Marc Methot - "The Sens Will End Up Regretting Zub's Contract - He'll End Up A Third Pairing Guy"

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The quote is paraphrased, but he's right that Zub has had a rough year. Thoughts?

A Senators ideal defence corp as Methot suggested would be excellent if the right UFAs were obtained:
Sanderson - UFA
Chabot - Chychrun
UFA/Kleven - Zub

The problem is that the cost for 2 UFAs to play on Pairs 1 and 3 would be high and the team likely could not afford such defencemen without reducing other salaries to be paid (e.g., not signing Debrincat, trading Joseph, using Forsberg and Sogaard in goal).

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A Senators ideal defence corp as Methot suggested would be excellent if the right UFAs were obtained:
Sanderson - UFA
Chabot - Chychrun
UFA/Kleven - Zub

The problem is that the cost for 2 UFAs to play on Pairs 1 and 3 would be high and the team likely could not afford such defencemen without reducing other salaries to be paid (e.g., not signing Debrincat, trading Joseph, using Forsberg and Sogaard in goal).
and only tackles the D as an area needing improvement. . I am not arguing his points, but I think the D can hold its own with the additions of Chychrun and Kleven (granted he may be sent down for contract reasons). The goal tending and 3rd line depth are not addressed at all. I personally would consider those more urgent to address.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
and only tackles the D as an area needing improvement. . I am not arguing his points, but I think the D can hold its own with the additions of Chychrun and Kleven (granted he may be sent down for contract reasons). The goal tending and 3rd line depth are not addressed at all. I personally would consider those more urgent to address.
Goaltending is certainly uncertain!

If the team would sign Formenton and run with Formenton-Pinto-Joseph I would be happy with the 3rd line.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Joseph would be OK at $1M but at $2.95M he is not performing to his salary.
That was pretty much as poorly as Joseph could play given the injuries, the odd healthy scratch when he was apparently ready to come back and the overall poor structure of the 3rd line thanks to Pinto moving up.

Might be Senators coloured glasses but I could see him having a very productive year with a decent LW and Pinto in the middle.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Methot is simply publicly campaigning to bring in a friend of his who wants to come here and happens to be a RD.

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
Similar to when he and other local media started talking about bringing in Brassard this past offseason. Suddenly, he was brought in on a PTO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That was pretty much as poorly as Joseph could play given the injuries, the odd healthy scratch when he was apparently ready to come back and the overall poor structure of the 3rd line thanks to Pinto moving up.

Might be Senators coloured glasses but I could see him having a very productive year with a decent LW and Pinto in the middle.
Have to reduce the "ifs" to the degree possible. We lean too heavily on too many ifs coming out our way we end up on the wrong side of them.,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Technically, Zub should be on the 3rd pair anyway. Go with chemistry and defensive efficiency

Chabot - Sanderson/Chychrun
Sanderson/Chychrun - JBD
Brannstrom - Zub

Roll them about equally at ES, give extra special units and game situations TOI accordingly so that Zub ends up as the #4, Brannstrom ends up as the #5 and JBD as the #6. The others are the Top-3

Can't invest more AAV on defense anyway, has to go to a 2nd guy to assist Forsberg and relocate DeBrincat's AAV on 2-way forwards (in the Connor/Nick mold)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Joseph might have a good year next season if the 3rd line is improved which it should be with Pinto. I hope Formenton signs or the team acquires someone who can augment Pinto and Joseph.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Have to reduce the "ifs" to the degree possible. We lean too heavily on too many ifs coming out our way we end up on the wrong side of them.,
Fair enough.

I do think injuries played a big part with our team this year due to our lack of depth and having guys slot in the right spots can have a positive impact.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Someone specific you have in mind?
erik-karlsson-wink.gif

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I thought Methot was suggesting a UFA, SJ going to buy out Karl to make it happen?

- Trade Debrincat for futures
- Trade futures acquired from Debrincat deal to trade for Karlsson at 20% retained
- Trade Chabot for Debrincat replacement
- Profit?

Ryan Reynolds is trying to get Gareth Bale to join Wrexham... big names get him excited...

deadpool-can.jpg

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Joseph, Brannstrom & Forsberg's salaries would help pay Hellebuyck's salary, Greig played for Brandon & might warrant some interest & Thomson is a right hand D with a big shot, the 2nd rd pick is more incentive for them. Formenton & Jarventie could also be pieces in a trade depending on what Winn wants.

To Winn: Joseph RW/LW, Forsberg G, (Brannstrom LD or Thomson RD), Greig C/LW & 2024 2nd
To Ott: Hellebuyck G

Tkachuk - Stutzle - DBC
Formenton - Norris - Giroux
Jarventie - Pinto - Batherson
Ostapchuck - Kastelic - Sokolov/Sabourin

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic

Hellebuyck - Sogaard

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Joseph started off in Ottawa with a bang as his few games with the team last season were VG. Since then I do not think he has been playing with the same quality of line-mates. He definitely has potential to be better due to his speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad