Marc Methot II: Wheel of Fortune Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Teams are scared of long term contracts as it is now then you had a player who has had back issues that make the deal even more risky.

Usually they just don't want to be first, once the first insane contract comes out they usually flood the market with them. This is how it has gone down recently in FA. Imo it will get much worse before it gets better. Wouldn't be shocked to see MM land a max term deal if he hits UFA because well most teams with money can't help themselves.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The whole instability of the Canadian dollar long term really changes things, as well. The cap likely won't be jumping upwards like it used to. That's going to scare off a couple of the big spenders and others that are already bumping the ceiling.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Too bad it's inconceivable to think this franchise could sign BOTH Methot and Sekera...

I think we'll try, but he will go to the highest bidder, which we won't be. Murray and management, I hope, are not dumb, are they? I'll say they are if they don't sign Methot, I know it's a business but we have nothing to replace him, and I love him, I'd be pissed.

Methot-Karlsson
Sekera-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba/Boro

Is good if you ask me.

Karlsson2Turris*

I think we'll try, but he will go to the highest bidder, which we won't be. Murray and management, I hope, are not dumb, are they? I'll say they are if they don't sign Methot, I know it's a business but we have nothing to replace him, and I love him, I'd be pissed.

Methot-Karlsson
Sekera-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba/Boro

Is good if you ask me.

That's really good if you ask me. 4 guys who are legit top 4's plus a solid shutdown pairing.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Methot-Karlsson
Sekera-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba/Boro

Is good if you ask me.

That D corps actually looks legit. To me that means if we can resign Methot and somehow get one more good defenseman life won't be all that bad.

Easier said than done probably.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If we end up with Karlsson, Ceci, and a group of AHL level players I'm sure the argument down the road will still be that there was no one available to spend money on.

That's usually how it goes

"We didn't sign anyone because everyone we wanted went to another team"

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How can you let the guy go when your captain says things like this...

"He's a big part of our team," said Karlsson. "Guys like him, even though he doesn't put up tons of points every year ... he's important to have. He's a veteran and he plays hard every night. Obviously, he's a major key to my success as well. We've been playing together for a while, and been playing really good with him. Obviously, if he goes for whatever reason, it's going to hurt not only the team. but me, as well."

It wouldn't look too good.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

100% agree. Karlsson is saying read between the lines to Murray/Melnyk and get the damn deal done.

If he gets traded at the deadline, It's going to send the biggest message to the players that this ownership/management group is not committed to icing a winning team (unless it fits within a strict budget).

Letting go of Methot will be a huge step back. And the guy WANTS to be in Ottawa FFS. We can't afford to **** this one up....

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Definitely a clear message. It's a bit concerning....how many good players will Karlsson see walk away from the team before he decides to do the same?

At the same time....that back. If we sign Methot long-term and that back screws him up for the rest of his playing career, then what do we do?

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Put him on long term IR and use the cap space for someone else. Man it would be nice to have don't give a crap about spending Melnyk back.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Put him on long term IR and use the cap space for someone else. Man it would be nice to have don't give a crap about spending Melnyk back.

If a guy is still cleared to play 40, 50 or 60 games a year, it's doubtful you'd be able to do that. Then you're stuck making a desperation trade or promoting a kid up from Bingo before he's ready.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If a guy is still cleared to play 40, 50 or 60 games a year, it's doubtful you'd be able to do that. Then you're stuck making a desperation trade or promoting a kid up from Bingo before he's ready.

I'll take 50 or 60 a year as opposed to not having Methot at all. Maybe he actually gets healthier as well. I remember Fisher having a groin injury like every year and then they finally stopped.

Plus who doesn't have a bad back? That's pretty much life.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Definitely a clear message. It's a bit concerning....how many good players will Karlsson see walk away from the team before he decides to do the same?

At the same time....that back. If we sign Methot long-term and that back screws him up for the rest of his playing career, then what do we do?

It would be more concerning to me if Karlsson, especially as the captain of our team and Methots d partner, didn't vocally support him and urge management in whatever way he can to keep Methot here.

Someone has to urge Melnyk to spend some more money, might as well be the face of our franchise.

He's a competitor, he wants to win, and I highly doubt he stays with us forever if we start (or rather continue) to let our best players walk come renewal time.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Usually they just don't want to be first, once the first insane contract comes out they usually flood the market with them. This is how it has gone down recently in FA. Imo it will get much worse before it gets better. Wouldn't be shocked to see MM land a max term deal if he hits UFA because well most teams with money can't help themselves.

Its the term he will have issue getting if he goes to free agency I can see him ending up with a 3 year deal.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Methot-Karlsson
Sekera-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba/Boro

Is good if you ask me.

Cowen is not a 3rd pairing D, as much as people here crap on him. There have been calls from other teams showing interest in Cowen. Meaning he has value beyond what some of our fans believe. Cowen is starting to come into his own and we will need him in the coming seasons, as we will need Methot. Now imagine Cowen-Ceci once they've really developed on our second line.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Cowen is not a 3rd pairing D, as much as people here crap on him. There have been calls from other teams showing interest in Cowen. Meaning he has value beyond what some of our fans believe. Cowen is starting to come into his own and we will need him in the coming seasons, as we will need Methot. Now imagine Cowen-Ceci once they've really developed on our second line.

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad