Marc Bergevin: Tilting at Windmills Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Two words for you...John...Gibson. It will be at least another decade before any goalie even comes close to making more than Carey Price. Five years later and Subban is still the highest paid defenseman in the league.

This season will actually be the first year Subban will be the highest paid dman. Before this season Weber was the highest paid dman. And it will probably be the only one as Doughty and Karlsson are due for a raise the following season and should have a higher salary than Subban.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You could be right. No way to know yet. Keep in mind Bobrovsky is currently earning $7.425M, so his next contract could bump him up in the $9M+ range (at least I hope so). If in a year the difference between Price and Bob shrinks to approx $1M, comparisons would be based on performance rather than insane cap hit.

As you said, a lot depends on the next round of goalie contracts.

Don't think it'll take nearly that long to match Price's salary, but I guess we'll see. Gibson isn't in the top tier, but Holtby is, and his contract is up in two years.

And Doughty has leapfrogged Subban, so you never know...

I'd be curious to see the #'s on cap era playoff semi-finalists (last 4), and goalie cap %...

I think someone pulled up some numbers suggesting no finals team has ever had a goalie making a similar cap% as Price, guessing same applies to final 4.

With stats taking greater and greater space in GM decision-making, that will likely dampen the goalie pay days moving forward, with desperation situations being the exceptions (not unlike the RB situation in the NFL).

Price will likely become a bit of the bell weather.... Either he proves MB "right", and drives up the elite goalie value by leading our team to contention in the front half of his deal... Or, he (or the team) falters/lives up to realistic expectations, remains a middling PO bubble team, and his deal becomes the lesson other GM's use to justify not paying market premiums for UFA goalies.

I think the latter is, unfortunately more likely, but hoping that 3-4years from now hindsight proves me wrong

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You could be right. No way to know yet. Keep in mind Bobrovsky is currently earning $7.425M, so his next contract could bump him up in the $9M+ range (at least I hope so). If in a year the difference between Price and Bob shrinks to approx $1M, comparisons would be based on performance rather than insane cap hit.

As you said, a lot depends on the next round of goalie contracts.

Don't think it'll take nearly that long to match Price's salary, but I guess we'll see. Gibson isn't in the top tier, but Holtby is, and his contract is up in two years.

And Doughty has leapfrogged Subban, so you never know...

As will Karlsson and many others in seasons to come. Salaries are linked directly to the cap.

Reactions: DAChampion

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Is Chayka regarded as a weak, middling, or good GM?

It's plausible that the Bergevin deliberately traded Galchenyuk to a bad team in the hope that he wouldn't improve and thus embarrass him.

That is sad and pathetic, and we'd never suspect that of a professional GM.

I'd say he a mid tier still, a lot of dinosaurs like to come in and say he made bad trades but I don't see it. He finally went for it getting Stepan, and Raanta from the New York Rangers in exchange for Deangelo, and the 2017 7th overall draft pick(Lias Andersson). D core is pretty nice. They are an interesting team to watch a healthy Raanta can push them pretty far IMO.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/john-chayka-chronology.2087173/ Arizona has a good thread on his work so far.

He seems like one of those guys who loves to get value anywhere you can.

Bergevin will be proven wrong.

Firstly it's really sad that Arizona is not a cap spending team. Not sure who's bright idea it was to put a hockey team in the desert while cities like Quebec keep getting snuffed.

That being said, I am rooting for Arizona for obvious reasons. I think the Yotes have the pieces to help Galchenyuk succeed if they choose to and can be their best center like he was with the habs for stretches at a time. The acquisition of Galch has undoubtedly made their team better and he will help them on the PP which was not very good last year. That being said, Arizona is a strange case as they literally were the 10th best team in the league in the later part of the season so they proved they can play good hockey. Will that be enough to get them into the playoffs next year? As a homer I'd say it might, but as a conservative opinion it would be fair to say that they will be improved. Dallas for example is a team with some very very good pieces that just can't seem to get it together mainly in part because of how fierce the competition is out west. Vegas is another team that we have no idea how far they will crash next year.

As for Chayka, he seems to be a get it done guy. The team needed a center, he went out and got one... or three. The team needed a goalie, he did not mess around with Dominguez.. he went out and got one.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So who's liable to pass us over now, Buffalo, Arizona?

The only team I see dwindling lower than us is Ottawa, and I'm crossing my fingers Karlsson plays for them and for his next contract at least till TDL.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
So who's liable to pass us over now, Buffalo, Arizona?

The only team I see dwindling lower than us is Ottawa, and I'm crossing my fingers Karlsson plays for them and for his next contract at least till TDL.

The tank is strong with Ottawa, that's about it. Every other team will be better than the habs.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I find this a very interesting topic. As I recall. I believe your observations of Chucky are correct, and I'm only referring to Chucky as he was playing centre.

I guess my question is what type of play exactly defines a centre ?

I mean personally I like a guy who can play both ends of the ice. But if he cant , he not a legitimate centre ?

As an extreme, I look at Gretzky, and this is an extreme. He wasn't awful defensively but he did not have a good 200 foot game. But so what ? His line could generate 3-4 goals a game. They might have given up a lot of goals ( I read someplace Gretzky holds the record for most ES goals against with something close to 2300 ) but the positive was much, much greater than the negative.

But according to the Habs view, if you cant play a 200 foot game you are not a centre ( DD excepted ).

So there is only one Gretzky , but why is it if you have an offensive centre who is weak defensively, why is it not possible for him to be a centre if the overall positive outweighs the negative ?

Why is it that the reverse doesn't hold true ? I mean what if a guy is strong defensively but weak offensively, can he still be a centre on the top 6 ? MB reportedly went after Nick Bonino this summer, a 25 to 35 point player. I mean he wasn't going to play bottom 6 was he ? Why is he considered a good enough centre for us ?

Do real quarterbacks have to stay in the pocket ? Do they have to be able to scramble ? Does it matter as long as they are effective ?

MB said just because a guy can score 80 points doesn't mean he is a centre. Well okay, I agree. But if that player makes a positive overall contribution to the team when playing centre, why isnt he then ?

Absolutes are usually absolutely wrong. Just saying.

I agree with you. If a purely offensive player, let's say, has a clearly positive net goal differential influence on the team, they should still be allowed to ply their trade freely. Unfortunately, with Galchenyuk at C, that wasn't usually the case and he had to be given sheltered minutes, except for the end of a lost cause of a season where he scored 30 goals.

Let me break it down -- that famous Galchenyuk has proven that he is a #1C season where he scored 30 Gs -- and show you how he scored 30Gs in a lost cause and by cheating with a net result despite scoring plenty of goals. He wasn't alone, mind you, and I'm not blaming him for doing so. At the time, I had hoped he would have, at least, gained confidence from it and moved on to another level. I am not anti-Galchenyuk, by any stretch, but let's not perpetuate falsehoods like some posters do.

In response to Bryson that s making me waste a lot of time unnecessarily by calling me out for things that just aren't so:

In his 30-goal season, Galchenyuk scored 20 of those goals in the season's last 40 games -- 15 of those in the last 22 games! Amazing, right? Not really.

In the last 40 games, MON lost 62.5% of its games (losing 25 of 40). In the last 22 games, despite Galchenyuk's amazing scoring prowess, MON lost almost 55% of its games (54.545%), going 10Ws and 12Ls in that stretch.

Now, Galchenyuk isn't guilty, on his own, of this misfortune, for sure, but he certainly wasn't playing a 200' game in a lost cause of a season and, not unlike Pacioretty, was padding his stats as he could. As I said, I hoped that it would have helped him gain the confidence, at least, to reach another hight as a player going forward. It didn't. Not yet, at least. Not in Montreal.

Maybe in Arizona, but there are no guarantees of it happening there either. If the ARI coaching staff is willing to live with a negative goal differential when Galchenyuk is on the ice as a top-6 C, fine, he's a shoe-in to get 30 again. If Galchenyuk finally puts the effort in -- even more than in his last season under Julien (it was a good sign, though, near the end of the season), and continues to improve his 200' game going forward, he might gradually turn that goal differential into an even keel statistic or, even, a positive statistic. That's still a lot of 'if's.

Besides, again in response to Bryson's comment that I'm overlooking that MON started playing .500 hockey when Galchenyuk scored 30, that's just not true and, by playing .500 hockey, you are far from making the playoffs, even had the team been playing .500 hockey. The injuries didn't help, of course, but the 15 goals in 22 games, still without a .500 record, mind you, was aided by the return of Gallagher, if I'm not mistaken.

At this point, Bryson has only proven to me that he's willing to make me waste my time by asserting just about anything in defense of what he purports, so I'll just assume that he's blowing smoke up my arse next time he quotes any statistic, instead of looking it up to make sure that my memory isn't flawed.

I say as much, at least, when I'm not sure.

Back to answering your question about a more offensive player's positive contribution to a team, though, Yanik:

Some of the blame is on the team, as always. There is no absolute blame, though, not on the player, not on the team. As with Michael Bossy, it is also up to the team to find the right complementary players to maximize the value of its talented players. Arbour told Bossy, early on, when Bossy expressed his concerns about his defensive play:

"You just worry about scoring and I'll play you with players that can handle the defensive side of the game."

That didn't mean to forgo all defensive responsibilities, but it did mean that Bossy shouldn't let his weakness dictate how he would play the game.

Now, Bossy was a RW and it's a lot easier to graft a 200' C on a line to play with a RW and have that line be, overall, defensively responsible, enough, anyhow, to have a distinctly positive goal-differential if that RW scores 50+ a season.

If Galchenyuk had been filling the net bi-nightly, there would have been zero talk about his inferior defensive play, but, again, apart from that loss leader season where he scored 30 goals while cheating defensively, he wasn't the offensive threat that some make him out to be. Not enough, anyhow, to absolve him from his defensive responsibilities.

In the end, the cult to Galchenyuk has blown out of proportions the question of Galchenyuk's need to play defensive hockey. In reality, the team didn't expect him to be the next Patrice Bergeron. They just wanted him to be statistically solvent (goal-differential wise) to justify playing him regularly as a top-6 C (or W, for that matter) against other teams' top lines instead of needing to give him sheltered minutes.

I agree that MON should not seek to transform every player that they have and should better surround them with complementary players, but there is a responsibility on the player's side to try and, at least, improve their overall game to a decent level.

Galchenyuk's play in his own zone against the Rangers, two years ago, was downright atrocious, like a deer in headlights completely unsure where to go and meek in his battles against opponents anywhere on the ice, offensively and defensively. He was lost, but I feel for him there. I don't blame him, per se.

At the end of last season, he was at least noticeably improving his 200' game and seemed to have finally espoused the teachings of Claude Julien. From where he was at the end of last season to where he needs to be to be good enough still requires work, but it appears to be attainable for the still young forward. being responsible enough defensively to play top-6 minutes may give ARI a 25-G, 55-60 point C, in the end, with top years where he scores 30 again and closer to 70 points, but I doubt that it happens next year, maybe not even the year after that with a net goal differential at the same time.

That's the nuance about Galchenyuk's 30-goal season.

I'm still optimistic that he can continue to progress in ARI, but a lot of it will depend on both the player and the team's treatment of the player.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I agree that Gorges was sold high.

They could've gotten a better return for him. Leafs offered Franson but Gorges said no. Next season franson was dealt with a bottom 6 forward for a 1st rounder, Leipsic and Jokinen. Leafs flipped those assets into getting Bracco, Dermott (who's a nhl player already) and dzierkals for trading down with that 1st rounder. They lost leipsic for nothing, but yeah.

Habs flipped the gorges pick + another 2nd for shaw.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I agree with you. If a purely offensive player, let's say, has a clearly positive net goal differential influence on the team, they should still be allowed to ply their trade freely. Unfortunately, with Galchenyuk at C, that wasn't usually the case and he had to be given sheltered minutes, except for the end of a lost cause of a season where he scored 30 goals.

Let me break it down -- that famous Galchenyuk has proven that he is a #1C season where he scored 30 Gs -- and show you how he scored 30Gs in a lost cause and by cheating with a net result despite scoring plenty of goals. He wasn't alone, mind you, and I'm not blaming him for doing so. At the time, I had hoped he would have, at least, gained confidence from it and moved on to another level. I am not anti-Galchenyuk, by any stretch, but let's not perpetuate falsehoods like some posters do.

In response to Bryson that s making me waste a lot of time unnecessarily by calling me out for things that just aren't so:

In his 30-goal season, Galchenyuk scored 20 of those goals in the season's last 40 games -- 15 of those in the last 22 games! Amazing, right? Not really.

In the last 40 games, MON lost 62.5% of its games (losing 25 of 40). In the last 22 games, despite Galchenyuk's amazing scoring prowess, MON lost almost 55% of its games (54.545%), going 10Ws and 12Ls in that stretch.

1) You're wrong.
2) You're perpetuating falsehoods like a champ.
3) Your "stats" are also wrong, because it imply that Galchenyuk was playing 60 minutes per game... and that's ridiculous.

Correct breakdown, On-ice GF/GA

2015-2016, from February 2nd (DD injury, AG promoted to 1C) to the end of the season (25GP):
All situation: 32 GF 26 GA 55.17 GF%
ES: 27 GF 22 GA 55.1 GF%

2016-2017, from the beginning of the season to December 5th 2016 (Galchenyuk injury) 25 GP:
All situation: 33 GF 14 GA 70.21 GF%
ES: 23 GF 14 GA 62.16 GF%

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Bergevin has been stumbling ever since he refused to do what was needed and fire Therrien back in January 2016.

I'd say he stumbled right out of the gate when he hired him in the first place. A guy who openly bashes your star player on a public show should automatically be disqualified from ever having a management position with that team. Especially someone as pig-headed as Michel Therrien. Did anyone think Subban was ever going to change his mind? I mean, come on ffs, this stooge should never have been hired.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Now, Galchenyuk isn't guilty, on his own, of this misfortune, for sure, but he certainly wasn't playing a 200' game in a lost cause of a season and, not unlike Pacioretty, was padding his stats as he could. As I said, I hoped that it would have helped him gain the confidence, at least, to reach another hight as a player going forward. It didn't. Not yet, at least. Not in Montreal.

Maybe in Arizona, but there are no guarantees of it happening there either. If the ARI coaching staff is willing to live with a negative goal differential when Galchenyuk is on the ice as a top-6 C, fine, he's a shoe-in to get 30 again. If Galchenyuk finally puts the effort in -- even more than in his last season under Julien (it was a good sign, though, near the end of the season), and continues to improve his 200' game going forward, he might gradually turn that goal differential into an even keel statistic or, even, a positive statistic. That's still a lot of 'if's.

Besides, again in response to Bryson's comment that I'm overlooking that MON started playing .500 hockey when Galchenyuk scored 30, that's just not true and, by playing .500 hockey, you are far from making the playoffs, even had the team been playing .500 hockey. The injuries didn't help, of course, but the 15 goals in 22 games, still without a .500 record, mind you, was aided by the return of Gallagher, if I'm not mistaken.

At this point, Bryson has only proven to me that he's willing to make me waste my time by asserting just about anything in defense of what he purports, so I'll just assume that he's blowing smoke up my arse next time he quotes any statistic, instead of looking it up to make sure that my memory isn't flawed.

I say as much, at least, when I'm not sure.

Back to answering your question about a more offensive player's positive contribution to a team, though, Yanik:

Some of the blame is on the team, as always. There is no absolute blame, though, not on the player, not on the team. As with Michael Bossy, it is also up to the team to find the right complementary players to maximize the value of its talented players. Arbour told Bossy, early on, when Bossy expressed his concerns about his defensive play:

"You just worry about scoring and I'll play you with players that can handle the defensive side of the game."

That didn't mean to forgo all defensive responsibilities, but it did mean that Bossy shouldn't let his weakness dictate how he would play the game.

Now, Bossy was a RW and it's a lot easier to graft a 200' C on a line to play with a RW and have that line be, overall, defensively responsible, enough, anyhow, to have a distinctly positive goal-differential if that RW scores 50+ a season.

If Galchenyuk had been filling the net bi-nightly, there would have been zero talk about his inferior defensive play, but, again, apart from that loss leader season where he scored 30 goals while cheating defensively, he wasn't the offensive threat that some make him out to be. Not enough, anyhow, to absolve him from his defensive responsibilities.

In the end, the cult to Galchenyuk has blown out of proportions the question of Galchenyuk's need to play defensive hockey. In reality, the team didn't expect him to be the next Patrice Bergeron. They just wanted him to be statistically solvent (goal-differential wise) to justify playing him regularly as a top-6 C (or W, for that matter) against other teams' top lines instead of needing to give him sheltered minutes.

I agree that MON should not seek to transform every player that they have and should better surround them with complementary players, but there is a responsibility on the player's side to try and, at least, improve their overall game to a decent level.

Galchenyuk's play in his own zone against the Rangers, two years ago, was downright atrocious, like a deer in headlights completely unsure where to go and meek in his battles against opponents anywhere on the ice, offensively and defensively. He was lost, but I feel for him there. I don't blame him, per se.

At the end of last season, he was at least noticeably improving his 200' game and seemed to have finally espoused the teachings of Claude Julien. From where he was at the end of last season to where he needs to be to be good enough still requires work, but it appears to be attainable for the still young forward. being responsible enough defensively to play top-6 minutes may give ARI a 25-G, 55-60 point C, in the end, with top years where he scores 30 again and closer to 70 points, but I doubt that it happens next year, maybe not even the year after that with a net goal differential at the same time.

That's the nuance about Galchenyuk's 30-goal season.

I'm still optimistic that he can continue to progress in ARI, but a lot of it will depend on both the player and the team's treatment of the player.

There may be people who can say with confidence that Chucky is simply not a top 6C, whether your standard is a 200 foot game or what we are talking about.

For me, it's unfortunate that I think it's an open question and it really shouldn't be.

We drafted Chucky to be our good sized 1C of the future. We needed him to be that 1C.

When he was brought up his defensive short comings were obvious. Our coach, MT, was clear that it was not his job to develop players.

Easy call. Return Chucky to juniors to work on his defensive play. Because we needed him as a centre, and our NHL coach was clear, he will not help in his development.

All common sense and logic was a return to juniors, because otherwise you were putting it all on an 18/19 year old to figure it out.

So years later, hardly any development of a defensive game. Not a centre.

In comes CJ. In one season, one, even at this late stage Chuckys 200 foot game starts to really improve, it's quite noticeable.

Ok, lost season. His game has improved. Give him a try at C and determine where that game is and whether the good outweighs the bad. But no.

Maybe Chucky never had it in him to be a centre for us, but aside from this one season out of the six he was here, this organization did not do what it could have to turn him into at least a passable top 6C. Completely inexcusable for me.

Keep Kotkaniemi in Liiga for the season. CJ is much better than MT with young guys and about development, but I would rather have Kotkaniemi play another year in the almost equivalent of the NHL before coming over. Just don't trust them.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
There may be people who can say with confidence that Chucky is simply not a top 6C, whether your standard is a 200 foot game or what we are talking about.

For me, it's unfortunate that I think it's an open question and it really shouldn't be.

We drafted Chucky to be our good sized 1C of the future. We needed him to be that 1C.

When he was brought up his defensive short comings were obvious. Our coach, MT, was clear that it was not his job to develop players.

Easy call. Return Chucky to juniors to work on his defensive play. Because we needed him as a centre, and our NHL coach was clear, he will not help in his development.

All common sense and logic was a return to juniors, because otherwise you were putting it all on an 18/19 year old to figure it out.

So years later, hardly any development of a defensive game. Not a centre.

In comes CJ. In one season, one, even at this late stage Chuckys 200 foot game starts to really improve, it's quite noticeable.

Ok, lost season. His game has improved. Give him a try at C and determine where that game is and whether the good outweighs the bad. But no.

Maybe Chucky never had it in him to be a centre for us, but aside from this one season out of the six he was here, this organization did not do what it could have to turn him into at least a passable top 6C. Completely inexcusable for me.

Keep Kotkaniemi in Liiga for the season. CJ is much better than MT with young guys and about development, but I would rather have Kotkaniemi play another year in the almost equivalent of the NHL before coming over. Just don't trust them.

I'd love to agree with you and throw it all into the coaching's camp when it comes to the failure to properly develop Chucky, but as I said elsewhere, some of the blame likely goes the player's way as well. In Chucky's case, some of the blame can likely go Chucky's father's way as he was definitely influencing how Galchenyuk approached the game.

I can't believe that the coaching staff refused to help develop Chucky because, as you say, it wasn't their job. I think it was more about not applying the lessons taught, personally. A 200' C, early on in a player's development, might not have produced as much offensively (while later on, with automatics defensively, it could have lead to a great counter-attack C that produced more points). IMO, Papa Smurf (Chucky's Dad) must have seen this as not being as financially rewarding in the short to medium term.

I'm pretty sure that the directive for Galchenyuk was to try to create as much offense as possible, which would explain how he held on to the puck too long at times, or tried to deke too many defenders...

Hopefully, for Chucky, if ARI plays him at C, he will play there until he establishes himself as a genuine top-6 C or until he irrevocably plays himself away from that position forever.

I hope the kid has success, as I hope that Domi has success in a Habs uniform. IMO, it's a great thing that the players are not in the same conference, never mind the same division. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How's that Big Screen holding out when tuned in to Habs games? :laugh:

It ought to get the Elvis treatment ...

2fcyib.gif

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Spent the last 5 days visiting relatives in La Malbaie Quebec. Sitting around a camp fire with die hard Habs and Nordique fans I was amazed at how every single Habs fan had lost total interest in the team and had pretty much moved on. Sad to watch this institution become this broken.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
In the same draft Yakupov was drafted by Edmonton, Murray was drafted by Columbus and Reinhart was drafted by NYI and they were all drafted by their teams to be top pairing D's or a top winger and yet we're the only team that 'screwed up' player development and got a raw deal by the hockey gods because we have the worst GM ever.

We don't need Chucky to be anything, he was the BPA at the time of the draft and hopefully he becomes a top C in the NHL. If he doesn't, c'est la vie.

Reactions: Chili

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Spent the last 5 days visiting relatives in La Malbaie Quebec. Sitting around a camp fire with die hard Habs and Nordique fans I was amazed at how every single Habs fan had lost total interest in the team and had pretty much moved on. Sad to watch this institution become this broken.
One of the best things that could happen to the Habs would be the return of the Nordiques, imo. I remember the Nords caravan coming to our building south of Mtl right around this time of year (Goulet, one of the Stastny brothers, David Shaw and a couple of others).

The rivalry was fierce and I believe really pushed the two teams to be better. Pittsburgh and Washington might be an example of that now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In the same draft Yakupov was drafted by Edmonton, Murray was drafted by Columbus and Reinhart was drafted by NYI and they were all drafted by their teams to be top pairing D's or a top winger and yet we're the only team that 'screwed up' player development and got a raw deal by the hockey gods because we have the worst GM ever.

We don't need Chucky to be anything, he was the BPA at the time of the draft and hopefully he becomes a top C in the NHL. If he doesn't, c'est la vie.

Nobody --- nobody -- has said that the Habs are the only team with bad development, stop mamufacturing strawmen.

Murray had awful injuries, and Yakupov was mishandled by Edmonton.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Teams that want to contend for the Stanley Cup need to get important things right, and that is usually in drafting and developing , but sometimes you nail it on a trade or Free Agent signing. And yes luck can play a role.

The Leafs were gifted Matthews but they also got Marner at 4 , Nylander at 8 and Kadri I think at 7th. All of a sudden they have a young core. Just like us some years ago, but we needed a couple more pieces.

My point is that we have to do everything to put together a winning team and that means having a great scouting department as a start. And sure there are going to be more misses than hits, but we need to be at least average in discovering top talent. Then we must do everything properly to develop the player.

If we want to turn it around we cant be wasting picks on 3rd line ceiling players ( and I am glad to say it appears for the last 2 drafts the approach has changed for the better ) and we cant risk messing up a players development by rushing him or not actually putting effort into developing the player ( and hopefully this has also changed with the coaching changes and CJ is better than MT at developing players, he at least thinks its part of the job description ). So moving forward I see changes have been made which should help address these concerns, so great. I am just saying it is too bad it all came too late for Chucky in terms of us being able to say we did everything we could have to make him into that top 6C.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Nobody --- nobody -- has said that the Habs are the only team with bad development, stop mamufacturing strawmen.

Murray had awful injuries, and Yakupov was mishandled by Edmonton.
Posters here have said much worse, I don't need to manufacture strawman.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Murray has battled significant injury issues...

Yakupov busted, but in the process the GM/Coaches involved in his early development were all fired, and there has been strong commentary about how terrible the Oilers approach to developing players in the years around that draft/during that management groups tenure... If anything, they are a bit of the standard for terrible player development.

MB is a terrible GM. He has managed to downgrade and/or devalue all of the talent that the organization has touched since his arrival, at this point this isn't even really a matter of opinion or debate...
Price
Patches
Subban, Weber
Galch
Radulov
Markov
Sergachev, Drouin

the ROI curve for every one of those assets has been a net negative for the franchise under his watch. It's almost impressive in how consistently he has eroded top-6/top-4 talent within the organization.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Hmm...ya...and if the Habs never win another Cup in their history, c'est aussi la vie. If that's your stance here, this jemenfoutisme...the hell are you even posting here for?
Habs are just a sports team, one that none of us have any serious ties to, so whatever happens to them, all of us still go by about our own business on a daily basis, completely unaffected.

What a silly stance.

Reactions: zeeto and Bryson

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

You do realize that those three teams are know for having terrible development. Things may have changed for Columbus recently but for a while they were considered terrible at developing players.

Reactions: Bryson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad