Marc Bergevin: Redemption Song Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think he was getting an extension either way to be honest.

But yes...GO HABS GOOOO LFG!!!!!!
If we are to take the words of Waite at face value then I'm not so sure about that. Bergevin was desperate for results this year, that's why he fired Julien and Waite mid season. If they were going to lose to the Leafs in 5 as most expected, then it would all fall on Bergevin's next season, his potential last one.
But right now I think he bought himself some time, even if we're swept in 4 vs Vegas because Molson is incapable of having proper oversight.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
17 of the 25 players used during the 1985-86 cup run where from previous administration, should we say Big Serge only won us 1 Stanley Cup or is there a double standard there too

There's no double standard than the strawman argument you created.

You're also ommiting the fact the MVP in 86 was drafted by Savard.

Who drafted who would undoubtedly be our MVP if we win the cup? Not Bergevin.

All this to get a succinct example of how you talk brashingly about facts, yet ommit and ignore them when it suits your purpose. You don't really care about facts. You care about the cult of Bergevin's personality and you'll twist and spin anything to romanticize your French idol's bleak and dismal tenure.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

All this to get a succinct example of how you talk brashingly about facts, yet ommit and ignore them when it suits your purpose. You don't really care about facts. You care about the cult of Bergevin's personality and you'll twist and spin anything to romanticize your French idol's bleak and dismal tenure.

You're so funny, it happen that i dont really care if the GM is French or Chinese so you go there and assume that i do, but hey no worry i read alot of your posts here and i know how crappy you can be at times

The thing is i really think MB is a good GM the best we had since Serge and i would think the same if his name was Watson, you dont agree with me .......well fine with me, no hard feelings

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

Ya sooo

Do you think that winning the MVP means that you won the cup all by yourself, dont you think that 17 out of 25 is alot, do you mean that Gainey, Robinson, Ludwig, Naslund Carbonneau, McPhee or Chelios where not a big reason why we won the cup too

Come on now, if you cant see why you saying that MB's early succes is due to Gainey core comes back to say the 86 cup is due to the previous GM (witch i dont believe) hence the double standard in your way of thinking no matter how you gonna spin it, cuz i'm sure you will spin it

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I actually agree with Bergevin that too many fans expect too much of their teams.
How come?

I don't see how building a genuine contender, a team that's capable of several kicks at the can during a certain time span is an unrealistic expectation. Surely, a Cinderella run every five years or so is not the best we can expect from the Montreal frigging Canadiens? Especially when deep down inside we always feel like we've punched way above our weight during those runs and don't really have a realistic chance of winning.

It's not even about the Cup. If we had a team like the Sharks, who were a threat almost every year, or even a small genuine window like the Predators, I wouldn't be hard on the management. Sure, it would suck that we haven't won, but I'd console myself with the thought that the people running the club know what they're doing and have done almost everything of what could reasonably be expected.

Let's all hope this year's different. This is probably the first time when I don't feel like we are being outclassed, but this perception might be skewed by a bad Jets team.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
However, judging by a lot of posts in this thread (and I mean a LOT, especially in the first pages), it feels a bit ridiculous how most of you seem to think any GM should be considered bad and fired-worthy for not winning a cup.
He is not considered fire-worthy for not winning a Cup. The critics point to the fact he's not been able to build a contender, or even a reliable playoff team in 9 years on the job. Maybe he turned it around in 2018, but I don't blame those who don't have the trust to wait and see. And it's not like the majority of his critics want him gone this off-season. They advocate letting his contract to expire and then making the decision whether to extend him or not.

Mr Mom

Sep 17, 2014
You're so funny, it happen that i dont really care if the GM is French or Chinese so you go there and assume that i do, but hey no worry i read alot of your posts here and i know how crappy you can be at times

The thing is i really think MB is a good GM the best we had since Serge and i would think the same if his name was Watson, you dont agree with me .......well fine with me, no hard feelings
Forget about Watson

I would like us to get Ken Jeong as our next GM.
BUT, he HAS to stay in his character Senór Ben Chang 24/7.
I think that would be HALARIOUS for all hockey fans and GM's.
+ he might turn out to be as good as MB.....
You never know. Anything can happen when you make the playoffs!

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I don't profess to know all that much about Bergy, but I like seeing a guy get up off the mat, and do well. Love seeing the underdog come through.

Somehow, he has built by design or the divine, a heckuva club here.

You know what is sad in Leafland....... I am the only guy trying to point out, that they lost to a really really good tough, skilled team with a great if not the greatest goaltender ever seen.

All they do is beat up Dubas and Shanahan all day long, its sickening.

Leafs played well, they just underestimated the heart and soul of les Canadiens.

btw, did anyone watch Nadal versus Djokovic today.l...... Sublime tennis, two best players to ever possibly lift a racquet.
We aren't. You guys lost your best player, and the old choke syndrome reared its ugly head. Jets we split over regular season and they too lost their top player for being a dumb ass. We lose price how far do the habs get in the playoffs-see 2014 and krieder if you need a ref point.

Habs are better than some of us thought, but still not a good team by most metrics. I am predicting Knights in 6 OR habs get swept if they are too relaxed. Burningbin has a lot of luck on his side. Because if you check his last attempts at getting "vets" they mostly crash and burn. Even some of the praise he got for Anderson has worn off as its clear he is a solid player, but hardly "the steal that the maestro masterminded". Better fit than domi, but that wasn't by design. Toffi was just a throw in because he got the smaller contract than andy but has been great. MB would have signed him to a HUGE contract if he thought he had anywhere near the skill he put forward this season.

Tatar has slid off a cliff and this was part of his "amazing trade for useless patches(point per game players BTW, though I like the suzuki element of the trade)" Sergechev for douin, how is that working out for us. We changed 10 players this season. We lost mete and juulson for nothing. Waived them and used assets to pick up plugs costing more, that play no better. Staal was terrible in regular season and I have no idea how he has so many points because you don't see it on the ice!

Honestly the habs haven't made the playoffs with a proper above .500 (3 point games are BS) team in half a decade. Covid tournaments and missing over 1/3 of a season doesn't show the true nature of how teams would end the season. Another 20 games and I doubt habs make the playoffs, maybe miss by 2 teams. Take away our first 10 and its assured. Hell flip 2 wins from the nucks who we completely shelled and the habs miss the playoffs again.

Knights will be a tougher opponent. This is their second time in the con finals in their short time as a team. Impressive. Habs beat them soundly and don't rely on price I might give MB more credit. He built the team without a plan, just signed what he could and whoever would come through trade or otherwise. Most of it is hodge podge. If you check his moves, often a lack of, asset management and scouting/development staff. You can see many many errors. This year was a fluke more anything to many of us. The north was made for the habs as its a fairly weak division and the style of play canadian teams play is in our wheelhouse. That won't be the case coming up..

BTW I feel Tampa is basically cheating the cap system and should be punished for it.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
So basically, Molson offered him a 3-year extension before the playoffs even started. Why wait and see how the team performs after a subpar regular season right? It almost looks like he was in a rush to make that offer, whereas a competent owner with minimal vision would have been more patient. Geoff's a clueless clown.

Reactions: gregvb and EXPOS123

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My man Geoff Molson showing why he's a great owner and President. Always was happy with him and his penchant for stability, as well as his eye for talent in recruiting the Maestro and his continued confidence in him.

We're lucky to have him as owner of the club.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
So basically, Molson offered him a 3-year extension before the playoffs even started. Why wait and see how the team performs after a subpar regular season right? It almost looks like he was in a rush to make that offer, whereas a competent owner with minimal vision would have been more patient. Geoff's a clueless clown.
I honestly cannot believe he made an extension offer to this moronic GM - we really do have our own Harold Ballard.

if this comes to pass I will officially give up being a fan of the team

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

We all know why you hate him. Thanks for stating it outright.

Also, wow on minimising MB's role in creating this them when he's been the gm for nine years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad