Marc Methot - "The Sens Will End Up Regretting Zub's Contract - He'll End Up A Third Pairing Guy"

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Zub missed 29 games this yr with injury & could have been hurt most of the yr. I assume he will bounce back next yr, but let's not kid ourselves he would be a good 3rd pairing D if we had a top 4 right shot D who was better.

We have at the moment 5 guys who are basically 3rd pairing D & they need at least one to be a top 4 D on the right side. IMO JBD has the potential to play on the right side with Sanderson, but how long it will take him to be that good remains to be seen.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Meth stirring it up.

Zub missed 29 games this yr with injury & could have been hurt most of the yr. I assume he will bounce back next yr, but let's not kid ourselves he would be a good 3rd pairing D if we had a top 4 right shot D who was better.

We have at the moment 5 guys who are basically 3rd pairing D & they need at least one to be a top 4 D on the right side. IMO JBD has the potential to play on the right side with Sanderson, but how long it will take him to be that good remains to be seen.
We have 4 top 4 D including Zub.

Reactions: Snowwy

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Meh even if he is a 3rd pairing guy going forward I still don't hate the contract. 3 years left at 4.6M for an above-average 3rd pairing guy who plays arguably the highest value position in the league and has shown he's capable of filling in very well on any of the first two pairs is still a pretty solid contract IMO.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I haven't listened to the podcast, will get to it later, but...

Who does Methot having pushing Zub out of the top 4??? He's already arranged for the Uber to drive Brannstrom to the airport, does he thing JBD or Thomson is pushing Zub out?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I haven't listened to the podcast, will get to it later, but...

Who does Methot having pushing Zub out of the top 4??? He's already arranged for the Uber to drive Brannstrom to the airport, does he thing JBD or Thomson is pushing Zub out?
UFA although not sure how they can afford it if they are planning on re-signing DBC. Severson IMO makes some sense, but whether we can afford him or not is unknown or whether NJD re-sign him is also possible. I doubt they go in this direction & stick with what they have for another yr on D to see how they play out or at least to the TDL.

Chabot - Severson
Sanderson - Chychrun
Kleven - Zub/JBD

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah... not interested in what Methot has to say after he has shown he has it in for Brann and didn't know he played PK. Yet he lists one of those reasons for disliking Brann.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Zub isn’t as good as some here were saying but he’s not a bottom pairing guy. Sanderson Zub will be our shutdown pairing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I view Zub as a 2nd-3rd pair Defenceman.

He can play at #4 but I would like to have a better #4 Defenceman who can play more physically, skate the puck out of the D zone and handle the puck better. At $4.6M he is being paid top 4 D dollars.

Fortunately we have Chabot, Sanderson and Chychrun in our top 4 D who I think are better than Zub.

I agree with Marc that our D would and could be even stronger if we could get another top 4 D as UFA. The problem will be the salary cap and budget because we have other needs to become a playoff bound team (goaltending, signing Debrincat, improving the bottom 6 forwards, improving the goaltending). It is doubtful we can solve all of those issues with our salary cap room and internal budget.

Reactions: swiftwin

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He has 2 UFA's mentioned in his defensemen roster including a 1st pair RD. That's setting the bar pretty high when it comes off-season acquisitions. And we likely need a goalie and have some cap constraints.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Lol Zub is a better player than Methot ever was.
No way. Methot was bigger, more physical and had a much better bomb from the point.

Zub is an excellent 5/6 but slightly below average 3/4. He isn't skilled enough with the puck. His puck handling and playmaking leave a lot to be desired.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Never thought Methot's opinions on defensemen would be so awful.

He originally really liked Zub.

However as Methot becomes more of a media personality. He will need to generate these edgy/hot/clickbait takes to get discussion going around his name.

---
Anyways I think Zub is fine. He is clearly a top 4 D on most NHL rosters. His job is to shut down and allow his partner to play free. Zub and Sanderson were the best pairing the Sens iced this season. I am sure the analytic guys can bring up their fancy charts and numbers to support that claim.

Zub was also a part of our best pairing the previous year. Zub was injured a lot this year. We don't know how hurt he was playing. He looked really dominant at the start of the season.

Could he be another Russian guy who turns it down after getting paid? Its possible? but why not perform at your best at your job especially when there will be an opportunity for another contract down the line and you current earnings aren't even 67% guaranteed?

Will twitter fans/HFers ignore all of this and say Zub is shit? Absolutely. Its a great way to get attention.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Lol Zub is a better player than Methot ever was.
I would say they are at the same level.

Methot played with a more experienced roster and one of the best dmen to ever play the game. Zub is playing on a team growing into it.

Methot was the one player when he was on the ice I was not stressing of being scored against. That is rare. The only other player to have done that was Zub although he took a step back from it a little this year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No way. Methot was bigger, more physical and had a much better bomb from the point.

Zub is an excellent 5/6 but slightly below average 3/4. He isn't skilled enough with the puck. His puck handling and playmaking leave a lot to be desired.
Methot was bigger and definitely laid bigger hits, but much better bomb from the point? Not really. Nostalgia seems to be clouding your judgement on that one imo.

I'd still take peak methot over Zub because I think he was more consistent as a shut down defender, and his big hip checks could change the tone, but if Zub isn't skilled enough handling the puck and his playmaking leaves a lot to be desired then what is Methot?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Methot is just a hater and troll being critical of Dorion's roster construction. ;)

I would not hide behind my key board and vilely accuse him of posting miserable vomit or hating on strangers though. That would be repulsive.:nono:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SweSensFan

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Wow, how quickly people here forget.

Zub is a legit top 4 Defender - when not hurt; just look at his body of work before this season. He struggled with injuries all year and who knows if he was ever fully healthy at all this season. If he struggles again next year, then sure we can have that conversation. Until then, he has proven he can play top 4 any where in the league.

Don't forget about all the GMs that were calling about acquiring him over the last two years. Most 5/6 guys don't have multiple GM's knocking on the door about them.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
There are two things to consider imo;

1. Had we waited for Zub to play out the season before signing him we likely would have saved on term as he was injured. Unpredictable, but you could argue that was a likely outcome for a defensive D-man.

2. His cap hit could hinder our ability fo sign DeBrincat, and personally I’d take DeBrincat at 9.2 over Zub at 4.6 any and every day.

Meth is neither right or wrong at this point but if Zub’s play continues to trend down (very unlikely) he will become a problem in terms of roster construction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad