Marc Methot - "The Sens Will End Up Regretting Zub's Contract - He'll End Up A Third Pairing Guy"

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He's an ok player on an ok contract. Hard to generate any buzz with that sort of opinion though I guess.

Reactions: BondraTime

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Methot was a 5 who complimented Karlsson very well. Zub is a guy that people were saying could get 5-6M as a UFA before signing this deal (which was ridiculous at the high end but that's what was being said).

They're the same type of player with Methot being bigger and Zub having a bit more skill and cerebral game. Zub's current contract is a hair higher than Methot's was but smaller in proportion to the current salary cap.

I like Methot and view his extreme takes as click bait, but he's insulting himself if he states that Zub is an overpaid 3rd pairing guy because they played the same role. How many top 4 guys not named Methot typically get about 10 points a season? Yeah, I know it's not about the points for either of these guys, but you have to produce SOMETHING. The guy was on the ice with Karlsson for his entire 5 year tenure with Ottawa and still couldn't get many points by osmosis. And Zub has been a plus player on this minus laden team the whole time he's been here.

I bet Methot loves Hamonic.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Very few teams have 4 legit no questions asked top 4 D. Ottawa has at the very least 3, and another guy who doesn't look out of place there.

I think they're in good shape. And if some youngster comes up at plats Zub into the bottom pair... fantastic!

Emerica

May 29, 2010
People get too caught up with line numbers all the time. Even if he does end up in the 3rd pairing he is worth that contract for sure.

Even if we needed to turn around and flip him there would be many teams interested at his price but i don’t see this happening. Dude had an injury riddled season and wasn’t ever able to get in a groove, i have no worries about him

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
There are two things to consider imo;

1. Had we waited for Zub to play out the season before signing him we likely would have saved on term as he was injured. Unpredictable, but you could argue that was a likely outcome for a defensive D-man.

2. His cap hit could hinder our ability fo sign DeBrincat, and personally I’d take DeBrincat at 9.2 over Zub at 4.6 any and every day.

Meth is neither right or wrong at this point but if Zub’s play continues to trend down (very unlikely) he will become a problem in terms of roster construction.

Ya ill take Zub at 4.6 over Cat at 9.2 any day.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's a bit of clickbait, is it not?

The entire conversation centers around bringing in a legit first pairing RD and putting Chychrun on the 2RD spot and pushing Zub down to third pairing.

Reactions: bert

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
When did he make the Giroux take?
Last summer before giroux came here. Actually I think I confused his take w someone else’s. Meths take maybe wasn’t about being good in the room, but didn’t have anything left in the tank, wasn’t a fit for the team? Whatever it was, I remember G called him on it when he went on
the Wally meth podcast. Methot was backpedaling hard. Bad take.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The contract is 4.6M

Things would have to go extremely bad for any serious regrets. This isn't a contract that should ever make or break a team.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Zub is our best shut down defender. He isn't the most physical guy, but he uses his IQ, stickwork and positioning to do that. He's Chabot's best partner right now and without him we have to force othr guys to change their playstyle.

Meth is saying this for clicks.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think Methot is overrating the strength required from your 4th defenseman to make the playoffs. Zub would easily be at least the #4 dman on at least half of the playoff teams this year. He will look way better next year with the minutes being spread out on the blueline. For the first time in forever, we will have 6 guys who can actually play minutes.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
There are two things to consider imo;

1. Had we waited for Zub to play out the season before signing him we likely would have saved on term as he was injured. Unpredictable, but you could argue that was a likely outcome for a defensive D-man.

2. His cap hit could hinder our ability fo sign DeBrincat, and personally I’d take DeBrincat at 9.2 over Zub at 4.6 any and every day.

Meth is neither right or wrong at this point but if Zub’s play continues to trend down (very unlikely) he will become a problem in terms of roster construction.
Debrincat at 9.2 could be a heavy anchor to pull along if he doesn't improve alot from this season. I don't see the same risk with Zub. What happened to everyone on here who said it was a great signing a few months ago. If healthy next season I hope and believe Zub will play at a level that warrants his contract!

Reactions: R We A Team

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Methot was a 5 who complimented Karlsson very well. Zub is a guy that people were saying could get 5-6M as a UFA before signing this deal (which was ridiculous at the high end but that's what was being said).
Weird take when you consider that in today's money the last contract we gave Methot was close to a 6mil x 4 year deal.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Weird take when you consider that in today's money the last contract we gave Methot was close to a 6mil x 4 year deal.

When you have something that works well you overpay for it. Methot paired well with Karlsson and that's pretty much all I can say about him as a player.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Marc Methot had his finger slashed off by a Sidney Crosby cheap shot and he came back during the same game.

He was one of the hardest defencemen to play against for half a decade in the league.

You guys and your short memories. :laugh:

And seeing as this is a Zub discussion, I believe Zub could be the superior player, but he will have to rely more on his hockey IQ and offensive contributions as he will never be the physical presence Meth was.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just can’t get on board the Methot profile - he’s such a baby always complaining about fans. Opinions, the internet - he’s your classic privilege grievance machine.

I found his hits on LOSP kinda dumb. They are a site that loves their fans and is for the hardcore fan and Methot comes on and regularly shits on the hockey freaks who post trade rumours and talk random shit about hockey top to bottom. Anyways I feel the boys tolerate the hit to their brand for the sack of celebrity which is bad for any brand

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When you have something that works well you overpay for it. Methot paired well with Karlsson and that's pretty much all I can say about him as a player.
This idea that all he was is a suitable partner for Karlsson is nonsense. He went pretty much the whole lockout year without Karlsson when cooke sliced him and was carrying Gryba, he was a very effective defensive defensman with or without Karlsson,

Methot worked well because he was a good player,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad