Marc Bergevin: Tilting at Windmills Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If you're going to write anything to your season ticket base, you have to assume that privacy will not be certain.

To wit, there has been several similar perk-type communication intended for season ticket holders that is routinely divulged on the internets. If I were heading the Habs PR Dept., I would not assume that anything written at large to a segment of the fanbase will remain for internal consumption only. Hence the impetus to choose one's wording carefully.
I agree it should've been worded without the "most precious" reference: "As a big thank-you for being one of our valuable season ticket holders, you're invited to an exclusive event at the Bell Centre..."

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree it should've been worded without the "most precious" reference: "As a big thank-you for being one of our valuable season ticket holders, you're invited to an exclusive event at the Bell Centre..."

Well put. So simple yet so effective and does away with alternate interpretations altogether. Wordsmithery combined with common sense -- The LShap Method.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't see it that way.

If I'm buying season tickets, I'll expect the red carpet treatment compared to other fans.

As someone who doesn't buy season tickets, I don't feel offended by this in the least.

And maybe I'm not shocked because I don't expect any better from Molson.

Also your inference of 'tiered fans' is a leap. If questioned about this, Habs would quite probably say something along the lines of, all our fans are important to us, but we want to give a special thanks to season ticket holders.

It's all PR philosophy anyway. Not any different than anywhere else in the corporate world.

Disagree.

Terrible PR move for abrand like the Habs, whose revenue I suspect is significantly made up of dollars& eyeballs that aren't season ticket holders, to undervalue or devalue that segment of their clientele.

Luxury brands have the, luxury, of playing that card, but that's because they sell a small number of high margin products.

While the 40 games of ticket revenue is important, the millions and millions in revenue non-season ticket holders generate for a pro sport team would be foolish to undermine.

It was a poorly worded release that shows very poor PR/Marketing saavy... Under Gillette (and the talent he brought in, led by Kevin Gilmore), the Habs were much better in this department.

Reactions: Runner77

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Honestly I think that this is a moot point, some 99% of the fans are not reading the fine print at all.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Hey BTW Bergie

NimbleDizzyFennecfox-size_restricted.gif

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I got say though, this is a corporate philosophy which is conventional. People who buy the season tickets, shell out the most money. It's normal to make your most valued customers feel like they are the most valued costumers. You kinda put a lot of weight into your own conclusion. Seeing them as their most valued costumers doesn't automatically preclude they see the rest as far inferior.

Not the way Lowe put it anyway. That was a PR nightmare.

No doubt. Everyone knows that, but that's not how you present it and you definitely don't do it by making the rest feel less ''precious''. It's such a faux pas.
The season ticket holders know they're the VIPs, so you use words like ''exclusive'' and ''vip''.
You never want to promote one type of fan while making the rest feel less important and in that memo they flat out wrote ''most precious'', making everyone else ''less precious'', it's that simple.

Just another example of a terribly run organization.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't see it that way.

If I'm buying season tickets, I'll expect the red carpet treatment compared to other fans.

As someone who doesn't buy season tickets, I don't feel offended by this in the least.

And maybe I'm not shocked because I don't expect any better from Molson.

Also your inference of 'tiered fans' is a leap. If questioned about this, Habs would quite probably say something along the lines of, all our fans are important to us, but we want to give a special thanks to season ticket holders.

It's all PR philosophy anyway. Not any different than anywhere else in the corporate world.

Of course, and you feel that way because you dished out a large sum of cash, not because you are a bigger or more valued fan.
It's just a poor choice of word, whether you agree with it or not, it's open to different interpretations and you don't want that.

Reactions: Runner77

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Spent the last 5 days visiting relatives in La Malbaie Quebec. Sitting around a camp fire with die hard Habs and Nordique fans I was amazed at how every single Habs fan had lost total interest in the team and had pretty much moved on. Sad to watch this institution become this broken.
I'll be seeing the sequel to this up in French River ontario. Good thing I am bringing lots of booze.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I'll be seeing the sequel to this up in French River ontario. Good thing I am bringing lots of booze.

Hopefully you won't be near Parry Sound 33 forest fire.... its pretty brutal.

I love the French R. grew up in P.sound so we would go camping on it alot.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Hopefully you won't be near Parry Sound 33 forest fire.... its pretty brutal.

I love the French R. grew up in P.sound so we would go camping on it alot.
Yeah we have been in touch with her family, Noelville is fairly safe ATM. We were worried about not being able to go because of the fires. Stay safe.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Cheers Doc. Remember the words of the cinematic Doc.

One of my favourite films. Val Kilmer at his absolute best with so many quotable lines.

I can't imagine how boring this season will be. We aren't even starting with our 'best" players. No Byron, Shaw, Weber...bahaha just hope patches gets an injury is then untradable. Would be the cherry on top with us still finishing 17th OA with price standing on his head....

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
Top ten pick is not the same as a lottery pick. The year matters too. And a #1 on a good year can be worth so much more than a #1 in a bad draft year.

Well obviously... that wasn’t the point of my post though.

I was replying to the person who used the Caps as an example of a team that was bad for a long time and that was the reason they were competitive.

Using that same concept, I showed the Habs were actually worse than the Caps since the lockout. The only difference is that they didn’t get a #1 pick... however one could make the argument that they got the 2nd best player in 2005 with Carey Price.

And yet, here we are. This shows that no matter your tanking/drafting, a poor GM can still ruin your team. Exhibit A, the Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well put. So simple yet so effective and does away with alternate interpretations altogether. Wordsmithery combined with common sense -- The LShap Method.

You'd think someone on a 6 figure salary who's job is information and promotion would have a freakin clue. Clearly the team gets all their hires from the same shady agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad