Marc Bergevin: Tilting at Windmills Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What is this, a "summit" at the BC for season ticket holders? I'll be darned ...

hockey30-2018-08-07-%C3%A0-20.47.04.png

Text says it's an exclusive invitation to present next season's novelties. They'll be able to interact with past and present Habs, Youppi! and participate at a question and answer session with the three stooges, Molson, Bergevin and Julien.

And now for the pièce de résistance ... our new hotdogs!!!! Did we mention our soon to be bottled Marijuana beer?

If I had season tickets, I'd attend the q&a with a bag over my head... Then again, I wouldn't be crazy enough to keep feeding Geoff's wallet in exchange for such a mediocre product.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
One would think a golden boy wouldn't start the season on the 4th line wing and always get crapped on lol

One would think a golden boy would be gift wrapped 1C despite never producing there before and having the french/Coaches Son Card and not being crapped on despite a worst performance than said previously player lol

He's not suggesting Galchenyuk was anyone's Golden Boy outside of a large number of the Anti-Bergevin posters here; certainly not Therrien's, Julien's or Bergevin's.

It's a dig at the posters who still have a soul and obviously at Galchenyuk as well.

Business as usual from a usual suspect.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What is this, a "summit" at the BC for season ticket holders? I'll be darned ...

hockey30-2018-08-07-%C3%A0-20.47.04.png

Text says it's an exclusive invitation to present next season's novelties. They'll be able to interact with past and present Habs, Youppi! and participate at a question and answer session with the three stooges, Molson, Bergevin and Julien.

And now for the pièce de résistance ... our new hotdogs!!!! Did we mention our soon to be bottled Marijuana beer?
Did they really just labeled their season ticket holders as their most valuable and previous fans?...
So everyone else is...."meh" fans?
Loll this organization can't even promote a simple event properly...
They are so bad.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Wow, I like seeing Lars with the cup and all but does this tweet from Stubbs come across as a little gay?

No... I'm not seeing it at all with respect to any "gay"

Good for Lars, nice to see him live up to his potential.

But don't worry Shawzee still has one more then Lars... so don't bother posting about how Lars is better.... maybe if Lars repeats his cup win and has two rings then we can finally discuss lars vs shawzee on a level playing field.... you know apples to apples :nod:

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wow, I like seeing Lars with the cup and all but does this tweet from Stubbs come across as a little gay?

What I'd really like to see is Lars and the rest of the better players Bergevin traded away in the following lineup in October. He really wrecked this team:

Scherbak-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Hudon-Eller-Lehkonen
Armia-Plekanec-Byron
Deslauriers, DLR

Markov-Subban
Sergachev-Petry
Mete/Benn-Juulsen
Reilly, Oullette

Price
Niemi
(Lindgren in Laval)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What I'd really like to see is Lars and the rest of the better players Bergevin traded away in the following lineup in October. He really wrecked this team:

Hudon-Eller-Lehkonen
Armia-Plekanec-Byron
Deslauriers, DLR

Markov-Subban
Sergachev-Petry
Mete/Benn-Juulsen
Reilly, Oullette

Price
Niemi
(Lindgren in Laval)

Lets say everything goes our way and our roster looks like what you show.. Do you think that roster wins a cup? I actually like the fact that we are a bottom of the league type team and I hope we get more top 5 picks and a possible lottery pick win

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lets say everything goes our way and our roster looks like what you show.. Do you think that roster wins a cup? I actually like the fact that we are a bottom of the league type team and I hope we get more top 5 picks and a possible lottery pick win

Yes, I do think we can contend with that roster. Subban, Price, Pacioretty, and Radulov are all stars. I think Gallagher is now a star, entering his prime after coming back from injuries that made him look not as good he is (( he just scored 30 playing with Plekanec 3/4 of the year). Scherbak, Galchenyuk and Radulov, are you kidding me. Both Galchenyuk and Scherbak could emerge as stars on that line. There's a reason we went to the conference finals in 2014. The weak link could be Markov. It depends how much he would have left. Also, would depend on how ready Sergachev is.

And if you notice, all I did was take out the non-bargain-bin moves. Bergevin's good in the baragain bin (perhaps the only trade he lost was Pateryn and a 4th for Benn). It's just his big moves that are all horrendous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, I do think we can contend with that roster. Subban, Price, Pacioretty, and Radulov are all stars. I think Gallagher is now a star, entering his prime after coming back from injuries that made him look not as good he is (( he just scored 30 playing with Plekanec 3/4 of the year). Scherbak, Galchenyuk and Radulov, are you kidding me. Both Galchenyuk and Scherbak could emerge as stars on that line. There's a reason we went to the conference finals in 2014. The weak link could be Markov. It depends how much he would have left. Also, would depend on how ready Sergachev is.

And if you notice, all I did was take out the non-bargain-bin moves. Bergevin's good in the baragain bin (perhaps the only trade he lost was Pateryn and a 4th for Benn). It's just his big moves that are all horrendous.

Were not going to win a cup with Galchenyuk and Danault as out top 2 centers. But it's a much better roster vs anything we had in the last decade though.

No doubt Bergevin has been active on the trade market in both trading high end talent and depth moves. He has tinkered with various options and I think he is not very good at managing elite level talent. My point however, is I rather not be cup pretender and I like how we have youth movement. I want more of it (with Bergevin as our GM or not)

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
BTW guys,

1) Nearly all teams have had lottery picks in the past two decades;
2) Nearly all (all?) cap-era Cup Champs have included lottery picks or the players acquired with lottery picks.

So it's extremely lazy and uninformative to say that a particular team is only good because of tanking.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Were not going to win a cup with Galchenyuk and Danault as out top 2 centers. But it's a much better roster vs anything we had in the last decade though.

No doubt Bergevin has been active on the trade market in both trading high end talent and depth moves. He has tinkered with various options and I think he is not very good at managing elite level talent. My point however, is I rather not be cup pretender and I like how we have youth movement. I want more of it (with Bergevin as our GM or not)

I also would rather be a contender than a team that makes the playoffs and loses in the first or second round.

I just think Subban, Price, Pacioretty, and Radulov are elite at what they do. And that's enough to contend with, when you have a good supporting cast of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Danault, Markov, Petry, etc...

I know you and perhaps 75 to 90 percent of people are of the mind that we need an elite center to contend. I think the fact that Radulov plays like a big elite center in the offensive zone and Danault in the defensive zone creates at least one line that is a true a first line. I get that it's a long debate, but that's my view. Secondly, Galchenyuk would have to have or be on track to learn the 200 foot game. That's not a guarantee. But if he had been groomed to do so and failed by now, I think there's a strong chance Statsny signs with us this off season with a stronger lineup. He listened, but no doubt couldn't have been impressed with our roster.

Also, remember, Vegas (with Marchessault and Alex Tuck as their top 2 centers) beat the Kings (with MVP candidate Kopitar and Carter), the Sharks (with Couture, Pavelski, Hertl), and the Jets (with Scheiffle and Statsny). Center isn't everything. Having great centers is huge, as past stanley cup winners have shown. But I think the way around it is if you have guys like Radulov, Patrick Kane that drive play from the wing. They basically play like centers. Radulov's effect on the game and the team by his leadership and contagious no quit attitude is still underrated imo.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Good morning Marc

Love Lars.

I also really like that Stubbs really forms relationships with players. Some might argue that makes him biased, and they're not wrong, but it also gives him particularly fascinating content and makes it a joy to read his work when you know he is genuinely interested and cares for the players he speaks with. He just comes across as a genuine guy who loves his job and produces good stories. Also, the bow tie. Wish more were like him in the media.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
BTW guys,

1) Nearly all teams have had lottery picks in the past two decades;
2) Nearly all (all?) cap-era Cup Champs have included lottery picks or the players acquired with lottery picks.

So it's extremely lazy and uninformative to say that a particular team is only good because of tanking.
Teams that have won the majority of cups Penguins and Hawks were bad for a long time and got their main core pieces because of tanking.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Hudon-Eller-Lehkonen
Armia-Plekanec-Byron
Deslauriers, DLR

Markov-Subban
Sergachev-Petry
Mete/Benn-Juulsen
Reilly, Oullette

Price
Niemi
(Lindgren in Laval)

Yes, and Poehling would like still be in the system given he was a 25th OA pick.

To borrow a phrase, First do no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad