Marc Bergevin: Redemption Song Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Those are some solid arguments, mon champion.

Where would Bergevin be without Price?
Would have been fired years ago......Price has covered his ineptness as a GM.....we are now back to setting the bar so low, anything good happens, and MB is a genius. Amazing how people can be so gullable...
Price is the sole reason this clown keeps getting offered extensions....

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You don't know if we make the playoffs or not and you or I can't prove it.

Basically you are saying we are for sure locked in from 10-15 and not a playoff team.

- Youth growth don't matter.
- Better back-up don't matter
- Better forwards for Suzuki and KK don't matter
- Better D don't matter cause they can't move the puck

Nothing matters. That's the narrative you are presenting and it's extremely pessimistic. It reeks of Bergevin dislike and nothing matters until he is gone. The team is improving and the trends are there. You want us to be a cup contender and because we are not, we suck. 10 years... :blah:

I understand what you are saying but bud... don't you realize this is noise that we really don't need. Bergevin probably gets fired if we loose game 5 to the Leafs yes. But we didn't. Deal with it. We are in the final 4 (luck or not).

No without the Worldwide pandemic, the Habs don't make the playoffs and he's fired. Has nothing to do with the Leafs series.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I don't think you're biased, I mean, we are all Habs fans here. We all want the team to win in the end.
This question was more about the GM than the team though. If fans don't believe he can lead us to a cup, well, there's no point in keeping him around. So better not to fall for a smokescreen like beating the Leafs.
Well explained friend :)

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
2017+ Bergevin was ok. Big mistakes were made prior to that. Still not sure for the future. I enjoyed these playoffs but let's be real, it will be difficult to make them next year unless we improve the special units during the season. For that reason, I would keep Gustavsson until we find an equivalent offensive defenseman.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
First of all Colorado have absolutely nothing to do with Marc Bergevin and the historical lows we’ve been through on his watch.
Let’s all laugh about the facts that apply to this franchise if we want a real chuckle.

Or maybe we can all laugh at the bunch of negative Nancy we keep seeing around here the day before the first game of the Habs in the final four

:laugh::laugh:

GO:habsGO

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Another poster starting to see the light about the maestro
Really?

Schlemko (trade), Niemi (waivers), Morrow, Alzner, Hemsky, Kinkaid, and Semin signings worked out so well.

Letting go Markov and Radulov while offer sheeting Aho out of exasperation suddenly qualify Maestro as the greatest GM of all time. And there's more: seeing a top 4 D playing in the sunshine state that was once a top Habs prospect and signing a 30 year old long term that was once waiver material.....Let's not reveal the names of all those prospects lost to waivers for nothing. The list is long.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
2017+ Bergevin was ok. Big mistakes were made prior to that. Still not sure for the future. I enjoyed these playoffs but let's be real, it will be difficult to make them next year unless we improve the special units during the season. For that reason, I would keep Gustavsson until we find an equivalent offensive defenseman.
Thinking 2017 was beyond awful for this clown.....remember, Radulov, Markov, fiasco? That's just the start of his miserable 2017..............says Markov is getting too old, and brings in Streit who is older....
Last summer, was his first of 9 that he made a few moves that paid off. Finally making a decision to be competative....9 years is all it took.
Thinking the training wheels were finally taken off.....making him accountable is on the weasel owner....let's see what happens....
We are now officially back to CP31 covering over, all the ineptness at the top of the food chain...

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Bergey has done enough to be hired elsewhere. Maybe he wants out of Mtl.

I think that too, specially if the offer was 3 years most of the GM's contracts are 5 years and if he where to be available i have no doubt he could get a 5 year deal elsewhere

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There is no redemption if we look bad against Vegas. None. The ''division was finally just bad'' theme will be in full force. Problem is that Bergevin will still be able to sell the ''nobody saw us reach the 3rd round anyway''. The only thing we should wish is that if we lose against Vegas, we will see a 3-year contract instead of a 5-year contract. Same with Ducharme.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Those are some solid arguments, mon champion.

Where would Bergevin be without Price?
You realise that's the same thing as saying:

Where would Toronto be without Matthews, where would Colorado be without MacKinnon, where would Edmonton be without McDavid, where would Washington have been without Ovechkin etc etc?

Such guys get paid to literally carry their teams. Price is no different.

Bergy cocked many a thing up without doubt, but how many other GMs are on the golf course right now because their big-dollar superstar hasn't got things done when it really matters?

It's a shame we had to suffer Bergy v1 for all those years before getting the recent upgrade to v1. 5.

Reactions: dralaf and 417

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If Price lets in a goal in OT game 5 or 6 vs the Leafs, Bergevin is 100% fired. We battle back and now 3 year extension. Price has made hundreds of millions of dollars for other players, staff, and owners. Jeez.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Price lets in a goal in OT game 5 or 6 vs the Leafs, Bergevin is 100% fired. We battle back and now 3 year extension. Price has made hundreds of millions of dollars for other players, staff, and owners. Jeez.

This vegas series will tell a lot about this team.

But MB made the decision to give Price the big contract it would take get him here. So to those who simultaneously criticize him for on the one hand giving Price that contract and subsequently not trading him and on the other hand for only winning because of Price, well you can't have it both ways.

Reactions: dralaf and Walrus26

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is no redemption if we look bad against Vegas. None. The ''division was finally just bad'' theme will be in full force. Problem is that Bergevin will still be able to sell the ''nobody saw us reach the 3rd round anyway''. The only thing we should wish is that if we lose against Vegas, we will see a 3-year contract instead of a 5-year contract. Same with Ducharme.
I think MB is a bad GM. Full stop. He's made some good moves (some that are paying off for us right now) but he's still a terrible GM in my eyes.

But... we're in the third round now. I don't see the point in slamming him right now. If/when we lose we can do a postmortem.

If we do win against Vegas though, we'll have to have a conversation about whether or not this team was underrated. The team's analytics are actually pretty good. It didn't look like it on a lot of nights but maybe the team was better than we thought. Then again... weak division. So yeah, if we do lose that will be part of the story.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'll say it again before it happens this summer. He'll be extended for 5 years. And most people will be happy because of a winning streak at the right time. At least at the end of those 5 years he'll have run out of excuses. Hope i'm wrong about him thouh cause at the end of those 5 years i'll be ****** 50 years old ... so i'd rather be wrong and be able to enjoy hockey again before i die for more than a few winning streaks here and there.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think MB is a bad GM. Full stop. He's made some good moves (some that are paying off for us right now) but he's still a terrible GM in my eyes.

But... we're in the third round now. I don't see the point in slamming him right now. If/when we lose we can do a postmortem.

If we do win against Vegas though, we'll have to have a conversation about whether or not this team was underrated. The team's analytics are actually pretty good. It didn't look like it on a lot of nights but maybe the team was better than we thought. Then again... weak division. So yeah, if we do lose that will be part of the story.

Analytic have been great for the last 3 years though. It's not just this year. And before that 7 games winning streak we were 1 loss in OT away from a crap show and a very bad one. IMO while the vets are playing great the biggest difference is the kids. Suzuki played a crucial role in the last 3 games against the Laffs despite people giving all the credits to Danault. Caufield added a dimension that was lacking to this team.

But will it last long term? Will this management revert to vets when the kids will be in a slump next season? Will the management be able to trust a LHD kid to fill one of the biggest hole this team still have? I'm not sold yet personally i still believe MB will have the tendency to revert to what he knows best at the first slump and looking at our division next season wont be a smooth ride for sure there will be a slump or two. Let's enjoy the show for now but without forgetting the past. I hope Molson wil wait at the end of MB'S contract to think about extending him.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If it's true, why has Bergy been simply sitting on it?

Smells fishy
It’s very simple, Keep the focus on the playoffs, on the team.

For all we know, he’s already accepted the contract and is waiting to make the announcement after we hoist the cup

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's nine years in.

Bergevin is responsible for both the good and the bad.

Exactly... but right now the Habs are one of the last 4 teams standing and that's very good. He is obviously not incompetent and a lot of the things that people around here laugh at him for are actually coming in very handy in the playoffs. So is it possible he has more of a vision than he has been given credit for?

Reactions: ZUKI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad