we get an MS Paint rendition of this argument ?

DUggbes.png

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Is it even possible that we get a deal here that pleases all parties? I'm more skeptical than ever considering most of our proverbial "luck" went towards the huge signing with Ryan...if the organization can pull this one off too then i'll be speechless.

Yes.

Signing Methot would be the last stroke in a summer of management genius following Spezza's request to be traded after a season of pain and gain. A new core is locked down and poised to break out. A well-developed farm of excellent prospects are chomping at the bit for the opportunity to step up in the advent of an injury or trade.

We have many prospects competing for NHL jobs. There will be injuries. Many of those prospects will have their chance this season to shine.

We need Methot to help anchor our defense. Karlsson's Kaptaincy coupled with Ryan's shiny new 7(8) year committment will hopefully sway Methot's negotiations towards a mutual contractual agreement. On one level, he is our new Volchenkov with much greater mobility.

For the love of all that is Senator's good, I hope management signs him soon. =)

Lastly, this summer's success and direction might be the crowning achievement of Murray's tenure as the General Manager of the Ottawa Senators. I believe he has built this team to contend for the cup (a la Anaheim). I hope we can deliver it to him while he is still with the organization. The sens have a way to go and hopefully so does he with us.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
we still have him under contract for this year! We dont need him next year Cowan will be a top pairing guy. with weirchioch as 2LD

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
My guess at this point is if they are this close it's only a matter of time and probably just details. I'm thinking Methot wants a NTC to stay but Murray probably doesn't want to give him a NTC in the case iof young guys stepping up. The way Murray spoke about it yesterday, this will be done shortly.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Methot has to decide what matters more to him, the cash or staying here.

He can probably get more at UFA if he has a good season, but the Sens aren't going to go much higher.

I don't really blame him, his value will never be higher than it is roughly at this age, so this is his time for his "home run" contract.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
No need to rush things. Let's see if he looks like $5M kind of guy with Wiercioch on his side instead of Karlsson.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Jets fan here just wondering if a trade Involving Methot and Bogosian could work with some other pieces added on either side to fill team needs could work.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
5 years - 4.75M per with NTC is my guess

Well it would appear Kelly hasn't been truthful or Brennan published false information.

"That's a surprising comment," Kelly told the Sun. "His last offer was 4.7 (million) over five years, starting at 4.5, and our last offer was 5 (million) AAV (average annual salary), over five years, starting at 4.5."

Now if this is true, why would BM table a new offer with an AAV of $4.6M which would seem to be less than Kelly was claiming was already on the table??

IMO BM has decided Methot's value is in the neighbourhood of your number ($4.75M AAV) and either Methot signs for that or he will be traded before the end of the season.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
He won't IMO and didn't look like a $5M D-man last year when he was away from Karlsson.

to be fair everyone looked bad defensively last season

it would be interesting to see if the coach puts methot in on his opposite side however to get Weircioch in the lineup. Its a high risk proposal because it may upset methot but if he delivers and carries the second pairing he could get more than what it is being negotiated for now

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
$5M is too high, if they go any higher than 4.75 I hope term is 3 years on the extension. That makes him 33 at the end of the contract and that's a good age to re-assess anyway.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
$5M is too high, if they go any higher than 4.75 I hope term is 3 years on the extension. That makes him 33 at the end of the contract and that's a good age to re-assess anyway.

Maybe it's too high but would you give 250k more to Methot or to Phillips/Greening?

I think Mngt are afraid of Methot's intangibles.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
5 years - 4.75M per with NTC is my guess

Yes, but Modified No Trade (e.g., list of 10 teams not to be traded to) as there will not be any more handcuffing of management if a trade is requested, a la Dapper Dany Heatley!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad